2008 Dodge Ram 3500, 11kmiles, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a first sample with known oil and change interval, from about one month of RV transporting. 50% loaded, 50% empty duty cycle.

Polaris comments:
Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor
equipment and fluid conditions. OXIDATION is at a MINOR level, which may be due to extended drain interval or high operating
temperature. Iron is at a MINOR LEVEL. IRON SOURCES in engines can be cylinder liners, iron pistons, hardened steel
camshafts, crankshafts, gears, hardened rocker arms, valve bridges,alloyed steel cam follower rollers, etc. Lubricant change
acknowledged.

Iron wear is up significantly, but it isn't necessarily the oil because the miles on the previous oil sample was unknown. But the wear rate is pretty high compared to the later UOA's of my old truck.
Soot of 1.2% is significant, and may be a normal thing with an EGR engine.

Since the filter only had 11k miles on it, I did the oil change to RT6 without changing the filter, so the next sample will still have ~9% Delvac 1300 in it.
I still don't like the weak additive package of Delvac 1300, and probably won't use it again, at least without supplementing with a ZDDP additive.
The oil that was in the truck when I got it looked much better for antiwear.

Dodge-UOA.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting!! Nice to see decent viscosity retention and no fuel. That soot is interesting. I have not read many UOA on the ISB6.7, especially the pre SCR trucks. From what Cummins said, soot condemnation is set at 3%.

Iron appears high but really is there an unsafe iron wear rate with these engines?

I figured I would end up with high fuel and soot on mine from this past index. Decent amount of idle, cold weather and short trips. Mine has been around the 0.58% mark.

Definitely a weak add pack on that delvac.

I would continue to monitor soot level and iron wear per mile

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
here is a radical idea

CHANGE THE OIL

oil is cheap, engines are expensive

I did change the oil.
What are you getting at?

Wear rate for Fe isn't bad, but as you note, there's room for improvement. Can't compare it to the previous sample; unknown use duration.
A sample size of one isn't really much to go on, but you gotta do what you're comfortable with.
Let us know how the RT6 does.

Originally Posted by mattd
Definitely a weak add pack on that delvac.

I'm thinking the same thing, I'm not overly impressed with Delvac Super 1300 15W40 after looking at this UOA.

I recently switched back to Delvac Super 1300 in the Pre-EPA Series 60 Detroit in my Semi Truck. This UOA made me "rethink" my decision to switch back to 1300 Super, and I just bought 10 gallons of Delo 400 XLE 15W40 to try after I've put a total of 15,000 miles on the Delvac that's currently in my sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman
Since the filter only had 11k miles on it, I did the oil change to RT6 without changing the filter, so the next sample will still have ~9% Delvac 1300 in it.
I still don't like the weak additive package of Delvac 1300, and probably won't use it again, at least without supplementing with a ZDDP additive.
The oil that was in the truck when I got it looked much better for antiwear.

If you want, you could always play around with adding some of this:

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back