10,000mi OCI for a 2020 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2019. I dumped the oil after 1500 miles and replaced it with Mobil 1 0w40. It gets changed every 10,000 miles and the TBN is still over 5!

Very easy on oil and very very nice vehicles...you will love it!

There aren't many engines that are easier on oil than this engine... I don't think you can do anything to hurt it as long as there's oil in it. Change it once a year with Mobil 1 Extended Performance and forget about it.

If its setup like my wifes 14 Sienna the "maintenance engine soon" light will come on at 5K anyway. just change it then.

Really what are you saving. Oil changes are about $15 in oil (Supertech, Costco, amazon) and a $5 filter (Toyota) each year. why make it complicated?

Last edited:
id change out the FF at 5000, and let them change it out free at 10k miles, and keep doing 10k going forth after that.

10k service intervals are for "normal service" best-case scenarios, such as 75% highway miles, 15 mile (or longer) drives regularly, little city/stop-and-go driving, no dirt roads, etc. Everything else falls under the severe service category with shorter service intervals. Find out what the interval is for severe service, and get the service department to comply with the manufacturer's recommendation during the first 2 years/25,000 miles so your new vehicle gets the proper care. I mean, if you're truly under the normal service usage then go the full 10k, it will be fine. But there's no way I would run 10k intervals on a brand new vehicle with 8-mile daily commutes. That's a horrible way to treat a fresh engine, no matter how stout the oil is.

It's funny that the dealer will recommend 10k intervals during their "complementary service" because they want spend as little as possible.
But quick lube places will go with 5k or whatever the shortest interval is, because they want to do earn as much as possible.
Who is right? Too bad the industry is focused more on profits and less on what benefits the customer.
That's why I'm a real DIY service guy.

Originally Posted by DGXR
10k service intervals are for "normal service" best-case scenarios, such as 75% highway miles, 15 mile (or longer) drives regularly, little city/stop-and-go driving, no dirt roads, etc. Everything else falls under the severe service category with shorter service intervals. Find out what the interval is for severe service, and get the service department to comply with the manufacturer's recommendation during the first 2 years/25,000 miles so your new vehicle gets the proper care. I mean, if you're truly under the normal service usage then go the full 10k, it will be fine. But there's no way I would run 10k intervals on a brand new vehicle with 8-mile daily commutes. That's a horrible way to treat a fresh engine, no matter how stout the oil is.

It's funny that the dealer will recommend 10k intervals during their "complementary service" because they want spend as little as possible.
But quick lube places will go with 5k or whatever the shortest interval is, because they want to do earn as much as possible.
Who is right? Too bad the industry is focused more on profits and less on what benefits the customer.
That's why I'm a real DIY service guy.

I think you put it right on the money. I've pretty much settled on every 5K/year and alternate with the dealer at 10k until the complimentary maintenance is over and take over from there. Free is free, but the worry is always if the mechanics they have are monkeys or reasonable folk that do a great job, but is it worth saving $40 per oil change for that gamble? But that's always the gamble since it isn't their car. That idea, I'll dwell on. I have at least a year to think it over. I mean, I'll let them rotate the tires and refill the washer fluid at 5K, or just take it down to discount tire since it seems those guys at my local shop seem to care about their work.

Last edited:
The 2019 RAV 4 is using 0W16 with the same OCIs as is the Camry I believe. When you look at what it really cost the dealer to provide the 25,000 mile free service is it peanuts, probably less than $100, not enough to seal a deal for me.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I have a 2019. I dumped the oil after 1500 miles and replaced it with Mobil 1 0w40. It gets changed every 10,000 miles and the TBN is still over 5!

Very easy on oil and very very nice vehicles...you will love it!

A lot of people like using M1 0W40 with this engine.
Personally, I would have confidence with ST 0W20 or M1 0W20 EP,
but it is your call.
The 4Runner is one of the most solid, durable vehicles on the road.
4.0L is a winner.
Ahh. Use M1 0W40/ 10k mile OCI, and be confident it will last you forever.
IMHO.

