Toyota HOAT Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for a coolant for my 11' camry, i dont live in USA, so localy i cant find any zerex asian. i Found a store that got OEM Toyota SLLC, but they want equivalent of 66.00$ US for a 50/50 Gallon.

Searching Around i found this chart.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Antifreeze_Coolant_Timeline.pdf

Then i went to my local store for some MERCON V OIL, and i saw Prestone Asian for 10.00$ US 50/50, and its actually POAT, like the chart.

So i think i could use This one:
http://prestone.com/products?detail=AF6200

Any suggestions? is it safe to use prestone?

I see that you are in the DR............don't know if you have access to these:

Pentofrost A1 (Red), Pentofrost A4 (Pink), Beck/Arnley Premium Extended Life Pink, Beck/Arnley Premium OE Red Concentrate,
Reochem OEM Premium Extended Life Red, and Reochem OEM Premium Extended Life Pink.

All meet Toyota spec's for your Camry.
Good Luck.

Thank you Incognito_2u, but i could not find any of those aftermarket, i could also bouth a concentrate OEM through amazon and then import it, but the final cost will be like 50 per gallon due the weight of the coolant.

i can find G-05 cheap, but it isnt toyota specs, so for now my only option is "Prestone Asian"

Yes, I saw your link to the Prestone you are referencing. I am not familiar with that particular Coolant so therefore I defer to those more knowledgeable on that Brand. All the best!

be careful mixing two different types of coolant. If changing brands I would do a full flush. Flush with water first them flush again with new anti-freeze.

If you mix two different types, they can react with each other and cause issues.

The Prestone Asian is just fine for your car. It is equivalent to the older (1994-2004) Toyota "Red" antifreeze (aka, Zerex Red, Pentofrost A1, Toyota LLC).

Your car would have come with the "newer" SLLC called "Pink." They are compatible so you don't need to go crazy with the flush as if you had wrong fluid in there and wanted it all out. The Red is recommended to be changed more often (50k miles ?) than the pink SLLC. For the price difference, I'd run the red (I do).

If you do a thorough flush with water, you probably won't be able to drain all the water out. Then you won't be able to achieve proper concentration by refilling with pre-diluted SLLC-equivalent p-HOAT of any brand. I'd suggest to simply drain out all the old stuff as best you can, and refill with the new coolant.

Originally Posted by CR94
If you do a thorough flush with water, you probably won't be able to drain all the water out. Then you won't be able to achieve proper concentration by refilling with pre-diluted SLLC-equivalent p-HOAT of any brand. I'd suggest to simply drain out all the old stuff as best you can, and refill with the new coolant.

I think i can find Repsol SI-OAT Coolant around 20$, but it uses silicates, something that asian manufacturers hates, the use fosfate instead, but ill keep it mind as 2nd option.

Thank you Kamele0n

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oro_O
The Prestone Asian is just fine for your car. It is equivalent to the older (1994-2004) Toyota "Red" antifreeze (aka, Zerex Red, Pentofrost A1, Toyota LLC).

Your car would have come with the "newer" SLLC called "Pink." They are compatible so you don't need to go crazy with the flush as if you had wrong fluid in there and wanted it all out. The Red is recommended to be changed more often (50k miles ?) than the pink SLLC. For the price difference, I'd run the red (I do).

i dont drive that much, maybe 2k-3k miles per year, so i think even if this coolant needs to be changed in less time/miles, it still worth the price, and the good thing is that it could be mixed with SLLC "pink" Thank you Oro!

Originally Posted by CR94

Nice tip, Thank you CR,

Kamele0N said:
Just use that new pink G13 coolant......it is mixable with any other coolant!

Agreed. I use G13 in my VW's and my daily Hyundai Beta II. When I got the Hyundai, I changed all fluids and did a complete water flush and then replaced the coolant with a 50/50 of VW G13. Inexpensive for a gallon of concentrate from VW. I pay $27CDN for a jug.

My recommendation is to call up Plaza Volkswagen in Santo Domingo and get a price.

IMO, that Prestone Asian or even regular Prestone will be fine. 2-EHA isn't my first choice for an Asian coolant but Prestone Asian and their newest Cor-Guard formula does meet Toyota's definition of a "coolant with low levels of acid and hybrid technology with no silicates, amines or borates".

Do a drain and fill on it. Make sure you use product as close as possible to the Toyota Pink. The first change if I remember correctly is 5 years 100000 miles. The second is 50000. My 2014 and 2008 are due for drain and fills and I will use Zerex Asian pink.

Originally Posted by TheBig2003
Kamele0N said:
Just use that new pink G13 coolant......it is mixable with any other coolant!

Agreed. I use G13 in my VW's and my daily Hyundai Beta II. When I got the Hyundai, I changed all fluids and did a complete water flush and then replaced the coolant with a 50/50 of VW G13. Inexpensive for a gallon of concentrate from VW. I pay $27CDN for a jug.

My recommendation is to call up Plaza Volkswagen in Santo Domingo and get a price.

The prices overthere are as high as the toyota oem coolant, thanks for the recommendation anyways Big2003, wonder if i could use G12++ for a G13 application

Originally Posted by ethnix
Recochem 86-174POEM Pink is what I would use.
http://www.recochem.com/us/media/uploads/downloads/Product_Information_Sheet_OEM_Pink_1216_w.pdf

Cheapest I could find is $28 shipped from Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Coolant-Antifreeze-Recochem-86-174POEM/293056966629

Not sure what's the difference between their red and pink other than color. They both meet ASTM D3306 and JIS K2234 specs.

http://www.recochem.com/us/products.../oem_extended_life_red_antifreezecoolant
http://www.recochem.com/us/products...oem_extended_life_pink_antifreezecoolant

i couln't find this one in here in DR, thanks anyways Ethnix,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back