TSLA at 52 week high

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I wonder how much of the gains is attributed to Tesla performance and how much to lack of Elon's tweets ...

Elon is certainly all over the place...

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by Wolf359
People love to hate this American leader in EV's.

I'm delighted to see Americans with the best product again,

Its been ages since our automotive sectors lead the world.

UD

Not hate it, it just doesn't make any sense. Look what happened to Prius sales. Everyone who cared about fuel economy eventually got one and those that had them ended up with different cars later so sales plunged. The rise is probably due to all the short sellers getting out of the market. Eventually they'll probably jump in again so it's going to make for a roller coaster stock. It already is from the last drop earlier this year. Maybe they'd have a future if that pickup wasn't so bone ugly.

Pretty sure the Prius is the original and best-selling hybrid in the world.

The parallel with the prius that stick out to me was everyone saying - wait till "X" comes out with their version of it - " its going to kill the prius."

That car never really materialized out of GM/Ford/ Chrysler, or anyone for that matter.

I suspect the smaller version of the cybertruck will be a much more conforming type vehicle.

I think it will be anything but easy for tesla, but am rooting for them to succeed vs fail.

UD

I think I bagged you in another thread. Read up on the latest Prius sales. It may have been and may still be the best selling hybrid in the world. But their sales numbers are way down from a few years ago. There's the love of SUV and pickup trucks, those are the ones really selling and that's where the profits are. OPEC has had to cut production. Tesla like all car companies are still at the mercy of the economy.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

There have been a lotta TSLA shorts.
Those peope are getting killed.

You have to at least wonder why they're in it. They of course could be completely wrong which is why they got out. But some people are smelling blood in the water and want to be there when it falls. There's the greater fool theory too. Eventually you run out of fools and then the stock falls. At least hot stocks like Microsoft or Intel at one point made tons of money, selling an additional unit was almost pure profit once your costs were accounted for. With cars, your price per unit is still pretty high compared to software. Tesla is still under performing the S&P 500 this year though.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/tesla-stock-record-high-more-pain-short-sellers

I dont think people buy teslas soley for economy so I dont think the analogy is meaningful regardless of the pruis current sales.

Not sure why you mean being bagged in a another thread but I dont recall anything specific.

Dont disagree SUV and especially pickups are the hot sellers but thats hardly news the f150 has been the best selling vehicle in America for a long time

Do you predict teslas model y will be successful?

UD

^ I can say I'm more interested in a Model Y over any other model. Their first car I'd actually buy.

Model S: too expensive
Model X: too expensive
Model 3: Too small for my "do-it-all" vehicle & I don't like sedans.
Model Y: About perfect. Practicality of a large hatchback/small SUV, but priced within reason.

Originally Posted by E365
^ I can say I'm more interested in a Model Y over any other model. Their first car I'd actually buy.

Model S: too expensive
Model X: too expensive
Model 3: Too small for my "do-it-all" vehicle & I don't like sedans.
Model Y: About perfect. Practicality of a large hatchback/small SUV, but priced within reason.

Pretty much me too- and Ive been able to pretty much drive them all - and can afford any one I want, but won't spend stupid (S-X) money on depreciating liabilities..my employees do it then trade for my trucks on weekends.

Im holding onto my 06 RX400H until the Y then will reevaluate.

My trucks aren't going anywhere.

UD

Last edited:
The thing about Tesla is that I've heard its extremely difficult to make your own private repairs on these vehicles. Basically, they want you to service them only at a Tesla Dealer. Even then, I've heard that replacement parts for these vehicles are really hard to get. Tesla is what a 10 year old company? They have A LOT more growing to do to become a big car manufacturer.

IF another big car manufacturer for example Toyota comes out with an all electric car it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

However, a huge appeal of Tesla is that it is perceived as a luxury car and upscale brand in general. Not just another boring Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc.

