Recommendations on a 30 gal Oiled Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a 30-gal "oiled" compressor that can run off of 120V and a 20-amp breaker.

These are currently my three options:

Campbell Hausfeld XC302100 - $679: https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-XC302100-Air-Compressor/p102440.html

Husky C302H - $479: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...-Electric-Air-Compressor-C302H/206695048

Kobalt XC302000 - $529:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-KOB...ctric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1000528965

My knowledge of air compressors is fairly limited, but conceptually, I view these options to be more similar than different; they are all 30-gal oiled compressors. I only plan to use the compressor for filling tires, running an airlift-style coolant refiller and very occasionally, an air hammer. My impact tools are all cordless.

Due to space and power issues, I am limited to a 30-gal that can run off of 120V.

Are there any significant differences in performance or durability between any of these options?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
It's a shame you are limited to 120V as 220/230/240 would be better in so many ways.
Careful check the ratings you revise are for 120V & not the higher voltages.
I have a 12VDC compressor as I am limited in space.
Cheers,
Iain.

I have a two cylinder Campbell Hausfeld that I bought at Tractor Supply. The tank is horizontal and it can be rolled around the floor. It runs on 120V and a 20 amp breaker and I run power tools (grinder, impact wrench, chisel, etc) with no problems. It cost just over $500 at the time. I have had NO problems with the unit and it gets reasonable levels of intermittent use. I always drain the tank when I am done.

My advice....go somewhere and pick on up. DO NO HAVE IT SHIPPED! I have heard too many horror stories of compressors being seriously damaged when being shipped and it takes forever to get parts to repair them. I picked mine up at TS and drove it home in my station wagon. Had a neighbor help me get it out and I set it up in no time.

120V compressors are for intermittent use or low demand tools only. Sure, you can run high demand tools for a few seconds before you will have to wait for the air pressure to refresh to working levels but make sure this will satisfy your needs. I would choose an Ingersol-Rand or Quincy.

You don't have central air or a dryer at home? Pretty easy to tap into that and make an 240V outlet. And why oiled? Seems like a maintenance headache. I have an oilless 60 gallon Craftsman Professional that's over 10 years old now and it runs most every day. Never had a problem with it

Check the CFM ratings, and compare to what youll need multiplied by 1.5. Most times the little guys cant keep up unless youre at the higher end of the price range. I have the little HF 21 gallon guy at home, at 125 PSI my air gun is worthless, it just doesnt flow enough at 5 CFM through the smaller fittings and piping the cheaper units usually come with. My shop compressor is a Champion 80 gallon 5 hp unit that flows 17 CFM at 140psi, for comparison to what a shop would use.
https://www.compressorworld.com/5-h...3pUAs4QMcR3XCcM-44awC72i2choCrpUQAvD_BwE

Probably not a whole lot of difference on them compressors. The pumps are where you get what you pay for with how long they last. Looks like the Campbell Has 5000 hr rating which is good and a nice warranty.
Another worth looking at is a Quincy. About the same $ as your Campbell, a 26 gallon tank but way more efficient pump at 7.4 cfm at 100 psi and quincy has a 10,000 hr pump life so it might be worth a look.
I have the Quincy and super happy. https://www.aircompressorsdirect.co...30gDGEjjxeo8tlBMqw1lfme-CFRoCxpkQAvD_BwE

Also, bought mine from aircompressordirect. Great Service and quick ship.

Many of these are 120/240. I looked at a lot of options and found that all are mostly the same, IIRC, most are actually made by the same manufacturer. IR also has a "garage mate" that looks pretty good, and then on the higher end, quincy (IIRC) has some nice ones for a bit more money.

This is another option to consider:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200518764_200518764

Only 20 gal but a nicer, less "fat" form factor, and Im not sure that much more capacity is needed. I spray oil with mine without issues, any intermittent tool would be less stressing.

The non-pneumatic tires are a nice touch on it, IMO.

Regardless of what you pick, go to HD and get some SOOW or SJOOW wire in either 10 or 12ga (preferably 10ga) and make a proper length extension cord with better conductors. It made a big difference in how it runs out in my garage (my detached garage has only a 14GA conductor going to it).

[Linked Image]

Hi Mike.
The only thing I can add to this thread is that I actually own the Husky(very, very similar) that you linked. The few difference are, is that mine is ~6 yrs old and they've made some changes on the one you're looking at. I like mine very much. However, me being a shadetree, I don't use it nearly as much as you will. But, I'm happy with it just the same!

Good luck,

CB

What's the true difference between oil and oil less in terms of service life?

In an non heated garage, I would think oil free would be more ideal. Less resistance in 0*F temps. I've read they can trip breakers or simply not run.

I have an IR 60 gallon compressor with a massive 18.1 CFM pump on it. It has a nice flat area on the sides that I've thought about getting an oil pan heater for. It doesn't leak so in the event of an emergency where I can't wait on the heater, there should be enough air in the tank to fill a few tires without turning the motor on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
What's the true difference between oil and oil less in terms of service life?

In an non heated garage, I would think oil free would be more ideal. Less resistance in 0*F temps. I've read they can trip breakers or simply not run.

I have an IR 60 gallon compressor with a massive 18.1 CFM pump on it. It has a nice flat area on the sides that I've thought about getting an oil pan heater for. It doesn't leak so in the event of an emergency where I can't wait on the heater, there should be enough air in the tank to fill a few tires without turning the motor on.

If I was filling tires or painting, I'd consider oil less. If I'm using air for tools that need some oil supply, I wouldn't care. IME oiled are quieter.

I just did an experiment last night. My detached garage has a 14ga conductor buried from our house. It's at least 25 feet from the house to the outlet, and at least 25 feet from our panel to the point where the conductor exits (probably a decent amount more given bends, turns, changes in elevation, etc. ). This circuit is protected by a 15A breaker.

My compressor has a 15A motor @ 115V, per the nameplate.

The compressor was stone cold, ambient was 27F, tank at 0 psi. Haven't run the compressor in months.

Started it up with my ~25 ft hardwired 10ga SOOW extension cord connected to the outlet in my garage (fed from a 15A breaker, and this circuit also provides power for the lights). Usually if I was running much, I have a 10Ga fed 20A outlet on the outside of my house, and a ~25 ft 10ga extension to connect the other 10ga run on my compressor to the house. This gives good voltage and minimal drop, no issues for any use. When I first bought my compressor it had a short 14ga cord on it. It couldn't run from the outlet in my garage. Replacing that with the 25' 10Ga. SOOW cord remediate that. But I'd still not run it in this configuration long term. Under some use I'd still be expecting to open a breaker and expecting to have issues. But for the experiment using the 14Ga conductor is a good test

Voltage was 121.x at the outlet with no load.

Flipped the compressor on, saw >20A spike for a second or two, then dropped to ~11A. As pressure increased in the tank, current draw increased. Saw exactly 15A max on the kill a watt. (Breakers have a current time characteristic and don't just open when they hit a small amount over eating).

Also saw 6V drop under this load.

So in the cold with good oil and a good hardwire cord to the compressor, a 15A rated unit will work just fine.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Given the choices I go with: Kobalt XC302000 from Lowes.

Agreed, has a better warranty than the Husky, essentially same specs as the Campbell Hausfeld for $140 less.

Critic,

Do you need a brand new 30 Gallon Compressor? Anything available on CL used for a good price or are you set on the ones you had listed? I know you normally don't go for the cheap stuff when it comes to tools.

As others have said go with the Kobalt XC302000 from Lowes if you are buying new.

If you have a Lowes credit card, you can get 10% off today, Sat Dec 21. That would help a bit on a very good compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back