Looking to buy a forklift to move trailers around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that it's such a pain moving stuff around with the truck. Inthink it would be nice to just be able to pull the boat out real quick without needing to hookup and unhook, can't maneuver around stuff etc. Plus the obvious lifting advantages. Forklifts are super expensive, but I don't see why I can't get one for around $4k

Opinions?

ATV?

Rusted out Jeep, or any cute Ute (cuv) with blocks shoved in the springs if needed?

Oh you have a big boat right? I was going to suggest a garden tractor for moving them around, but a real tractor might be an alternative to a forky.

A forky would be very useful for other things, imagine never having to lift something in the back of a truck again.

Put a receiver hitch on the front of your truck - amazingly quick turns and you see it from the windshield looking forward

Originally Posted by tom slick
Keep in mind that if it is warehouse style forklift with solid tires they aren't very good on gravel or dirt unless it is very smooth.

And neither is a garden tractor once hooked to a trailer - had one wheel only spin out on gravel when I gave it a try

Originally Posted by 4WD
Keep in mind that if it is warehouse style forklift with solid tires they aren't very good on gravel or dirt unless it is very smooth.

And neither is a garden tractor once hooked to a trailer - had one wheel only spin out on gravel when I gave it a try

Well you can always get a tractor with posi,4x4 or individual rear brakes.

I think the forklift idea is terrible... for a multitude of reasons.

costs $$$$
you have to maintain it.
store it
possible damage using it.
and more.

all this to save 15 mins of inconvenience a week or less?

Originally Posted by 4WD

I've seen it done with smaller boats. OP has a boat over 30' IIRC, he posted a pic in a thread.

Don't know what other needs he has for a small tractor or forklift - the boat place I deal with has a loader bucket with a ball welded in, LoL … works for him but that is a busy place … he can still use the bucket to spread gravel.

Like I noted - a front hitch is pretty awesome and $200 or so ...

Do you have any experience operating a forklift? It's not something a rookie should take lightly. Serious machines for serious users.

Notes:
We have a forklift at the semi shop I work at. The parts gal uses it to unload a pallet of brake drums... . It's a Crown propane forklift. Gotta be licensed to use it.
Also to note is that many propane Forklifts still used ignition points well into the 90's. You don't leave the key on unless you wanna burn the points up.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
Do you have any experience operating a forklift? It's not something a rookie should take lightly. Serious machines for serious users.

Yeah I have experience. Lol. I worked retail for a couple years and you couldn't do anything without a forklift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back