gas smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
last week I dumped maybe a half pint of gasoline inside my car as I was taking gas to a friend who ran out along the road...long story short...I've tried about everything to get the smell out of the carpet, the smell is just about gone but when I turn on the heater the smell gets stronger...any idea how I can remove the smell...it was suggested that I replace the carpet but a 20 year old car but might be tuff to find carpet , not to mention what the price might be

IME the only thing that gets gas smell out of carpet is time and air movement, followed by appropriate cleaning products and techniques. I would first open the windows and set a fan next to the area overnight. The goal here is to make sure the gas has completely dried. After that, use a heavy duty foaming carpet cleaner ans stiff brush to clean the carpet (several YouTube vids on this technique). This should eliminate any remaining gas that releases odor. Follow this by applying your favorite scented freshener. Some sites suggest Castile soap which has a pleasant aroma.

Last edited:
at the suggestion of my wife I used Febreze...soaked the carpet and let dry overnight 2 times ...then went and bought some carpet fresh cleaner also used straight baking powder....now I have 3 of those scented Christmas trees air fresheners hanging in the car....overwhelming smell but better than gas smell

If its a confined spot, I'd use a wet dry vac and some warm water. Soak it, really soak it, vacuum it. Alternate a few times. Use some carpet cleaner last then suck that up. Then like above, you are going to need air movement and some time.

Last edited:
Just keep cleaning it over and over. I did the same thing with an old Blazer only a dozen thawed out smelt for Pike fishing fell out of the bag and leaked into the carpet in the back. Get it wet with soap and water and keep drying it and cleaning until its gone. I used Tide on the Blazer and it came out after a few cleanings and didn't damage the color or fabric.

Agree with all the suggestions. Ventilation is key. If it's possible to remove or lift up the carpeting that will help.

Originally Posted by Donald
With a gas can in the interior of your car you turned your car into a Pinto with respect to safety after a crash.

I suspect a gas can was not used, they generally do not leak.

Maybe steam the carpets and google gas spill in car. I am sure some detailers have done this one before.

My mower leaked gas in my 4Runner as i was transporting it this summer to help a friend. Lazy me topped it off to avoid taking the gas can.

Tried the Meg's interior bomb, baking soda and vinegar, steam vac. Like others said, do everything you can + vent + time.

Look into Ozium aerosol spray too. Can get it from walmart for the best price. Smokers use it to clean out the scent. Spray it as needed to make your drive more bearable until the gas smell disappears.

Try listerine. I learned to use this to get rid of cat pee smell in homes a few years back. Works for gas smell also. It does however make whatever smell like listerine. So whichever smell you prefer is the one you suffer.

i usually never transport gas inside of my car but being in a hurry I just set the 2 gallon plastic can on passenger side floor...I guess it was time for the infamous plastic cans to start leaking been trying to find good metal cans but so far no luck...I did find one but the price they wanted I could have filled my car up....lol

Last edited:
What make and model of car is this?

I ask because many cars today use different materials for flooring and support. Fiber board and structural foam are common.

If you have a metal floor then you will be fine. If it's newer materials then it could be more of a issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back