11 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was browsing through my owners manual for transfer case fluid and saw the manual says GM 6094m and not Dexos approved. Not worried about it as these 5.3s aren't direct injected and before Dexos they were just fine with Dino. But 11 was supposed to be the year Dexos became mandatory. Was actually thinking about going to regular old red MaxLife before the Rotella Gas Truck went on closeout. Has this been covered a million times or was there just a run of wrong owner manuals or what?
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by WiskyBadger
Was browsing through my owners manual for transfer case fluid and saw the manual says GM 6094m and not Dexos approved. Not worried about it as these 5.3s aren't direct injected and before Dexos they were just fine with Dino. But 11 was supposed to be the year Dexos became mandatory. Was actually thinking about going to regular old red MaxLife before the Rotella Gas Truck went on closeout. Has this been covered a million times or was there just a run of wrong owner manuals or what?
banana2.gif

There isn't any reason for not using the the "Dexos" spec'ed oil. It's not more expensive than any other motor oil. Even the cheap "ST" motor oil at Walmart carries the Dexos label.

And yes-this has been covered a million times.............

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Sure that engine can run well on a Dino, but there is really no point as there are plenty of excellent Dexos lubes for $1-2 more per 5qt jug.

Dexos rated lube all day in a 5.3L with AFM.

I've run Dexos rated oil in it since I've owned it. Just thought it was silly. Btw I have the cylinder deactivation turned off. Got better mileage with it off
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by CKN
banana2.gif

There isn't any reason for not using the the "Dexos" spec'ed oil. It's not more expensive than any other motor oil. Even the cheap "ST" motor oil at Walmart carries the Dexos label.

And yes-this has been covered a million times.............

I have run FS since I've owned it. Just thought it was a little misleading.

Sure that engine can run well on a Dino, but there is really no point as there are plenty of excellent Dexos lubes for $1-2 more per 5qt jug.

I've run Dexos rated oil in it since I've owned it. Just thought it was silly. Btw I have the cylinder deactivation turned off. Got better mileage with it off
crazy2.gif

I turned mine off and saw a 10% decrease in millage. I also saw a harsh 2-1 downshift. I called Range Technology (if that is the device you are using) and they were aware of this issue in a few "isolated cases". I ended up selling the Range unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

crazy2.gif

I turned mine off and saw a 10% decrease in millage. I also saw a harsh 2-1 downshift. I called Range Technology (if that is the device you are using) and they were aware of this issue in a few "isolated cases". I ended up selling the Range unit.

No my brother tuned it out for me,he uses HP tuners. Absolutely 0 problem with shifting and burns no oil with AFM disabled. My mileage went from 14.7 to 16 mpg. All that in and out of AFM and downshifting with 8 cylinders did absolutely nothing for gas mileage. My 08 was the same way.

Last edited:
If you have that cylinder deactivation crap, delete it and tune it, best money I've spent in my old 12 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3.

I've owned 5 vehicles have there are dozens more in fleet service with tens of thousands of hours of service with some short of AFM. None of my vehicles and less than I can count on one hand has any type of noticeable oil consumption and no engine failures.

I don't know what the secret is but I believe the worse thing someone can do is consistently lug engines.

Originally Posted by Newman88
If you have that cylinder deactivation crap, delete it and tune it, best money I've spent in my old 12 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3.

I did, went away as soon as I got the truck. Same with the 08 I had.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I've owned 5 vehicles have there are dozens more in fleet service with tens of thousands of hours of service with some short of AFM. None of my vehicles and less than I can count on one hand has any type of noticeable oil consumption and no engine failures.

I don't know what the secret is but I believe the worse thing someone can do is consistently lug engines.

My 2008 I had prior to this truck had 1 qt consumption in 3000 miles. After I got rid of the AFM I wouldn't have to add oil in 6000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back