75w90 gl4 with lowest pour point?

My old ragged xj is due for a trans service. It's gotten cold here in Minnesota, and the first couple of miles is like shifting through frozen pudding. The ax-15 isn't having any of it.

Any oil recommendations for something with good cold weather performance?

Factory spec was a range of gear oil, gl4

I don't know. -51C might not cut it, especially if you are planning to drive to Snag, Yukon, where it got to -63 C.

Snag
lol.gif

Not sure what the lowest pour point is but this is what it is on my Amsoil GL4 -60 F Just put this in the Corolla about 10,000 miles ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Seems to be just fine I really can't tell any difference from the Toyota gear oil but if you can believe the service times of the two products its rated as more than twice as long. Its going to last awhile at the number of miles I drive a year.

Last edited:
keep in mind specs are for NEW lubes + many using fake synthetic group III lubes degrade faster + since like oils specs are at 40C + 100C they thicken in colder temps + again fake synthetics thicken faster + more. i use Redline for all drivetrain lubes + it works well, in fact shifting actually improves with some miles on it!!! Redline is a true real synthetic Ester lube!! in my 2011 frontier i gained about 3 mpgs with redline in everything + used 75-90 in the dana-nissan rear as noted on the dana-spicer web site

I would be looking at KV40 and VI instead of PP;

i.e: Highest VI and lowest KV40

The MOTUL (see below) posted above by tundraotto greatly eclipses the Amsoil - But it's GL4/GL5

PROPERTIES
Viscosity grade SAE J306 75W-90
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.897
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 72.6 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 15.2 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 222
Flash point ASTM D92 200°C / 392°F
Pour point ASTM D97 -60°C / -76°F

Last edited:
Redline MT-90 seems to be the best to run in the AX-15 according to many of the Jeep forums (It's also GL-4). I have some waiting to go in mine when I get a free moment.

The Motul is GL-4 AND GL-5

ie. (Suitable for any type of seal and yellow material used in gearboxes design. ) as stated in the PDS

Originally Posted by tundraotto

ie. (Suitable for any type of seal and yellow material used in gearboxes design. ) as stated in the PDS

Yes.....my R150 on my Toy LC is also specd for GL4/5 in 75w90......but was notchy with Motul GL4/5...and now works flawlesly with GL4 75w90

An MTF gear oil with a slightly lower viscosity fluid such as:

Winter MTF

would probably work better.

Unless you are an EMS person I wouldn't even venture out when it drops below -35F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tundraotto

experience has shown dual rated 4/5 dont play well with MT syncro braking. - too much slip.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
An MTF gear oil with a slightly lower viscosity fluid such as:

Winter MTF

would probably work better.

Unless you are an EMS person I wouldn't even venture out when it drops below -35F.

funny you should ask. wife is a medic, I fix her ambulances

Back