5SFE spark plug change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to start the car today and it cranked slow, stalled, and I wound up having to floor it to start. Cloud of blue and big gas smell. Garage stays above freezing, but it sat for a week so battery is probably getting old... but now I am wondering about plugs. I put in NGK (3452) BKR6EKPB-11 almost 80k ago, with new wires; is it time for new plugs?

I'd worry more about a stuck injector, but the plugs are so easy you should hit those too.

Trying to figure out what to shotgun here, but couldn't find a plug change interval. I think I will change the battery, I have no idea on it's age but slow cranking after a week is a good sign imho. Set of plugs won't hurt, then hope for the best. Maybe I will stop for a set on the way home.

Up to around 2011 Toyota I believe suggested 30,000 miles for standard plugs, 60,000 for Platinum plugs.

You would be about 30% past plug replacement miles.

Originally Posted by shanneba
Up to around 2011 Toyota I believe suggested 30,000 miles for standard plugs, 60,000 for Platinum plugs.

That's my take 100K miles, that's what todays' sparks are good for, but there is also a time factor as this is based on an average mileage of about 15K annually and as the plug ages it could develop cracks. Yes time for new plugs.

Originally Posted by shanneba

Ah thanks, I feared that much.

FWIW I do about 25k/yr in this car. Mostly 50 mile trips each way.

Platinum is only good for 60k

The good news is that the job is easy on your car. Be glad you don't have the 1MZ
laugh.gif

Home again. Battery says "shipped November 2013" so it could well be due. Says 12.90V after a nice long drive (and sitting); with headlights on it drops to 12.20V. Prostart brand.

Time out on edit.

Pulled the plugs, not sure they look that bad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I would say more than likely its the battery. Its due for a change anyways. I start thinking about replacing mine when they get older than 4 years.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Platinum is only good for 60k

Double platinums can go 100k under ideal engine conditions.

These plugs don't look all that bad for 80k miles.. I've def' seen worse at that mileage.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I would say more than likely its the battery. Its due for a change anyways. I start thinking about replacing mine when they get older than 4 years.

I usually get more than that, but I don't know much about the battery it has, nor how the PO treated it.
21.gif
Time for plugs and battery I guess.

Plugs won't cause the starter to turn slower than normal. New plugs might help starting in that situation but it's a workaround the real problem.

How are the wires and coils looking like - you have the waste-spark version of the 5S-FE. The starter might be tired but that doesn't explain the gas smell or blue smoke which can be injectors or worn valve stem seals.

Wires aren't that old, 3 years and 80k. I'll have to poke around and find my old phone and set up Torq to watch coolant temp, I guess. Motor does use a quart over 5k, but where I don't see oil on those plugs I don't think the valve guide seal are bad--maybe it's blowing out the exhaust, but I'd think bad seals would leave a bit more oil on the plugs, being in the center of the 4 valves and all.

I put in the new battery (Everstart 24F) and new plugs (NGK (3452) BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum) on Christmas Eve. Started just fine. Couple short trips that night. Put 200 miles onto it Christmas for a trek to the MIL's. Day after did 200 miles back home. No issues, although it wasn't that cold (freezing or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back