Calling all 2.7 Ecoboost owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are usually less than $5 on Amazon. I put a new one in every time I change the oil. Did it on my last f-150 as well

Originally Posted by mcrn
So your Lincoln is sitting in your garage with no oil in it? Does anybody else drive it? If so you might want to disconnect the battery so nobody starts that thing with no oil.

That happened to my dad many years ago: he got called away while changing the oil on a car, and ran out of daylight. He decided to lower the car off the jacks, due to little kids etc. Never told my mom, and she wakes up early the next day and starts up the car to run an errand. I think the car made it about 1/2-1 mile and started running really badly, and cut off, so she walked home. I was pretty young, so I do not remember the conversation with my mom, but my dad was mostly mad at himself. They were generally very frugal, and it was a beater, so it was not a big deal to replace it. But they got a good laugh out of it later because was dad was a avid hunter, and he always preached that if you kill something, you have to eat it. Mom said that "technically you killed the car, so start eating".

my brothers f150 has the plastic plug, we have done 2 oil changes on it with no issues.

I suppose a couple extra plugs on hand wouldn't be a bad idea.

but as most would suggest get the motorcraft brand, the aftermarket plastic drain plugs are known to leak.

you can also buy a special plug with a cap and you remove the cap and turn in the other piece to drain it and then remove it and put the cap back on.

its pricey but you'll probably only ever have to buy it once, or shop around, might be cheaper elsewhere

https://www.amazon.com/RONIN-FACTORY-Drain-Raptor-Trucks/dp/B07H56TP4F

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by mcrn
So your Lincoln is sitting in your garage with no oil in it? Does anybody else drive it? If so you might want to disconnect the battery so nobody starts that thing with no oil.

That happened to my dad many years ago: he got called away while changing the oil on a car, and ran out of daylight. He decided to lower the car off the jacks, due to little kids etc. Never told my mom, and she wakes up early the next day and starts up the car to run an errand. I think the car made it about 1/2-1 mile and started running really badly, and cut off, so she walked home. I was pretty young, so I do not remember the conversation with my mom, but my dad was mostly mad at himself. They were generally very frugal, and it was a beater, so it was not a big deal to replace it. But they got a good laugh out of it later because was dad was a avid hunter, and he always preached that if you kill something, you have to eat it. Mom said that "technically you killed the car, so start eating".

if for whatever reason I have a vehicle sitting in the garage that shouldn't be started or moved, I take the keys out and put them elsewhere and put a piece of tape on the steering wheel and write on it do not start/move

Originally Posted by double vanos
Thanks guys. I'm thinking the coolness might have been a factor. The car had totally cooled off - it was a 50 degree day tops. Had the car up on jacks and got derailed with one of the wife's projects. When I got back to the task at hand even the pan was cold. Brittleness may have gotten the best of the tabs. They're pretty stiff for something so thin plus this was the first oil change since new if that means anything.
From here on I'll make sure everything is still nice and warm and maybe that'll help ease things.

That is not cold enough for plastic to become brittle. My guess is you had a plug that had a flaw.

Lesson learned. Do the job when it's hot and the plastic is still somewhat pliable.

Shouldn't matter though as that's basically what radiator drain plugs look like, but oh well.

Ford family is often perplexed on why it struggles to to get a property identity and proper footing with Lincoln, in today's luxury vehicle market.

This example of a plastic oil drain plug is one of many reasons to shop elsewhere for luxury.

Originally Posted by Nexoidian
They are usually less than $5 on Amazon. I put a new one in every time I change the oil. Did it on my last f-150 as well

Simply $5 more than a person normally has to spend.

Still on the original plug in my 16 f150 six oil changes in. Typically these break when people crank on them like a regular bolt or force them- and it is not needed or necessary. Possible this one had a defect...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
How many buyers of luxury vehicles look at the oil pan and drain plug?

Zero.

🤣🤣
Can't you just see a guy in a $600 Brooks Brothers suit under a Lincoln changing his oil !!!!!

Last edited:
i NEVER replaced a metal drain plug, thats my story + i am stickin to it!!!! a few dollars times thousands of owners equals $$$$! manufacturers continue to cheapen vehicles while increasing the prices of them!!!!

Originally Posted by PimTac
How many buyers of luxury vehicles look at the oil pan and drain plug?

Zero.

Read my comment again.. I'm blaming the top command at Fords. Not the purchaser.

What are composite pans supposed to fix? Lower weight, or more insulation for the motor (to reduce NVH and maybe to slow down oil cooling when shut down)?

I guess if it was a ten-cent item to change at every oil change, none of us would really care. A buck even. At that point it'd be like a crush washer. But at some point one has to wonder what the gain really was.

Originally Posted by benjy
i NEVER replaced a metal drain plug, thats my story + i am stickin to it!!!! a few dollars times thousands of owners equals $$$$! manufacturers continue to cheapen vehicles while increasing the prices of them!!!!

BINGO...it's cost cutting at the expense of the customer, and Ford continues to lose customers because of it.

Yep - when we were done with our ecoboost - we both went back to GM's.
The filters are behind all the various pans under the vehicles.
They are aluminum block, heads, and oil pan. But there is small steel sump where the steel plug screws into a steel thread, also behind all the pans.
No pans need be removed - easy.

Last edited:
I have one more free oil change coming from the dealership on the new F150 with the 2.7 intercooled twin turbo. After that when I commence doing them I'm going to keep a new one of these drain plugs on hand as a spare.

The dealership actually did a nice job with the first free oil change and used Motorcraft oil and filter of the correct specs and didn't over fill by enough to be concerned about.

I'm over on F150 Forum as well and while there's the usual skepticism on the composite oil pan and plug setup, I've read no posts about any catastrophic failures. However there does appear to be a known problem of the composite oil pans seeping at the pan-to-block seal. The symptom is the pan bolts heads slowly accumulate visible oil on them. There are reports of dealerships repairing this seepage leak as many as three attempts and still seeping. However there are equally a lot of reports of successful reseal on first attempt.

So far, I like the 2.7, however one thing I find curious is Ford's apparent love affair with black electrical tape under the hood. It's like 1980 all over again in there with regard to some of the wiring. Generous use of electrical tape.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yep - when we were done with our ecoboost - we both went back to GM's.
The filters are behind all the various pans under the vehicles.
They are aluminum block, heads, and oil pan. But there is small steel sump where the steel plug screws into a steel thread, also behind all the pans.
No pans need be removed - easy.

GM hierarchy are why the once largest company on earth, has shrunk to smithereens over the past couple decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back