New vehicle packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to look at the 2020 Explorers. Wasn't gonna buy today, maybe next year, just wanted to see what was out there.

I wanted white or black, v6, rwd not awd, but a more basic level not a fancy one.

Nope, you can't get a v6 without getting an upper trim level.

How disappointing. I don't want to spend a bunch of money for crap I don't need and I don't want an Ecoboost.

Both of my Escapes were weirdly packaged. The 08 V6 was super basic while my 10 4cyl has way more features. So even just 10 years ago the engine size had nothing to do with the features of the car...

Same issue with manual transmissions in many cars...base model ONLY! If you want leather seats?..you ain't changing your own gears.

I don't like the packages either. I am looking at a 2020 SantaFe and to get a heated steering wheel I have to spend an additional 5K for a package that it comes in.

Almost all vehicles are trimmed this way. It's the same way with houses. At least by me, a really nice small house doesn't exist. You want granite in the kitchen then, unless you're buying a condo or townhouse, you're looking at 4+ bedrooms.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Almost all vehicles are trimmed this way. It's the same way with houses. At least by me, a really nice small house doesn't exist. You want granite in the kitchen then, unless you're buying a condo or townhouse, you're looking at 4+ bedrooms.

Not here. You can buy a small or large base model and option it however you want. Of course the 1200 sq ft base model is more modest than the 2800 sq ft base model. But that's a different story.

I really like this base model Titan, the only option was a package that included a receiver, trailer plug, spray-in bed liner and a small basic overhead console.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Not here. You can buy a small or large base model and option it however you want. Of course the 1200 sq ft base model is more modest than the 2800 sq ft base model.

There's definitely a market for small high end houses for retirement folks.

Not here. You can buy a small or large base model and option it however you want. Of course the 1200 sq ft base model is more modest than the 2800 sq ft base model.

There's definitely a market for small high end houses for retirement folks.

Very true. I just bought a small house a few years ago in my neighborhood that hasn't been updated since the 70s. Totally redo everything is brand new. Extremely happy it fits our lifestyle and cut our bills In half compared to our old MC mansion. Now I need to think about retirement but probably not for another five years one more to put through college.

Hate to say it, but get used to pretty much no choices (maybe color) Most Jeep s (Any Models) will be just in the higher trims only. Along with some Hondas and GM.

Sales are going to start dropping now, since the goal is to maximize their dollar.....

My complaint is leather! I want all the options with a nice cloth upholstery.

I'm the opposite. I want all the options because when you buy used, you're not really paying for the options because they go by book value and many options don't add any extra value so you get extra stuff without having to pay for it. Which is probably why fully loaded cars are hard to find used because the new car buyer didn't want to pay for it. Although some people leasing cars get them loaded as they don't have to pay as much for long.

I like having the panorama sunroof and real leather too. Plus I like the look on people's faces when you show them the power trunk closer. You should also try a car with massage seats too, nice on long trips.

Does any maker offer options ala carte any more?

Of course!
I hear Brabus (tuner to MB) offers this service.
This is in addition to Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Marin, BMW Individual etc.
many options to choose from, you just have to have the funding.

Sometimes the way powertrains are packaged in models is a little baffling.

Like a diesel F150 absolute stripper long bed crew cab (iirc) or top of the line, want a Supercab XLT with a diesel and no soup for you... at least the 2020 F250 can have a 7.4 pretty much across the model line...

Sounds like VW is going to offer the manual in the 2020 R-Line Jetta which is bucking the trend...

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Yep... I hate sunroofs, but the options I actually want seem to have that ridiculousness tacked on.

You also hate puppies and unicorns? Who doesn't like a sunroof open on a nice spring day?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Yep... I hate sunroofs, but the options I actually want seem to have that ridiculousness tacked on.

You also hate puppies and unicorns? Who doesn't like a sunroof open on a nice spring day?

Me lol.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I'm more of a cat and fish kind of person
lol.gif
I've opened the shade to my panoramic sunroof <5 times on the 300 since we bought it!

Sunroofs leak/break/make noise etc.. they are nice when new.. not so much after 5-10 years.. they also reduce the head clearance in car by 1"-2"

The car package thing is common..

My jeep I wanted the upgraded stereo.. it wasnt available unless I got the "elite trailhawk" which is an additional $3000+

other non-trailhawks you could just order with the upgraded radio/speakers.

for years on subaru if you wanted a MT you had basic options only.. in 2015 I had to special order one from the factory they had 3 forester premium MT in a 12 state area.. none with winter pkg.. there was a few of the base MT. You couldnt get the XT or touring with MT. Fast forward.. now no MT.. and not a giant fan of CVT.

Manual transmissions are dying out in part because auto makers are packaging them in way that the public doesn't want. Base model only on many cars, or a random selection of higher trim options that isn't something people want.

The Tacoma can come in Manual, but only at high trim levels, and not with a long bed, unless you get the 17" wheels and "sport" package.

The Mazda3 comes in manual only in the front wheel drive hatchback in a premium package (what if I want AWD?)

The local Nissan dealership told me you can't have a 4x4 Frontier with a manual because "how would the manual transmission drive all 4 wheels?"
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back