C&P - TG9688 with 21K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you read that right this TG9688 had 21K on it and was on for 15 months. It was off of a family members kia spectra I wasn't able to do the OCI at the normal time this last time and told them to take it somewhere else, they said they would. Needless to say when I had time for an OCI on their car a few weeks ago, they "forgot" to ever get the oil changed. Oil was Mobil super syn with 1-2 make up quarts of oil. I do what I can but is not my vehicle and I'm not going to stress over their lack of maintenance.

Overall, the filter did its job and held up really well. ADBV still worked great and was pliable. The media did seem to be brittle but this filter was only designed for 10K ocis. The filter did have a bunch of debris in it. Poor car but it has 178K on it and probably wont be around much longer.

After this C&P, I have no doubt the updated TG filters can do 15K.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably giving the bypass a workout! Too bad you can't see the valvetrain through the fill hole on a Spectra. Pull the valve cover for posterity after they lock the engine up. I bet it's something to see. Couldn't ask more from that filter given the abuse it was subjected to.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69Torino
Probably giving the bypass a workout! Too bad you can't see the valvetrain through the fill hole on a Spectra. Pull the valve cover for posterity after they lock the engine up. I bet it's something to see. Couldn't ask more from that filter given the abuse it was subjected to.

Thanks for the post!

I know, right? I did have to clean the oil filler baffle off. There was some slime there due to the cooler temps. I do know this is the longest oci the car has ever had. We will see if the oil sticker reminder of 4k gets it back to me any sooner lol.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'd really like to see some believable 100k plus documentation on the engine life of these way over used oil and components.

So would I Johnny
smile.gif

Did the oil have 21k, too? The filter would likely look a lot better if oil had been changed a time or two within that distance and time. In contrast, the TG10358 I retired in October after 25806 miles (3 oil changes, 25 months) came out looking like new, with practically no visible debris captured.

Looks like it survived, for 21k miles that's saying something. Not surprised the silicone adbv still pliable, not that it would make a huge difference here. Like a peek down the fill hole or at the valvetrain on that Spectra.
shocked.gif

Thanks for c&p.

Looks very good considering the abuse.

That car is an excellent candidate for the Ultra and some M1 0w40 if you're going to be the only 1 changing the oil. Lol

The Fram TG9688s cost more than most-all TGs. They were almost $10 the last time I shopped. For that money and noticing how the pleats bend out of whack on most-all TGs, I'll stick to OEM Hyundai/Kia filters. Our NAPA is nearly identical to OEM and at $3.49, the pleats stay straight and OCIs of 4.5K make sense for me.

Originally Posted by CR94
Did the oil have 21k, too?

Sounds like it from the way his first post reads.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by CR94
Did the oil have 21k, too?

Sounds like it from the way his first post reads.

Correct. Oil and filter had 21k. Oil poured out just fine. Didn't look great but wasn't sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back