Good ways to sell or trade a gun ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nice S&W 686-3 stainless revolver in .357. I never use it, and have plenty of other guns, but I rarely buy or sell firearms. I also have a collectors licence in my state that was required if you buy / sell more than X in a year, but the details are sketchy. Anyhow, I have zero interest in this gun and and would be interested in selling it, or trading for a decent AR-15 type in 5.56. I have looked at Gunbroker but the laws are a bit strange, and the one thing I do not want is some issue with a transfer. Any suggestions ?

I would think the easiest would be to trade it in to a gun shop/FFL for the gun you want.

Depends on if you want to sell it local or ship it. local would probably be the easiest depending on you local laws. if you want nice and easy trade it to a gun shop, but you won't get top dollar. you might see if there are any local gun forums that you can list it. as usual follow all the needed laws.

Selling online is also a good way to go. it opens your gun to a bigger audience, but shipping and other thing make it more work than local. also lots of online scams.

AR15.com
I also sell on Facebook. DM that stuff though, or Zuck will get you.
Armslist if you can do it F2F, but wayyyyy too many scammers on Armslist otherwise.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Via gun forum and consummate the sale through a FFL. The last part is not up for debate. EVER.

Nonsense!

If you are worried about selling a firearm to someone who is not allowed, simply state in your listing that you require the buyer to have a conceal carry permit. It limits your market but there are PLENTY of CCW holders these days.

Consummate the sale through a FFL. The last part is not up for debate. EVER.

Just curious, is this your policy both buying and selling? I prefer .gov not having record of every firearm I might own. Am I a criminal? No, I just don't think it's their business to know. I use a firearm bill of sale that included a DL number.

OP every state has different laws about this and it's real easy to find out what's required. Do what you're comfortable with. Selling or trading to an LGS will get you 50% of the market value, maybe. Nice pistol, I'd find the S&W forum and sell it in their classifieds. It ships to an FFL so you're covered.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
Via gun forum and consummate the sale through a FFL. The last part is not up for debate. EVER.

Nonsense!

If you are worried about selling a firearm to someone who is not allowed, simply state in your listing that you require the buyer to have a conceal carry permit. It limits your market but there are PLENTY of CCW holders these days.

Why? I don't know guns but why is that your concern? Kind of like selling a car and requiring the buyer to have a driver's license. Not really the sellers concern.

I just went through this. I put mine up for sale at my LGS. I Put it on consignment and sold it for more then I paid for it.
Ended up buying two other guns that I wanted. I couldn't believe how simple it all was though it took a month for the whole thing to happen.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Nonsense!

Why? I don't know guns but why is that your concern? Kind of like selling a car and requiring the buyer to have a driver's license. Not really the sellers concern.

Because it means that at some point the person you are going to meet with a firearm and money involved, passed a criminal background check. Not a bad thing, yeah?

Originally Posted by atikovi
OK but like any document, I assume that can be forged.

It's clear that you don't know guns, and are asking a lot of questions, as well as making assumptions that aren't true.

So, why do you feel it necessary to caution other folks, and offer opinions, on a subject with which you're not familiar?

OP - Selling to a prohibited person is/can be a crime. That's the risk.

But selling on Gunbroker works, because you ship to an FFL. That FFL will ensure that the buyer meets all requirements for their locality. No prohibited person will get through the FFL.

Selling to a local person with a CC permit ensures that your buyer is not a prohibited person.

Placing the gun on consignment at a local shop, or selling outright to a local shop, also prevents the sale to a prohibited person.

All the options suggested are good, and keep you clear of any potential issues. Pick the one with which you're comfortable.

Edit: wish you were closer, I would love a 686...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Nonsense!

#1 I don't want to be in the business of validating a persons residence(In/Out of State), a CC permit or any other form of identification.
#2 Selling through a FFL shifts the burden to the FFL. I'm not saying have a FFL sell the weapon for you, I'm just saying use a FFL as an intermediary always.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Consummate the sale through a FFL. The last part is not up for debate. EVER.

Just curious, is this your policy both buying and selling? I prefer .gov not having record of every firearm I might own. Am I a criminal? No, I just don't think it's their business to know. I use a firearm bill of sale that included a DL number.

OP every state has different laws about this and it's real easy to find out what's required. Do what you're comfortable with. Selling or trading to an LGS will get you 50% of the market value, maybe. Nice pistol, I'd find the S&W forum and sell it in their classifieds. It ships to an FFL so you're covered.

Both. As for the govt record component, that's an all or none proposition. 1 record is no different than 10 records because you're either an owner or your not.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but i don't sell guns. I just keep them around even if i don't use them. Maybe someday there will be a need, and they won't go down in value.

I'm going to be lazy and not look this up, but I'm guessing the MD doesn't allow private transfers. In that case an FFL must be involved in the transfer. The good side of this is that you have a record of selling the gun should it be used illegally.

Here in KY private sales are legal. I have disposed of guns in all of the following ways:

Listed on a gun forum, sold locally.
Listed on a gun forum, shipped to FFL
Listed on Armslist, sold locally
Listed on Gunbroker, shipped to FFL
Traded at gun shop FFL
Private sale/trade at a gun show

If your 686 is an earlier model without the internal lock then some S&W collectors would be interested. Gunbroker or a S&W specific forum would probably get you the best price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back