2-stroke oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the road racing one (800 2T - the spec sheet link that I posted) - mostly due to a recommendation from go-karting people in Europe who rev their motors to 19K RPM.

Anyway - The mufflers stay clean - no residue or discoloration.

Last edited:
Motul 800 is a very robust oil. However, many users find that the oil does not burn off completely at richer ratios. Leading to black goo leaking from every muffler joint and plenty of smoke. So they go to 60 to 1 somehow believing that there is excess oil due to the oil on the muffler, and the end result is dry crank bearings along with early failure.

As a general rule, Motul 800 will leave an oily residue on dirt bike mufflers. It may not have time to condense and leave a residue on a hard working chainsaw muffler. Or it might....

I stay away from Motul 800, not because it's a bad oil, but because of the residue and smoke issues. Any EG-D oil won't do this. For all around use, air cooled or water cooled, an EG-D oil mixed at 32 to 1 will provide very good protection and will be free of excess smoke and deposits.

Put another way, it's far more pleasant to use more oil if it's an EG-D oil.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3940681/Flash_point_of_2_cycle_oils?

Last edited:
I am confused - I run it at 40:1 and have NO RESIDUE AT ALL of any kind....and smoke? WHAT SMOKE???? - I don't know where you are getting this false information. I have used 3 jugs of it - The 800 2T It is cleaner than any 2-stroke oil I have ever used (including all the popular ISO-L-EGD) oils like the great old Mobil MXT2.....

Unless you run a lot, and I mean A LOT of 2-cycle fuel, you might be better off just buying something pre-mixed and Ethanol free. I stopped mixing my own after the Lawn-Boy mower was retired, and after the Ethanol started taking out the smaller machines. Both the machines and I are happy for the change. Enough said?

Ethanol free in 2-strokes is pretty much a given - unless you run you supply dry that day. As far as 32:1 (even 40:1 (like me) is for dinosaurs).
50:1 has for the last 20 or so years proven (with the top oils) to provide MORE power, MORE RPM, and LESS heat, but the carburetor has to be (properly) tuned for what you use.
Don't tune your reed valve carb for 32:1 with some ISO-L-EGD outboard oil (made for 2-stroke catalytic converters) and then say it smokes and leaves residue when you run a racing oil meant to protect your engine BEST at 50:1.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
I am confused - I run it at 40:1 and have NO RESIDUE AT ALL of any kind....and smoke? WHAT SMOKE???? - I don't know where you are getting this false information. I have used 3 jugs of it - The 800 2T It is cleaner than any 2-stroke oil I have ever used (including all the popular ISO-L-EGD) oils like the great old Mobil MXT2.....

And yet, there is this:

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190120/5f8d79aa0596195039f3399ba15160ed.jpg

Last edited:
^ need to learn to adjust your carburetor properly at the recommended 50:1 ratio - operator error.

^ need to learn to adjust your carburetor properly at the recommended 50:1 ratio - operator error.

Well of course, that's not me. But you bring up the correct point. Jetting is key in keeping oil and smoke down to a minimum. None of my stuff looks like that.

The 800 2T It is cleaner than any 2-stroke oil I have ever used (including all the popular ISO-L-EGD) oils like the great old Mobil MXT2.....

I don't think the M1 MX2t was an actual EG-D rated oil, in fact I think it met the FC rating. Could be wrong, but it's been years since I've seen a bottle. That oil was great for some applications. Play bikes, for example. And it was thin enough to use in an oil injection system. But not as robust as Motul 800.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

Well of course, that's not me. But you bring up the correct point. Jetting is key in keeping oil and smoke down to a minimum. None of my stuff looks like that.

I can feel you both...
grin2.gif

[Linked Image]

Very interesting on the Stihl oil.

I was told I'd extend my warranty if I ran their synthetic oil in my leaf blower and weed whacker. I've just been running it in my Husqvarna chainsaw and Lawn Boy mower too. Comes in a 6 pack is is relatively cheap.

I was using Pennzoil Outdoor formula at 32:1 until I ran out. I've been using Amsoil Saber at either 40:1 or 50:1 since. At that ratio it gets a little smoky, especially at startup. I have an email directly from Amsoil stating that they don't recommend going thinner than 50:1 in vintage Lawn Boys.

L8R,
Matt

Do you guys have a thought on adding MMO to the mix?
I run 50:1 Stihl mix in all my lawn stuff. Mostly Stihl and have some Craftsman. And they seems to be happy with it. But after reading about MMO, it's cleaning and lubricating properties I was thinking about adding 1oz of MMO to the mix. Do you guys think it's waste of money? Any benefit to it?

Their are plenty of good products out on the market that provide "cleaning and lubricating properties". I wouldn't bother adding any to a canned-fuel that already has lubricating properties in it.
But, if ya want to, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted by DaHen
Their are plenty of good products out on the market that provide "cleaning and lubricating properties". I wouldn't bother adding any to a canned-fuel that already has lubricating properties in it.

Why would one want to dilute its mix ratio with anything (MMO)....its stupid approach

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by DaHen

Why would one want to dilute its mix ratio with anything (MMO)....its stupid approach

Technically not diluting it, but adding more oil to. So instead of 1:50 it's maybe 1:40 or so.

A line of oil dripping from the exhaust pipe is a good thing. It has everything to do with the quality and fuel/oil ratio of the oil and not the jetting.

In my Husky chainsaws, I use their oil @ 40:1, then refill the 100 & 200 ml bottles with Shell Ultra synthetic 2-stroke.

I believe the PWC & snowmobile oils are the same product, except for the picture on the label.

stihl synth is not cheap but very pricey. it was intended for use in the 4 mix engines and it excels at that. using it in other equiptment is a waist of money and their warranty is worthless. just as most stihl products are.

I use Stihl brand 99% of the time, no real reason other than I get to chat with the guy at the local Stihl shop. Bought some Walmart Tune it brand a few months back, it was on clearance for a buck. No directions on mix ratio on the bottle so went by colour, chain saw smoked like a sumbeech. Maybe its 50:1 maybe it 200:1, maybe its 1:1, who knows. Been using it up in the 4 stroke snowblower, seems to run just fine

This time a year you can get good deals on clearance snowmobile oil that meets JASO FD and ISO EGD. I just grabbed a big jug of shell advance ultra for half price. Often the snowmobile formulations are the same or have a bit of solvent to help it flow at cold temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back