Need travel router recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a travel router for a school project in my programming class but I need one that is able to work with captive portal / splash screen logins because my school's wifi has one of those.

I found the TPLink N300 on Amazon for $24 but I'm seeing some people saying it DOES work with a splash screen and others saying it won't work unless you clone the MAC.

Can someone please link me a few ones that are confirmed to work with captive portal logins? Thanks

I have one of these and it works perfect with captive portals at hotels and such. I am not sure how the n300 version works, but with this one, the network with a captive portal only sees the one address, then the tp link creates its own network for me to use. I only have to authenticate on one device and then all of my devices connected to the travel router have internet without entering portal information again. I love it. That way I don't have to connect my phone, work laptop, PS4, or gaming PC to a new WIFI every time I travel to a new hotel.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH

Also when yours comes in make sure you don't get an original before revision. There is no new firmware for the original however my version 2 works fine and has firmware updates.

Last edited:
I would get the GL-Inet because it has open firmware and much larger memories than the TP-Links, making programming projects on the router itself practical.

When you log into a captive portal the house system remembers the MAC, which in this case would be the MAC of the router.

In general you can simply log in using some device on the user side of the router which has a web browser. Remember the house sees the router's MAC, so then everyone going through the router has use of the Internet.

Another approach is to log in with some device directly, then clone that device's MAC into the router. Every router should support MAC cloning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back