Best way to remove oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to remove an oil filter mounted horizontally without being messy?

I just put towels /rags all around the filter and......
smile.gif

I cut the front(where the front label would be off a quart oil bottle) and slip it underneath the filter to be removed, and use it as a catch tray.

Originally Posted by KevGuy
Just take it off and let the oil spill all over the place and make sure to get some on the ground so as you contaminate the environment.

Been doing it this way for years. Nuthin too it.

Or leave the filter be. It didn't do nuthin to you.

Last edited:
Depends on where the engineers placed the filter. You should be fine as long as you put an oil catch pan below the filter before removing in.

If you have the space, poke a hole in the bottom with a sharp tool, screwdriver, etc, and catch the drainage. Won't be quite as messy afterwards.

Buy a vehicle that had intelligent engineers make sound and informed decisions about oil filter placement. Folks that thought about the real world use of the vehicle and designed with that in mind.

smile.gif

Note: my Tacoma is this way, on top with an engineered catch bowl and drain nipple.

My mustang is not, and I fully implement the "hope the drain pan catches everything and spend 20 minutes trying to wipe up the excess on the undercarriage" method.

If it's easy to get to, the plastic bag method works well. 3.5 Ecoboost F150s aren't so accommodating so I loosen the filter enough to have it barely drain. After 5 minutes I'm good to go. Glad Ford put a hole right where the oil goes out - helps some.
On the subject of putting oil back into the ground (can't get any greener than that) there's always this.
[Linked Image]

I cover mine with a gallon hefty freezer bag. Unscrew and it all drops into the bag.

Lift the oil drain pan up close to the filter to catch the first of it. Then when its a steady stream lower the oil drain pan.

Funny how sometimes the oil does not flow where you think. It follows to some engine or frame part and is 6" from where you expected.

Helps to change on a dirt drive. I don't care if a little oil drips here and there. But try and not make a mess.

Originally Posted by double vanos
If it's easy to get to, the plastic bag method works well. 3.5 Ecoboost F150s aren't so accommodating so I loosen the filter enough to have it barely drain. After 5 minutes I'm good to go. Glad Ford put a hole right where the oil goes out - helps some.
On the subject of putting oil back into the ground (can't get any greener than that) there's always this.
[Linked Image]

If the author were the only person doing this no big deal. But if all the used oil was poured in little pits the ground would be polluted.

They use to pour oil on dirt roads to keep down the dust. But it was probably SA rated back then. Less polluting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back