This engine runs well on anything I put in it.
Dealer,0w20
Mobil 1 0w40
Havoline DS Pro 10w30.

The owners manual specifically states you can run a higher grade. Bit to be pragmatic, if that is the type of service it sees I wouldn't have any problem just sticking to 0w20 or higher ILSAC oils For 5 k intervalsand enjoying the reliable, so,I'd vehicle with that amazing Panasonic battery.

I recommend just doing 5 k OCI,s let the dealer due the 10 k changes until done.
After the first oil change I don't bother changing the filter on the 6 month/5k changes.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
15 minutes in San Diego will be enough to warm things up.

Once a year oil changes will be absolutely ok and required for warranty. Since you'll be nowhere near 10k miles, it will be conservative.

It's a new Toyota and you're in a nice climate. You've paid for peace of mind so enjoy it!

Agree with Charlie. Dump factory fill at 5k then go another 5k. After that just do the Toyota recommended 10k mile oci's. Just take the vehicle out for a half decent run on weekends to offset the short trips and yes stick with the 0w20, it's good oil. After the freebie oil changes are finished I would use Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and stay with 10k oci. Nice ride by the way.

FYI

The 5.7 L V8 Tundra is speced to use 0W20 while towing two 4Runners
shocked2.gif

imho, if you want to steer away from 0W20, you will need to use a very good xW30 for example.
I am not a thinnie, however I will take most 0W20's over cheap 5W30's.
Maybe try a 0W30 or a good 5W30 or even 10W30 since you live in San Diego!
Much easier to make an inferior oil with 5W and up as oppose to 0W.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Is the cost of a basic UOA at 5k miles prohibitive? Get some data then base your decision off it.. you may find that 10k mile oci's work just fine for her. Fwiw I'm not a extended drain fanboi but I think your/her situation is unique.

10K OCI isn't an extended drain. The recommended OCI in the 60's was 6K. Technology has evolved a few dozen generations since then.

Severe service is 5k/6 months. You could change the oil every six months and do the oil and filter every other time. If you do an oil drain and fill without changing the filter it takes an even 6 quarts vs 6.6 quarts to change the oil and filter. Dropping the oil every 6 months and putting 6 quarts back in is easy enough because there is an access panel for the oil drain plug. Changing the filter is a pain on these.
[Linked Image]

Seems to me that nothing the OP put on constitutes severe driving under what Toyota says. Otherwise, I would stick to a once a year oil change. You may be able to get your 2 free oil changes that way.

Stick to once a year changes or 10000 miles and 0w/20. You might as well leave the factory fill in there for at least 3000 miles.

Its worth a note that those that change the oil frequently don't hold onto the vehicle long and those that extend the intervals keep them forever.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Stick to once a year changes or 10000 miles and 0w/20. You might as well leave the factory fill in there for at least 3000 miles.

Its worth a note that those that change the oil frequently don't hold onto the vehicle long and those that extend the intervals keep them forever.

I change my oil at less than half that interval, in fact in my 32 year old van it averages every 4K miles. I'd consider myself someone who keeps a vehicle forever. My 08 Liberty gets changed every 6K miles, and the 2016 Rubicon every 5K miles. I have no intentions of getting rid of any of them at the moment.

Going from 0W20 to 0W40 seems like a pretty big jump. Can't think of a reason why 0W40 would be better. I think just leaving it at 0W20 will be best as it'll be seeing the asphalt 95% of the year and maybe the snowy mountains for a weekend. Ideally, I think it would be best to stick to what Toyota recommends to keep it simple, even though they likely picked that weight for EPA reasons. But if it's working, why change it?

I like that idea about the oil filter though, leave the oil filter in for 2 changes, but since I'll be under there already, I know I'll just tell myself "might as well since I'm already down here".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back