Google Chrome compromised passwd message

Status
Not open for further replies.
After logging into rockauto a tab popped up on my google chrome browser telling me passwords may be compromised and I should perform a password checkup through my google account. I did that and it said change 38 passwords immediately!!!. Including RA, AZ, twitter, zillow, photobucket, speedtest, the list goes on and on.

Reading about it, google is scanning my passwords even if I don't have some password checkup extension they offer https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/9231944

Anyone else get this message?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I did that and it said change 38 passwords immediately!!!.

Sounds sketchy.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
I personally avoid any software or program made or manufactured by Google. Privacy and confidentiality concerns.

Yep, I went with Brave, which is based on Chromium, and it has worked great with me. I use Lastpass as the password manager.

The thing is, I don't even have that extension. Google stated they check anyways in that document I attached

Sounds like you may have picked up some malware or a virus. If you don't have virus scanner, download Avast (free) and do a deep scan of all your drives or anywhere you have data stored. Being directed to change passwords like that sounds suspicious. You don't want a keylogger program residing on your computer.

Also download Malwarebytes and run a full scan in Safe Mode.

I am able to replicate the message. I log into RA and...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How do I turn it off?

Users can control the feature in the "Sync and Google Services" section of Chrome Settings, and if you're not signed into Chrome, and not syncing your data with Google's servers, the feature won't work.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
I personally avoid any software or program made or manufactured by Google. Privacy and confidentiality concerns.

Yes!
Google gives you everything for free so they can sell, market and use your personal (and that of your family) information which equals big profits.

Why do you think it's free?
It's not because Wall Street shareholders love you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spavel6

How do I turn it off?

Users can control the feature in the "Sync and Google Services" section of Chrome Settings,

And set to OFF, "Warn you if passwords are exposed in a data breach"

If anyone is concerned about data breaches, simply contact the 3 major credit scoring companies and lock your accounts.

Then, if concerned contact the minor one or two credit scoring company.

This of course doesnt replace security on your computer but all make sure no one takes loans out in your name.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by spavel6

How do I turn it off?

Users can control the feature in the "Sync and Google Services" section of Chrome Settings,

And set to OFF, "Warn you if passwords are exposed in a data breach"

Well that doesn't work. Set to OFF yesterday and still get the popup today.

Guess I am the only person who loves the feature of chrome carrying my bookmark bar, links and passwords computer to computer for my job.

I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back