Saw a brand new Kia Telluride yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a sharp looking vehicle. Not that l would pay MSRP or above for any automobile, it does not surprise me that others are paying a premium for this vehicle.
I would have never purchased a Hyundai or Kia in years past, but if l was in the market for a new automobile, they would get some consideration from me nowadays.

There's 3 or 4 people just in my neighborhood who have Tellurides and they are super sharp looking. HUGE compared to any Hyundai I've ever seen, too.

Originally Posted by dblshock
just another unibody with weak sauce driveline, overland? lmao, fine for mom type duty's ...I can imagine all the warranty issues and countless hours at the shop...looks like an Explorer this is certainly no Toyota 120.

Spoken by someone who doesn't own one. I have a 2017 Santa Fe XL-Limited. In 30,000 miles it has been flawless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by dblshock
just another unibody with weak sauce driveline, overland? lmao, fine for mom type duty's ...I can imagine all the warranty issues and countless hours at the shop...looks like an Explorer this is certainly no Toyota 120.

Spoken by someone who doesn't own one. I have a 2017 Santa Fe XL-Limited. In 30,000 miles it has been flawless.

I drove a Santa Fe rental last year. Too small for our needs but I was very impressed.

It is true that Toyota and Honda have extremely high resale value. Take a look at the used car market. A Toyota or Honda will run between 3-5k more than a comparable Kia, Hyundai, Volkswagen, etc. Even new, Toyota and Honda have higher MSRP than most other brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
To all the Kia/Hyundai fan boys/girls -- lets wait and see what the reliability is 5-7 years down the road.

BITOG Member Wemay has had several with upwards of 200k with only routine maintenance.

The Koreans aren't building junk, they are far better than most domestic cars these days

Originally Posted by daaneel
It is true that Toyota and Honda have extremely high resale value. Take a look at the used car market. A Toyota or Honda will run between 3-5k more than a comparable Kia, Hyundai, Volkswagen, etc. Even new, Toyota and Honda have higher MSRP than most other brands.

MSRP's are meaningless-it's the transaction price that counts.

You can get $13,000.00 to $15,0000 off trucks-and those MSRP's are way higher than Toyo/Honda vehicles for the most part.

Originally Posted by CKN

You can get $13,000.00 to $15,0000 off trucks-and those MSRP's are way higher than Toyo/Honda vehicles for the most part.

Regardless, Toyota/Honda have a higher resale value.

Most transaction prices are based off the MSRP as a starting point. So even if Toyota gives 2k off their new car, Hyundai is probably doing the same

Go take a look on Craigslist. Most Toyota/Honda's are priced higher than other comparable manufacturer cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Most transaction prices are based off the MSRP as a starting point. So even if Toyota gives 2k off their new car, Hyundai is probably doing the same

Go take a look on Craigslist. Most Toyota/Honda's are priced higher than other comparable manufacturer cars.

I'm not doing this-but KBB.com is a much better source. You would have to look at the average (new) transaction prices of competitive models of Toyota/Honda and then compare it to the Hyundai product-then look at trade in values 3 years out (for example) if you really want to make statements about resale value. Everything else is to pontificate.

Craiglist is not a great source. There are many owners whose asking prices are in outer space.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

I'm not doing this-but KBB.com is a much better source. You would have to look at the average (new) transaction prices of competitive models of Toyota/Honda and then compare it to the Hyundai product-then look at trade in values 3 years out (for example) if you really want to make statements about resale value. Everything else is to pontificate.

Craiglist is not a great source. There are many owners whose asking prices are in outer space.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

I mean I'm telling you that Toy/Hon resale value IS higher than those other brands. I experienced this firsthand whether that's dealers or craigslist. Mostly everyone is basing their value off KBB these days.

There's no need to do all that fancy research. Just look at all the asking prices on cars and you'll see for yourself. For example when I compared the sonata to the Camry there's a big price difference. I forget the exact numbers but it's enough for you to be like wow that's a big difference.

I mean if you don't want to acknowledge that then it's fine. I'm not making this up. This is what the market is.

