Kohler 5e marine gas generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used Oil Analysis for a 2000 Kohler 5e gas marine generator. It is powered by a Kawasaki FD510 2 cylinder engine, 400 cc 16 hp. This unit has about 166 hours, and I have used Amsoil 10w40 on it since I bought the boat when it had about 40 hours on it.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 25
Copper and silicon look high. If you take the iron to be a basic baseline of how long/hard then engine to have been run, then the copper and silicon are high.

You need to do more UOAs to see if the copper and silicon come down.

Oil cooler?

Let me dig into the service manual and see if it has an oil cooler. All of my main marine engines have copper oil coolers so they always read a bit high in copper. Being a marine engine, it generally just has a flame arrestor and not a air filter, so I typically see higher silicon readings in marine engines. They had very few Kohler generators of this engine type, so they went back and scanned for the Kawasaki FD510 engine and included those values.

your flash of 365 is way more than 1.0% fuel
your susvis isnt that bad for the real value of fuel in the oil (closer to 2.5%)
your insoluables is high, but most of these motors do not have an oil filter...does yours?

while your tbn may be a good value, your flash/fuel shows your oil is not really in that great a condition

imho i would not go 40hours on an oci and i would switch to SRT as well

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Let me dig into the service manual and see if it has an oil cooler. All of my main marine engines have copper oil coolers so they always read a bit high in copper. Being a marine engine, it generally just has a flame arrestor and not a air filter, so I typically see higher silicon readings in marine engines. They had very few Kohler generators of this engine type, so they went back and scanned for the Kawasaki FD510 engine and included those values.

Correction- Kawasaki FD501D engine.

Originally Posted by sunruh
your susvis isnt that bad for the real value of fuel in the oil (closer to 2.5%)
your insoluables is high, but most of these motors do not have an oil filter...does yours?

while your tbn may be a good value, your flash/fuel shows your oil is not really in that great a condition

Fuel contamination might be because I had a cold start and only ran it for 15 minutes before changing the oil and taking the sample. This unit is carbed, not FI. That said, it seems all of my engines in any application have low flashpoints and excess fuel, except my 17 Ford Escape which is known for higher unburned fuel. Go figure.

Originally Posted by sunruh

Yes, this generator has an oil filter- in this case its a Amsoil Ea09 which is also used on some Toyotas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back