"PURGING" oil filter with compressed air before removing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked at a Harley Davidson shop 8 years ago, I was taught to poke a hole in the edge of the oil filter and blow air through it.

When I did this, oil would come out of the oil bag and the filter was practically mess free when removing

I now own 2 vehicles with sideways filters, I'm getting ready to change one of them and I was wondering if I could do this same thing? I don't know how they would differ. I guess I just want everyone opinion.

I still change my 2 Harley's oil this way.

Originally Posted by leroyd92
When I worked at a Harley Davidson shop 8 years ago, I was taught to poke a hole in the edge of the oil filter and blow air through it.

When I did this, oil would come out of the oil bag and the filter was practically mess free when removing

I now own 2 vehicles with sideways filters, I'm getting ready to change one of them and I was wondering if I could do this same thing? I don't know how they would differ. I guess I just want everyone opinion.

Spin on filters are designed to be turned counter clockwise for removal. No compressed air required. You are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Yep.

And when you remove the filter, no oil drains out and makes a mess

Originally Posted by ToadU

Spin on filters are designed to be turned counter clockwise for removal. No compressed air required. You are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Is that what " Lefty losey righty tighty " means?

I think I'd pass. Seems like there would be a chance of forcing oil from the 'dirty' side of the filter into places it really shouldn't be.

Yep.

And when you remove the filter, no oil drains out and makes a mess

Since we are on the same topic... On filters that are mounted horizontally, what is the best way to remove the filter without have oil all over the place? I have tried cracking it open first then drain out the oil after finishing, removing the oil filter last, it still spills out oil.

Okay, so you poke a hole in the filter and blow air through it.. The air is going to travel the path of least resistance, which is the most direct route through the filter medium and out the filter outlet. It's not going to magically evacuate all the oil; I suspect you will still have a mess on your hands. Depending on the nozzle placement and air pressure, you run the risk of tearing/damaging the filter element, which while unlikely, might dislodge pieces of it.

I agree with the solution to a problem that doesn't exist statement. I've changed a LOT of oil filters, and I've never created such a huge mess as to ever consider doing something like this. A couple paper towels to wipe some drips off is much easier!

Well, on a car with the filter mounted threaded end down it would force the oil out, but I'm going to stand by not wanting to force oil in a direction it might not be meant to go, and possibly dirty oil at that.

Uhhhh that's going to be a solid nope from me, maybe this was necessary on a Harley Davidson to avoid spilling oil on something (a fairing?) but not on most passenger vehicles. It's not mandated in the service manual for I imagine virtually every car either, even the ones with oil filters in the dumbest positions that drip oil right on top of an axle or something.

First off if it's a car that has the filter with openings up on the bottom of the engine, no mess is going to occur if you let it drain as soon as it goes loose. That type only creates a mess when idiots loosen it, then as its dripping down they start spinning it furiously as it's pouring on to their hand rather than just waiting. If it's a car where the oil filter is on top of the engine mounted openings down like on Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, GM and virtually every other car, those drain back to sump when you loosen them anyway.

That leaves the cars with oil filters sideways on the block like some Nissans and Hondas. Or oil filters at 45 degree angles like on some Fords. In those cases I'd rather just use a form a funnel or piece of aluminum foil to control the path of the drain or protect anything under a stream of oil, it takes all but 4 seconds to bend aluminum foil or form a funnel in place. They're both re-usable too.

Getting a drill out, drilling, making sure you don't drill too far, making sure shavings or swarf don't get on anything or transfer on to your hands and back into the engine through the new oil, all to avoid dripping oil from a filter? That's way more agita and effort.

Harley: Because it's somehow better to blow metal shavings from the drilled hole as well as all the wear particles that were in the filter ***back into the engine*** than risk getting oil on DA KROME!!!!!!

Yeah, no. This is just a bad idea for any vehicle. If you are worried about oil leaking out and have used the tips above, consider making a little 'boat' out of aluminum foil to catch any leakage instead.

Last edited:
I don't understand where the ( drilling ) a hole came from.

You take a dead screwdriver, a scribe, anything sharp and you " poke " a little hole in the filter.

I'm starting to think the reason why this shop did this was to keep oil from running down the motor, frame, and keeping things clean. I know Twincam bikes and even Evo engines have a motor mount directly under the oil filter, not to mention the voltage regulator.

Well, I guess this is a no from you guys. Doesn't surprise me. I did want to share this encase it helped someone.

Drill, punch, poke - doesn't matter. Shrapnel or particulates from the drilled/torn area will likely enter the filter barring some really ridiculous precautions; even if none does (somehow) then you're blowing everything that was in the filter - oil, debris caught in the filter, particulates, whatever, *back into the engine*. This is anything but a good idea.

And yes, cosmetics is probably why that shop had this protocol. Never mind the longevity of the customer's motor, "We cain't get oil on da CHROOOOOOOOOOME" or whatever is below it.

I commend this article to your attention. Please note the use of aluminum foil to protect items from fluid drips while being serviced; something similar can be done with the oil filter. It's quick, it's easy, it doesn't push all the crap back into the engine.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/actron-brake-bleeding-system/

Last edited:
I maintain my daughter's Acura CSX which has filter mounted horizontally and simply unscrew it to the point oil starts showing and put a Ziploc bag under it to catch oil while unscrewing filter a bit more. On some cars you can put the bag over filter and position bag so that all oil gets caught.
When it stops pouring out I put the bag aside and catch little more oil with a rug when removing the filter.

If the filter is equipped with a working ADBV there should be no contamination of dirty oil / debris into the engine, as any oil that gets to the engine has to have passed through the filter first. This is assuming the filter media is intact. Of course, how the filter media and ADBV respond to pressurized air in the can is anybody's guess!

Quickly remove filter. Replace w new filter. Be fast. Use a drip cloth or something user the area. Wipe after. Use carb or brake clean after to remove residual. Evaps virtually instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back