Wheel alignment - after new tire purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put on new Michelin Defender tires on my 2002 Odyssey with 207k miles. I was told initially that after new set of tires, I should always get a 4 wheel alignment. And that was my impression too over the years. So anyway, I scheduled a appointment with the dealership today and when I told them the reason for the visit - they said that if the van was driving straight and not pulling to one side or the other then I did not need a alignment. Actually with the older set of tires I did experience the van pulling to one side due to e defect in one of the tires, but ever since the new Michelin were installed, it has been driving perfectly straight on the freeway. So my question is - is the dealership right - in that I do not necessarily need a wheel alignment after new tires, unless it doesn't drive straight or pulls to one side?

I've had cars track straight but still have the toe off. It's nice the dealer didn't try to hard sell you an alignment. A lot of places offer free alignment checks. MI's abysmal roads probably don't keep cars in alignment for long.

Sometimes I wonder about auto alignments.

My guts tell me you are dealing with an honest shop.

Did the old set wear good?

old tires wore good, no pulling, no suspension work done, = no alignment needed.

Your alignment will only change if you have bent/worn out parts. If you line up a car with bent/worn out parts, that's just masking the problem.

If your old tires wore fine, no need for an alignment.

And actually, that's a great dealership, thumbs up to them for not trying to sell you something you don't need!

New tires balanced and installed. Any pulling or weird wear than maybe. I personally wouldnt bother unless u noticed an issue.

I alway look at how my previous tires were wearing. If the old tire were wearing decently(no irregularities) and my car drove nice & straight(steering wheel also straight) then, I certainly wouldn't spend the $90-$100 for an alignment.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I alway look at how my previous tires were wearing. If the old tire were wearing decently(no irregularities) and my car drove nice & straight(steering wheel also straight) then, I certainly wouldn't spend the $90-$100 for an alignment.

Best advice.

If the old tires wore even and no unusual wear , then don't worry about it.

One time, I was at firestone, to get my Front brakes checked, standard tranny with over 100,000 miles. They said front brakes are fine, rear drums and brakes are shot?

I know the rear brakes cant be shot, they were done not long ago, so I go up to see, and then mech said pads are fine but rotors are out of spec. I took the vehicle and decided to buy new drums, then I can later take to have pads replaced(when due) they wont install customer parts, when I measured the new drums expecting tighter tolerances, they were the same as the old drums they were telling me out of spec. So I took the new drums back for refund.

7 or 8 year later Im still on those out of spec drums , I did replace rear brake pads myself, cause I wanted a certain type, Bendex

One time, I had the vehicle in there, and they said you getting a lot of corroision around the battery post, sold me the green pads. Later I went to have a new battery warrantied, they were too buzy , so I just went to autozone and installed myself. When I went to replace the battery , the whole battery post was wobbling. That's [censored] me off, cause that battery was under warranty when they installed that corrosion kit.
but the corrosion was so bad by that time, I had to go to Toyota and buy the entire cable connection assembly.

Point, always check the mechanics work afterwards.

I heard that story before. Here's my take, and the take of some very knowledgeable people on this subject. In fact Trav and I spoke about this a few times too, his take echoes mine. If the old tires were wearing good, there were no steering issues, and no parts replaced, LEAVE IT ALONE! I've had more alignments messed up, by having an alignment done. I've seen some pretty impressive looking state of the art Hunter Alignment machines in shops. Those machines are as good as the tech using them, and more times than not the tech is not up to the task. Now I will only do a wheel alignment when there is some issue regarding tire wear, front end part replacement that might impact alignment, or the car indicating to me by some steering issue that an alignment is needed.

Originally Posted by Rand
old tires wore good, no pulling, no suspension work done, = no alignment needed.
I go with that philosophy too.

Many years ago I decided to have an alignment done on a Civic with lots of miles, mostly because new tires and never had one done. No unusual wear noted, just thought a good idea. Took it to a dealer. He must have put it on the rack, readout was within spec(s) (but not centered), and car back in hardly anytime. $70 out of my pocket. Lesson learned. That and in the case of alignment, messing with something not broken, not best practice imo.

I agree don't align unless its necessary. If you rotate every 5000 miles and the vehicle tracks straight you should get good life out of the tires. Keep up on rotations and air pressure. My 2014 Tacoma has 80,000 miles on the tires and I have been wanting to replace them but they still have 5/16 of tread left. It tracks straight. I will have to align it when I replace the tires since I will be rebuilding the Fox Shocks and adjusting the height a little in front.

Originally Posted by samiamz
…… So my question is - is the dealership right - in that I do not necessarily need a wheel alignment after new tires, unless it doesn't drive straight or pulls to one side?

There is a risk that the alignment isn't as good as it could be even if there isn't any pull - that there are alignment settings that compensate for each other and will wear a tire faster and/or unevenly, but NOT produce a pull.

So the question really is: How much risk am I willing to accept? Am I willing to accept that I might wear a set of tires out prematurely and/or unevenly?

In my case, I am willing to take that risk.

Alignment machines dont take into account worn bushings. You could load a car with worn bushing 3 times and 3 very different toe and caster readings.

A good tech will put a load on the tires and look how far it moves.

Also with gas strut cars - if you just had lift service then you shouldnt go onto the rack.

The suspension will be tippy toe and you'll have incorrect toe after it settles.

if it steers straight and the wear is even then you are GOOD.

like someone said correcting to for bent locating arms will not produce good results.

Fix the bad parts then check the toe.

ANOTHER THING: SHOULDN'T CARS HAVE AUTOMATIC TOE-IN CORRECTION BY NOW?

Like demarpaint, I've never had the alignment touched unless I know there is a problem. I don't often keep my vehicles beyond ~100K miles, but haven't needed an alignment by itself in probably 30yrs.

Well, if there is an actual pull, an alignment won't fix it. It is just good practice to do an alignment as maintenance every couple years, about the same schedule as replacing tires. So, installing a new set of tires will make zero difference to the alignment, but personally, I would say it is a good time to have it done.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
personally, I would say it is a good time to have it done.

if you had to take your car to a random joe for alignment its different than doing it yourself.. If I knew someone who did a good job I would consider it more often. I cant tell you how many times I've gotten a bad balanced tire.. let alone a bad alignment.. ie worse than before the alignment.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
personally, I would say it is a good time to have it done.

if you had to take your car to a random joe for alignment its different than doing it yourself.. If I knew someone who did a good job I would consider it more often. I cant tell you how many times I've gotten a bad balanced tire.. let alone a bad alignment.. ie worse than before the alignment.

You have to find someone who actually knows what they are doing. Anybody can throw a car on a rack.

Originally Posted by JTK
Like demarpaint, I've never had the alignment touched unless I know there is a problem. I don't often keep my vehicles beyond ~100K miles, but haven't needed an alignment by itself in probably 30yrs.

Smart move imo. I keep my vehicles past 100K miles, and as long as I don't do front end work, the car steers properly, and there is no uneven wear on the tires I leave it alone. The odds of having the alignment screwed up and causing early wear far outweigh leaving a perfectly fine alignment that isn't wearing tires alone. I learned the hard way more than once and had good alignments messed up because I was taught to get an alignment with new tires, not anymore! Now I go by the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back