It almost seems as if the big auto manufacturers are waiting for the electric charging network and demand for fully electric vehicles to grow more so that they can easily step in and make big profits

That sham video of the cyber truck pulling a base model two wheel drive crew cab F150 with no locking differential nor limited slip a 3.31:1 axle ratio, and the base 3.3 V6 ... that absurdity must have really made an impact with the speculators. The rims on that F150 are a dead giveaway because they only come on the base model when equipped with an appearance package. Same 20" rims my base F150 has with the STX appearance pkg.

Maybe the cybertruck might still win a tug of war with a 4wd F150, locking 3.73:1 differential and the max tow package with 3.5 ecoboost pulling with the transfer case in low range 4WD. But that's the way the first F150 should've been equipped, or any ICE truck had it been a Silverado, Ram, Tundra, or Titan. Tesla proves nothing by tugging a two wheel drive base model ICE pickup truck not even equipped with limited slip differential.

I personally like Tesla. Makes fuel cheaper for people who don't want pure PEV's, like me. NO problem sharing the road with them, glad that I don't have to share the pump, though.

That said, my likes/dislikes mean nothing. Their profit margin does, though.

Originally Posted by daaneel
The thing about Tesla is that I've heard its extremely difficult to make your own private repairs on these vehicles. Basically, they want you to service them only at a Tesla Dealer. Even then, I've heard that replacement parts for these vehicles are really hard to get. Tesla is what a 10 year old company? They have A LOT more growing to do to become a big car manufacturer.

IF another big car manufacturer for example Toyota comes out with an all electric car it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

However, a huge appeal of Tesla is that it is perceived as a luxury car and upscale brand in general. Not just another boring Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc.

It almost seems as if the big auto manufacturers are waiting for the electric charging network and demand for fully electric vehicles to grow more so that they can easily step in and make big profits

Yep, not being able to work on anything without dealer scan tools is a bummer, one of the biggest reasons i may not purchase one. I have 61,000 other reasons why i won't buy one too.

Toyota will crush EV sales with the Rav4 Prime plug in. GM will be scratching its head and wondering why it didn't do a Volt Crossover.

Originally Posted by dareo

Yep, not being able to work on anything without dealer scan tools is a bummer, one of the biggest reasons i may not purchase one. I have 61,000 other reasons why i won't buy one too.

Toyota will crush EV sales with the Rav4 Prime plug in. GM will be scratching its head and wondering why it didn't do a Volt Crossover.

Even then, I heard that tesla ACTIVELY makes it so that you can't work on your own car. For example, sending over the air updates basically bricking the car or revoking access to certain features. I heard they really dont like supporting salvage cars on their network and basically don't give them any updates that they need.

Check out that guy called rich rebuilds on youtube

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo

It's one reason I like Mercedes. I have their parts lookup software and their repair manual and you can get aftermarket car scanners that will scan MB specific codes. Their EPC/WIS software you can get on eBay for $6.60. EPC also does full vin lookup so if you're shopping for a car, you can see exactly what options the car has and not have to count on a dealer to either lie about a nonexistent option or not know what options the car has. Plus there's several vendors that sell aftermarket parts and like all other car dealers, there are dealers that will sell OEM parts online for 25-30% off list price and that's sometimes more because sometimes local dealers mark up beyond list price.

Oh and to keep the focus on Tesla, here's what one person who's short on Tesla gives for reason why it can't continue and the China EV market is weak.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/teslas-return-profitability-not-sustainable-163431662.html

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Chinas-Electric-Vehicle-Bubble-Has-Popped.html

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how Tesla deals with the shakedown it's going to get in China when they opt not to use domestic battery manufacturers (ex, CATL). The German automakers haven't been so lucky in this regard.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Chinas-Electric-Vehicle-Bubble-Has-Popped.html

Be weary of ZH articles. IJS

You can be wary of any articles. But the basics are pretty much the same. Usually they're not the only outlet saying the same thing. Of course with any kind of speculation, there's always a ton of articles that can go both ways. Usually things like past sales aren't in doubt though.

