load range E and tire pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone run load range E tires on their 4X4's and what pressure is good for snow ?

I usually run about 60ish all year, would going down to 50 psi be more effective in snow ?

thanks

½ ton or ¾ , 1 ton. diesel or gas. My ¾ -2500 Ram diesel needs at least 50psi in front to carry the 1000 lb engine. rears according to what I have in the bed or on a trailer. There are tables probably one in your owners manual.

I run about 55psi in my MT 3500 SRW 4x4 but I don't drive it on snow. LT265/70R17

50 psi for my E range LT265/70 R17 on my 3/4 ton. More important is that they are dedicated winter tires with a softer compound and aggressive tread.
smile.gif

Last edited:
60 front & 50 rear on dedicated snow tires on my Ram 2500 diesel. Narrow LT235/80R17 Hercules Avalanche X-treme on 17x7.5 OE steel wheels. May go LT245/75R17 or LT255/80R17 next time I need winter tires. The narrow tire on heavy truck cuts through snow really well and allows more pounds per square inch on ice.

My three season tires are LT265/70R17 on 17x8 OE aluminum run at about 60 all four corners and aired up to 70 in the rear when towing.

Originally Posted by pkunk
½ ton or ¾ , 1 ton. diesel or gas. My ¾ -2500 Ram diesel needs at least 50psi in front to carry the 1000 lb engine. rears according to what I have in the bed or on a trailer. There are tables probably one in your owners manual.
Cummins diesel trucks are a different story-mine being a 4X4, with engine, front axle, transfer case, & Mega Cab all adding weight, it gets 80 PSI in the front tires regardless of what is in the rear (LT285/70R16E Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2s). 10 plys just seem to get hot and wear strange if they don't have enough air in them, although they will ride rougher than a P-metric tire.

I've run E range tires on my '02 Z71 for the 11 years I've owned it. I run them at 35 psi all 4 seasons of the year. Never been an issue. Yes...it snows in Northeast GA.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
50 psi for my E range LT265/70 R17 on my 3/4 ton. More important is that they are dedicated winter tires with a softer compound and aggressive tread.
smile.gif

I run the same psi in mine. Which winter tire are you using?

For my Suburban 2500, 4x4 w 454- the factory tire pressure settings are 50 front and 80 rear. For better comfort and handling the manual says you can go down to 40 front and 50 rear if you do not exceed a certain load, which was around 1000 lbs.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Currently running 25 psi in our 285/70/17's on our FJ.

Probably the only right answer given here.
Because of the oversised tires for even a higher weight. Lower pressure makes possible to bite in the snow and loosen the snow when off the ground.
If you can give axleweights front and back in the situation you use it, I will google tire-specifications, and calculate a pressure for you.

If you want to do it yourselves, add 10% to the weight, and calc lineair, so (real axle-load+10%/2)/ maxload a tire . And x 80psi referencepressure belonging to E-load.
Because of 2 humps on rimm, the tires stay on rimm, even with low pressure.

Depends on the vechile and weight. I'm running LRE tires on my XJ, size 285 75 16. I run 30F, 25R on the highway. With my F350 (empty), I usually run somewhere around 50PSI f/r --- in the snow I end up dropping the rear to 40 to get traction. The 4x4 doesn't always work and the bed is too rusty to run a bunch of weight in the back.

Originally Posted by phillyFX4
should have mentioned tires …..BF Goodrich AT KO 2 285/65/18

You should have also told us the vehicle - and more importantly, what the vehicle tire placard says for tire size and pressure.

The tire shop set mine at 50 and that is what's on the door but I've have them at 45 and seems to ride a little better. 40 is to low and I loose some handling. They are LT225/75R16.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer

You should have also told us the vehicle - and more importantly, what the vehicle tire placard says for tire size and pressure.

2008 F 150 Ext. Cab 4x4 with A.R.E. Cap

asked BF Goodrich when I bought the tires 4 yrs ago and they said 50 psi …..asked about pressure for best snow performance last month and they said since I went up a size(from 275) I'd have to ask my Dealership .

tire placard inside drivers door says 40 psi .

also went from C rated to E rated …..

that's why I came to BITOG to run this past you guys who are more knowledgeable than me ;-)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NHRATA
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
smile.gif

I run the same psi in mine. Which winter tire are you using?

Cooper Discoverer ATW

Chalk the tires to make sure they are inflated properly for even wear. My Tundra has E rated and is 37 in front 35 in rear. My Tacoma E rated 35 front 34 in rear.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

2008 F 150 Ext. Cab 4x4 with A.R.E. Cap

asked BF Goodrich when I bought the tires 4 yrs ago and they said 50 psi …..asked about pressure for best snow performance last month and they said since I went up a size(from 275) I'd have to ask my Dealership .

tire placard inside drivers door says 40 psi .

also went from C rated to E rated …..

that's why I came to BITOG to run this past you guys who are more knowledgeable than me ;-)

According to Tire Guides, one of the tire options on a 2008 Ford F-150 Super Cab 4X4 was LT275/65R18's on 7.5" wheels inflated to 40 psi.

Unfortunately an LT285/65R18 has an allowable rim width range of 8" to 10". That means the tire is too large for the stock rims and will tend to arch across the tread face and perhaps be sensitive to ruts in the road and cross winds.

In order to compensate for that, you could reduce the inflation pressure to get the equivalent load carrying capacity - 37 psi.

Please note: There are other configurations of a 2008 F-150 Super Cab 4X4 where an LT275/65r18 has different inflation pressure - one being 45/60, so what others do may not be applicable to your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back