What is the Optimum length for a breaker bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maximum length is when the other end runs into the garage wall or a wheel or some other obstruction.

or something breaks routinely in the breaker bar and/or socket.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Anything can be broken, and when enough force, everything will flex. That's why they have 1/2" drive sockets, and bigger.

FWIW, I have two or three lengths of gas pipe in my garage, various lengths, that I slip over breaker bars. Something like 1" or 1.25" ID pipe. I'm sure the breaker will flex inside the pipe, but out of sight, out of mind... One of them might be 4' but usually 3' is about all that is needed.

I also keep a deadblow hammer around. A few raps on a stout wrench works well in close quarters (like caliper bolts).

The biggest I've seen in 1/2" drive is from Harbor Freight. It's 25" long, it flexes a bit but it works quite well.

I have this 1" drive 4 foot long breaker bar and 6 foot cheater. Only had to use them once on F150 lug nuts. The breaker bar alone did nothing.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I find a 1/2 " breaker bar, 24" long, starts to flex too much when breaking lugs on truck tires done to 140 ft lbs + .I'm currently shopping for a 3/4" breaker bar. ( I have one on sale notice at Canadian Tire.)

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I find a 1/2 " breaker bar, 24" long, starts to flex too much when breaking lugs on truck tires done to 140 ft lbs + .I'm currently shopping for a 3/4" breaker bar. ( I have one on sale notice at Canadian Tire.)

What brand of bar? My Plumb does not flex at all. I bet any truck brand wont either

I use my old 1/2" x 18" I-beam type breaker. It doesn't flex much at all and also add a longer pipe section over it for more leverage at times. One of my 'clicker' torque wrenches is 26" and that can also come into play.

Originally Posted by Chris142

What brand of bar? My Plumb does not flex at all. I bet any truck brand wont either

Yep, the 1/2 inch denotes the drive, not the diameter, so this whole discussion is variable, and not just based on the length of the bar.

Who of us has never used a cheater pipe? Lol. I've used it as all will concur, you need it. And as all of different lengths. And who has not used a cheater pipe on a ratchet? I have a 1/2" ratchet with a handle that is thicker than my breaker bar but hate to use that because of the pawls so I use my Father's 60 year old Craftsman rectangular breaker bar, unfortunately it flexes too much but hidden inside a pipe, which is additional support, it's fine.

Yep, the 1/2 inch denotes the drive, not the diameter

I think most people here know about that. Kinda like most women know about shrinkage.
blush.gif

HF has a 1/2" breaker bar, maybe it's 24" long, but a gas pipe over it works wonders on it for those lugs.

Whatever it needs to be in order to get the job done/bolt loosened.
I(like others) have put on a pipe over the handle of my breaker bar for extra leverage.

The length of your breaker bar doesn't matter nearly as much as the length of your cheater.

When I had the moggy I had a 1" drive set with a ratchet head with a stubby pin lock shaft, you could add extensions as many and as long as you wanted/needed.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Long enough to stand and jump on, so 36-40".

I'm more of a squatter/ lifter.

My HF 1/2" drive bar got adapted up to 3/4" to fit a dodge ball joint socket, and 6 feet of pipe got the job done, barely.

The flex built into the HF style bar isn't great, and if a rusty bolt breaks loose the vibrations into one's palms are obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back