Possible counterfeit Hyunda filters. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received an order of six 26300-35505 filters from Amazon that I have reason to believe may be counterfeit. LINK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077W5KV6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Judging from the number of reviews for them, these are very popular and they seem to sell a lot of them. Reviews are mostly very good. For sure, they look great upon initial inspection, but after looking closer, I have my doubts about their authenticity. Specifically, I noted that the printing on the filter didn't look sharp, the stylized "H" on the internal bypass valve looked more like generic lettering than the one seen on authentic Hyundai filters and the stamping was less well-defined. The boxes looked "sloppy"--all of them were not exactly square and only used two colors (not including white)--original filter boxes also use the color Red (striping) in my experience. The filters were not supplied by Amazon, but a 3rd party vendor. Shipping was quick, the filters were well-packaged and included six aluminum crush washers of the appropriate size. The filters also have the plastic wrap covering the open end.

I shot an email off to MOBIS (South Korea) with my concerns and the aforementioned description to see if they could assist in verifying their authenticity. I'm also thinking about buying a filter from the local dealer and doing a cut and post, comparing the two. If they're not the same internally, I'll return them to Amazon.

Have any of you guys purchased these before? Thoughts? (See attached pics).

Stay tuned!

IMG_20191221_204628.jpg

IMG_20191221_204712.jpg

IMG_20191221_204751.jpg

IMG_20191221_204853.jpg

IMG_20191221_204915.jpg

IMG_20191221_204932.jpg

IMG_20191221_205050.jpg

Rock auto used to sell or may currently sell the Auto7 brand of filters.

They claim they produce the OEM filters, and all parts I ordered under the Auto7 brand were genuine hyundai parts in a Hyundai box, with an auto7 sticker slapped over the logo on the box.

My guess is these are parts intended for the korean domestic market, and a business found a way to make a profit, selling them in the US.

I have a few sonata filters left over I don't remember mine having that hologram on them.

NOT counterfeit.

Mobis is Hyundai/Kia's after market parts brand. The holographic Mobis sticker is intended to help insure that these are not counterfeit parts.

Maybe these are home country sourced, not through official Hyundai USA. I don't know if Hyundai USA is on the USA boxes, imagine it is, and people have shown M+H as the supplier. I think you possibly got a Korea market filter, nothing wrong with that. It does say new version in ad.
49.gif

Originally Posted by knerml
NOT counterfeit.

Mobis is Hyundai/Kia's after market parts brand. The holographic Mobis sticker is intended to help insure that these are not counterfeit parts.

Initially, I thought the hologram sticker would be the final arbiter of any questions, but it seems that they also can be easily counterfeited according to this site: http://www.nli-ltd.com/publications/hologram_counterfeiting.php

I also found an Alibaba vendor ( https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-factory-direct-sale-high-quality_62403062934.html ) that makes filters exactly like the Hyundai ones I have. I think a cut and paste is forthcoming!

Originally Posted by Robster

I would say you are sufficiently paranoid. Actually way to paranoid here
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with that printing on a "ten dollar a dozen". commodity item and looks like Mann-Hummel printing quality which varies.

BUT, I try not to buy anything critical off of Amazon third party vendor. Can be as Bad as Fleabay
but likely much "safer" than Alibaba
smile.gif

I have purchased Mann-Hummel So. Korean Hyundai/Kia filters from the Hyundai dealer and they appeared the same.

I didn't know counterfeiters can make laser hologram labels? I know Toyota (Denso) was using them on their filter BOXES.

These are NOT Mann-Hummel?

on an aside I tried to run these "universal Asian car filters" on a Nissan but they didnt FLOW good enough in the winter.
I had to go to a 14 dollar a pop Honda S2000 spec Filtec for the motor to run well. - and even that tore the media pleats

Do you know what they changed when they upped the P/N by 1 digit?

So maybe a Mazda Tokyo Roki is in your future
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JustinH
Rock auto used to sell or may currently sell the Auto7 brand of filters.

They claim they produce the OEM filters, and all parts I ordered under the Auto7 brand were genuine hyundai parts in a Hyundai box, with an auto7 sticker slapped over the logo on the box.

My guess is these are parts intended for the korean domestic market, and a business found a way to make a profit, selling them in the US.

I have a few sonata filters left over I don't remember mine having that hologram on them.

Napa also sells some Auto7 stuff, I got an ABS sensor with that brand, no problems at all it seems to be good quality. .

It you have any filters around that you know are legit, just weight them. The fakes are measurably lighter.

My 'understanding' from reading this board, Hyun/Kia OEM spin on used to be made by Mobis. Now they are made by Mann, same coo. Or so that the predominant information posted here.

And Auto 7 sold buy some outlets like RA looked like Hy/Kia OEM clones. However, that changed. A7 spin on filters coming out of RA then no longer appeared to be Hy/Kia clones. There were several threads posted here showing the change.

Perhaps there are a couple suppliers of H/K oe/oem filters. My 'speculation' is Mobis Hy/Kia OF are likely fine for use, probably identical like the Auto7 was.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
My 'understanding' from reading this board, Hyun/Kia OEM spin on used to be made by Mobis. Now they are made by Mann, same coo. Or so that the predominant information posted here.

And Auto 7 sold buy some outlets like RA looked like Hy/Kia OEM clones. However, that changed. A7 spin on filters coming out of RA then no longer appeared to be Hy/Kia clones. There were several threads posted here showing the change.

Perhaps there are a couple suppliers of H/K oe/oem filters. My 'speculation' is Mobis Hy/Kia OF are likely fine for use, probably identical like the Auto7 was.

Agreed. . . if these are real MOBIS filters, they are good to go. I'll concede that if they aren't "real" OEM filters, they are at least very good counterfeits, at least after examining the outside of them. Also, I didn't mention it before but these things are very heavy, and the external shell doesn't flex at all when squeezed--very rugged feel. My doubts about them began after viewing the Alibaba link previously posted, in which they showed the inside of the Chinese filters that looked identical to these, including the Hyundai stamp on the bypass valve. Would they go to the trouble of making a MOBIS holographic sticker and fake boxes? I dunno, but apparently it's possible.

I have gotten more fakes on amazon than ebay.. even amazon fulfilled and amazon sold/fulfilled

Originally Posted by knerml
It you have any filters around that you know are legit, just weight them. The fakes are measurably lighter.

Good idea.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
OP, if you don't trust the filters, don't use them. Piece of mind is worth the small cost. If I had any doubts I wouldn't use them. I've throw away brand new stuff before.

Scott

If I have any doubt about them, they won't get used on any of my vehicles and I'll get a refund. To satisfy my curiosity I'll likely cut one and post the pics up for the good of the BITOG community. I hope they are real OEM because they DO seem to be well-built and the price was fair. I'll try to cut one tomorrow--I'll be looking mainly for unevenly spaced pleats in the media, which seems to be a giveaway to counterfeit filters. I'd like to find some other MOBIS C&Ps if available. Stude '53. . .you got any pics of those?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Robster

These are NOT Mann-Hummel?

NO. MOBIS.

I don't know what the difference is. The last time I looked at Hyundai filters at Walmart, they were 26300-35504. I wonder if the -35505 filters are even being sold through official channels in the U.S. yet. This is the first I've seen of that part number, which is one of the reasons I bought them.

Do you know what they changed when they upped the P/N by 1 digit?

Nope.

They look good to me but they're also not in front of me like you. If I had doubts, I'd stay away too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back