Ummmn....fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that don't know, there's a little bit of s fire thing happening in Oz at present...one of them is bigger than Wales...or any number of 4,000 square km countries.

Here's that fire...
[Linked Image]

That fire in the state..
[Linked Image]

And the closeness to the two places I spend most time at...
[Linked Image]

And here it us up close and personal...

The bit near my place hadn't crowned, but the fire itself has been ridiculously unpredictable

[Linked Image]

Quite the scale similar to what hit Ft. McMurray, SK here a few years ago. I never realized at the time how horrific these fires can be until I saw it on the news. Yours is a little close for comfort so I would imagine your community is on evacuation watch. Be safe.

Sadly two NSW Rural firefighters died while on active duty today. Both fathers of young children.

Very sad news.

Besides the heat is there a reason so many fires? In Calif a lot of the fires were PG&E electric power lines. Add that to a an area that is pretty dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Besides the heat is there a reason so many fires? In Calif a lot of the fires were PG&E electric power lines. Add that to a an area that is pretty dry.

This is a yearly occurrence in Australia. This year has been particularly bad due to drier conditions.

Fundamentally it's very hot and it hasn't rained much for a long time. Very hot and very dry, with the smallest thing now able to start a fine.

Today the state of Victoria had it's hottest ever December day on record at 47.4C (117.3F)

Most of the country have total fire bans in place (Vic, NSW, SA, WA and QLD).

In my green belt suburb a few fires have randomly ignited in local green (brown) areas, that the local residents have jumped on and put out before the fire brigade arrived.

Originally Posted by PimTac

This is a yearly occurrence in Australia.

Not like this, this year is different, scary different.

Ya'll had fires when I was there in 2001.

Sydney and lots of other places were heavily smoked.

I was at the Wamumbra Tracking station (check my spelling) around Christmas just after the detainees set fire to it as a protest.

Add to that the 38-40℃ temps. Heat and fire became the theme of that visit.

Be careful Shannow, and take care of your indoor air quality.

Breathing that in is awful for you.

Sending best possible wishes for a speedy end to the conflagration and that everyone will be ok.

UD

Last edited:
In addition to fires started by human activity, nature has been shooting down bolts of lightening over the eons that have started many fires, clearing out dense foliage and growth and keeping the cycle of life going.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Be careful Shannow, and take care of your indoor air quality.

Breathing that in is awful for you.

Sending best possible wishes for a speedy end to the conflagration and that everyone will be ok.

UD

+1

Although you cant do much for outside air quality, you can for the air inside. I would get an air ionizer/ purifier to add a little protection for your health while in house.
Hope to see rain in 'stralia soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back