Yeah, stock at all time high, over $400.
Shanghai Gigafactory gonna start deliveries any day in the largest EV market in the world.
Model Y release this summer.
Berlin Gigafactory opening 2021; Europe loves Tesla.
Setting another delivery record in Q4.
3rd gen Superchargers being introduced.
Just rolled out software upgrade that gets Dual Motor cars to sub 4 second 0 to 60 time.

Meanwhile, Jag, Audi, etc struggle to get 200 mile range. Can't sell cars.
Porsche Taycan receiving mixed reviews, falls far short of promises.
Mercedes misses another release date. Pretty much got nuthin.

That's the numbers...

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Tesla 18 wheeler is a joke and never be profitable in 100 years. Nice dream though.

Tesla cars and SUVs ðŸ‘

Very curious to know if you believe everyones electric trucks are joke and doomed to failure - or just teslas version of the concept?

Electric trucks aka 18 wheelers... No real way they could work as well as a diesel truck... Physics is not in their favor...

Just like trains are actually far, far, far more efficient means of moving freight containers across this country vs 18 wheelers...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Tesla 18 wheeler is a joke and never be profitable in 100 years. Nice dream though.

Tesla cars and SUVs ðŸ‘

Very curious to know if you believe everyones electric trucks are joke and doomed to failure - or just teslas version of the concept?

Electric trucks aka 18 wheelers... No real way they could work as well as a diesel truck... Physics is not in their favor...

Just like trains are actually far, far, far more efficient means of moving freight containers across this country vs 18 wheelers...

Electric trucks would have a very hard time getting anywhere. I wonder how much charge it would take going over the Rockies or other significant mountain passes. Throw in brutally cold weather and it could get interesting.

I have thrown this out before but it's worth repeating. If electric is the next great thing, why haven't local and regional fleets switched over?

Electric trains are great but we don't have the infrastructure in place.

TSLA stock is high and will go higher for many reasons

a) It has turned the corner from a profitability stdpt - with low oil prices its being consumed faster than it can ever be produced
b) The Chinese factory is coming online faster and cars will be made cheaper there for 30M consumers
c) The Euros who were thought to be about introducing a real competition to it fizzled out.
d) Bast...rds like GM president takes his company backwards after spending billions on the Volt saying electrics are not feasible for - range, affordability and charging infra.
e) Elon has kept his mouth shut and doing the right thing by staying out of controversy

If oil went to $80/b - there is no looking back on its rise

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Be weary of ZH articles. IJS

You can be wary of any articles. But the basics are pretty much the same. Usually they're not the only outlet saying the same thing. Of course with any kind of speculation, there's always a ton of articles that can go both ways. Usually things like past sales aren't in doubt though.

Popped yes - for everyone but Telsa - there is pent up demand for the Model 3 much like here was in the United States.

According to bloomberg Teslas aren't following suit, and November registrations are way up.

EV aren't equally desirable.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesl...W8rbb1WXiURtzQeUIW6_RiakUIBoEF8l_6KpR8u-

UD

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Yeah, stock at all time high, over $400.
Shanghai Gigafactory gonna start deliveries any day in the largest EV market in the world.
Model Y release this summer.
Berlin Gigafactory opening 2021; Europe loves Tesla.
Setting another delivery record in Q4.
3rd gen Superchargers being introduced.
Just rolled out software upgrade that gets Dual Motor cars to sub 4 second 0 to 60 time.

Meanwhile, Jag, Audi, etc struggle to get 200 mile range. Can't sell cars.
Porsche Taycan receiving mixed reviews, falls far short of promises.
Mercedes misses another release date. Pretty much got nuthin.

That's the numbers...

The numbers is that Tesla has never posted a profit 2 quarters in a row, and NEVER a year-end profit. Thems more the numbers I care about when evaluating industry staying power. But you go buy you that Tesla and let us know how it do.

Back