Last edited:

I mean I'm telling you that Toy/Hon resale value IS higher than those other brands. I experienced this firsthand whether that's dealers or craigslist. Mostly everyone is basing their value off KBB these days.

There's no need to do all that fancy research. Just look at all the asking prices on cars and you'll see for yourself. For example when I compared the sonata to the Camry there's a big price difference. I forget the exact numbers but it's enough for you to be like wow that's a big difference.

I mean if you don't want to acknowledge that then it's fine. I'm not making this up. This is what the market is.

I just looked it up on KBB. In my area, the price difference between a loaded 2014 Kia Optima SXL and a loaded V6 Camry XLE is a world shattering $1,592. So while the Camry comes out slightly ahead it's not a "wow that's a big difference!" difference. And if I take out the V6 for the Camry, it's only a $916 difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

I just looked it up on KBB. In my area, the price difference between a loaded 2014 Kia Optima SXL and a loaded V6 Camry XLE is a world shattering $1,592. So while the Camry comes out slightly ahead it's not a "wow that's a big difference!" difference. And if I take out the V6 for the Camry, it's only a $916 difference.

Yep-I already knew that Hyundai lags behind-but not by much. Then if you consider the Kia's transaction price much less than the Camry-there goes the resale argument out the window.

The resale value of Korean products, the cash for clunkers (doing away with affordable beaters), the Orange (Fram) can of death, Mobil One being formulated different for Walmart, etc., all perpetuated on the Internet with either baseless grounds, or facts that happened so long ago....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

I'm not going to fact check your numbers but you literally pointed out a $1000 price difference at minimum and said "see, they cost the same!"

To someone used car shopping, $1000 to $2000 is a big difference.

Originally Posted by CKN

Originally Posted by CKN

Originally Posted by CKN

I only got $6000 off of my Sonata. The Toyota dealer built a new dealership on the other side of the freeway, and my wife liked to take the car in for service and walk home. I was worried, but 70000 miles later, it has never been to the shop for anything but oil changes. If I have to take a 1000 hit on the backend- oh well. By the way, the Sonata is bigger than the Camry. I can shut the door and not have to get halfway out of it to reach the door handle because my head would hit the ceiling!

Originally Posted by meadows
I only got $6000 off of my Sonata. The Toyota dealer built a new dealership on the other side of the freeway, and my wife liked to take the car in for service and walk home. I was worried, but 70000 miles later, it has never been to the shop for anything but oil changes. If I have to take a 1000 hit on the backend- oh well. By the way, the Sonata is bigger than the Camry. I can shut the door and not have to get halfway out of it to reach the door handle because my head would hit the ceiling!

I'm not saying Hyundais/Kias are bad cars. They're great cars. All I'm saying is that generally Toyota and Hondas have a higher resale value because people are willing to pay more of a premium for that infamous "reliability" everyone knows them for. Regardless of whether it's true or not, that IS what the market is..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
First time I've seen one up close. It's a sharp looking rig. Interior was very nice.

The owner has had it for a few months now but she loves it. Super comfortable.

I can see why it won SUV of the year.

I live really close to where they're made in Georgia !!

See em all the time !!!!

Good looking ride for sure !

I'm not going to fact check your numbers but you literally pointed out a $1000 price difference at minimum and said "see, they cost the same!"

To someone used car shopping, $1000 to $2000 is a big difference.

I didn't say they cost the same. I very clearly stated the Camry has a slightly higher value. What I said was the difference wasn't as great as everyone thinks it is. Y'all act like they're worth $5,000 over other vehicles, and when proven wrong you move the goal posts I.E. trying to use the asking price (which only a fool pays). You even proved as much in your post here:

And here, although you contradict yourself by saying people use KBB, like I did showing you the not so great difference between a Kia and a Toyota, and then go onto say just look at the asking prices...

Last used car I bought, $1,000-$2,000, which was only a $35 a month difference, meant getting a few very nice to have options or not. If that's a make it or break it thing for someone financially, they should be looking at a lower price range to begin with. Otherwise, it falls back into the "not that big of a deal" category.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back