only 18.0 liters
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

the caterpillar website has tons of info

look up a 3512 industrial engine.

I dunno how it works for trucks, but I had an interesting time owning Torana's (1.1 tonne 4/5 seat family cars).

I've owned a 1.9l 4 cyl, a 3.3l 6, a 253 V-8, and a 308 V-8.

All got within 1MPG on the highway.

Around town was different.

What size truck will you be getting? You need to size the engine to match the load otherwise you will have problems.

I myself would not put a 3408 in a truck. If you want Cat check with your local dealer and visit with their truck engine manager (not service manager).

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
What size truck will you be getting? You need to size the engine to match the load otherwise you will have problems.

I myself would not put a 3408 in a truck. If you want Cat check with your local dealer and visit with their truck engine manager (not service manager).

Just your run of the mill class 8 grossing 80K. It will have to be an older used truck. I'm hoping I can find a needlenose Pete or a 359 Pete.

Right now Im not concerned if it's a Cat, Cummins or 4-stroke detroit. I'm more concerned with getting my business off the ground and on the road. I need a truck thats in decient mechanical shape regardless of the engine type.

I take it you want a Peterbilt, or are you flexible?

Have you looked at Truckpaper (www.truckpaper.com) yet?

What are your transmission preferences? 10, 13, 15, 18. Brand preference? Automatic?

Are you the kind that'll be fine with 360, or do you need 475 horsepower to be happy?

How fast do you run, or what speed do you cruise at?

Sleeper preferences? Need a 70" raised roof condo or a 40" with a bed, underbed storage, and TV?

P.S. - The engine you keep coming across is the 3406.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
I take it you want a Peterbilt, or are you flexible?

Have you looked at Truckpaper (www.truckpaper.com) yet?

What are your transmission preferences? 10, 13, 15, 18. Brand preference? Automatic?

Are you the kind that'll be fine with 360, or do you need 475 horsepower to be happy?

How fast do you run, or what speed do you cruise at?

Sleeper preferences? Need a 70" raised roof condo or a 40" with a bed, underbed storage, and TV?

P.S. - The engine you keep coming across is the 3406.

No! The engine I keep finding is a V8 Cat! They say "3408" right on the valve covers, usually have 450hp in little letters under the "3408". 1099 cu in!
worshippy.gif

I can tell the difference between a V8 and an inline-6
tongue.gif

Ya im very familiar with truckpaper, ebay etc.

I don't really have a trans preferance. I'm most familiar with 10 speeds and 13's. Most of the trucks I'm lookin at have twin sticks. mostly 5+4's. A few 4+4's and I saw a 6+4
shocked.gif

I would like to have atleast 400hp. Unfortunatly 400+hp is hard to keep cool in a needlenose truck. If I find a wide nose the rads are much larger.

I love the looks, styling and am most comfortable in Petes. They just fit me. I'd drive a KW as they feel good to but just don't look as good
pat.gif

Freightliners are trash. I've driven enough to know that I despise them.

Most of my driving will be in Ca with a 55mph limit.....But we all run 65 once out of the cities. I plan on local stuff.

When I worked as a company driver I had a 540 mile loop I did from Hesperia, ca to Vegas, to Laughlin and back to Hesperia everyday.

I'd prefer to stay within 250 miles of home. With the curant construction going on out here that should be obtainable. Don't need a sleeper but I would like to have a small one just incase I had to spend the night somewhere due to weather or took a load farther away.

Ok, you're looking at "heavy hauler" trucks...no need for these beasts if you're going to be doing OTR truckin'.

How much are you looking to spend? As you know by now, Pete's are just a bit expensive...

IMHO, 400hp is easy to keep cool given the truck was designed properly, the radiator and coolant system of of proper size and capacity, and proper maintenance has been practiced by the owner.

You care much for the Volvo's? Have you driven one of the new VN series trucks?

I'm hopin for an inexpensive truck! I'm finding the old Petes for less than 10K. Right now I'm working at a radiator shop and I don't plan on just buying something and immediatly putting it to work. I will have the time and extra$$ I need to fix the small things and to add A/C if it does not have it.

Once I'm satisfied with the mechanical condition of the truck I'll start to serously consider putting it to work.

I know of a guy that has a set of flatbeds and I can get both plus the dolly for $1000. They are in really good shape, were used to haul chickens and have never been loaded to their max.

No Volvo's! They may be comfy but I see too many problems with them plus they are just plain ugly!

Well, it looks like you want a fixer-upper...if so, get the Pete and I wish you the best of luck in getting it in the condition you need for OTR work.

I've driven just about every brand truck and I like Pete's the best. Westernstar next then Kenw's.
The 3408 is 1000+ cubes and **** expensive if you have to get any inj. pump work done. Just a reman inj. pump alone would set you back about the same price as a old used Pete with a 3406B block.
For fun call a local CAT dealer and ask the price on a fuel inj. pump for the 08 model. I bet you'll look at $9500 for reman and $11,500 for new pump.

Usually 3408's were in severe duty, oil rig/pipeline or National defence. The old white blocks were 325hp~375hp installed in trucks. The yellow blocks were up to 450hp to compete with the old KTA block Cummins which were up to 525hp placed in Gensets/Loaders/OTR trucks "army"/Bush truck. If you found one that has a high idle of 2350 rpms then that was probably original "bush spec" for logging trucks.

I doubt you'll find a truck newer than 1987 with a 3408. From what I remember they pretty well canned that engine around the time Detroit Diesel released the Series 60.

I run 3406's mainly but have an affection for the 14L DDEC's
If you can find a 12liter DDEC 450, 1550 ft.lb engine from about 1997, I've read and listened to owners that one engine at that time was touted as one of the best mileage engines on the market.
Had a good fuel EC program and "best" cams to produce great mileage.

I used to get great mileage out of an old Ford tri-axle dumptruck hauling a tridem pup with a 425-B block and get regular 5.5 mpg. The only way I could get it was to continuous maintain 2 lbs than max boost. The engine would full boost at 19lbs and I never let it run more than 17 lbs. If it took being a lower gear on a hill to maintain less boost then no problem. That truck gvw was regular 137,000 #'s.

I drive less than full boost nearly all the time and reveal good mileage.

[ May 02, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Rev440 ]

I've driven just about every kind of truck made, and my favorite is the 379 Peterbilt extended hood. The problem is that they are around 50G for a good used one. Although Freightliner has its problems, the problems are mostly minor nickle and dime crap that's more of a nuisance than anything else. I remember having to slam the door shut on every Freightliner I have ever driven and wind noise around the gaskets. But in return you can buy a Freightliner about half the price for a good used one because there are so many on the road. The driveline is the same on just about all trucks, but from my experience the best components are Eaton rears and transmissions. The Series 60 Detroit gets very good fuel mileage and most Freightliners have this engine. I kinda like the "Classic" Freightliner, and they are reasonably priced. I have seen cracked Frames on Volvos so I would stay away from those.

Oh by the way if you are looking at Kenworth STAY AWAY from the T-2000. I am driving a 1999 model now and it has more problems than the worst Freightliner I have ever driven, and in addition parts are more expensive and most of the time have to be ordered. In addition the Freightliner had a smoother ride. Another good thing I can say about Freightliner is the dealer here in Richmond has most of the parts in stock, and nationwide there are a lot of Freightliner dealers. I changed my opinion of Freightliner after driving that pile of crap Kenworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back