Low, Mid or High SAPS oil for natural gas powered generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low, Mid or High SAPS oil for natural gas powered generator?

Its a Generac with essentially a lawn mower engine.

Typically low-SAPS oils are recommended for natural gas engines to keep the buildup of combustion chamber ash deposits to a minimum. Heavily-loaded spark ignition engines are susceptible to preignition from ash deposits. But it's probably not a big concern for an intermittent use application like a backup generator.

Originally Posted by Danno
Interesting article here.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/524/natural-gas-engine-oil-analysis

As a result, oil drains are never required. According to the EMA publication, oil viscosities recommended are SAE 30 or 40 depending upon temperature. These engines call for oils with sulfated ash as low as 0.2 percent to 0.5 percent with a BN in a range of 3 to 7 when burning high quality natural gas. When burning fuels with up to 1.0 percent sulfur content, the manufacturer recommends oils with sulfated ash content of 1.3 percent to 2.0 percent with a BN of 9 to16.

So if quality gas is used Acea C4(ash 0.5 max).....C3 (ash 0.8 max)

If not...than according to upper quote any A3/B4 or HDEO is ok
smile.gif

I recall Amsoil used to sell an oil specifically for NG powered engines. I think they dropped it as there was not a lot of demand, but give them a call and I bet they can suggest a specific product.

I seriously have no idea what exactly saps even is?? Some type of ash??and why it's in oil in the first place. Figured I could ask in this thread in case anyone else is in the same boat as myself. I need to know what's best for my 94 E150 5.8L.

Last edited:
Koehler and Briggs & Stratton recommend 5W30 full synthetic. The Generac engine is essentially a Kohler. The Generac maintenance kit includes 5W30 extended life full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by R1jake
I seriously have no idea what exactly saps even is?? Some type of ash??and why it's in oil in the first place. Figured I could ask in this thread in case anyone else is in the same boat as myself. I need to know what's best for my 94 E150 5.8L.

SAPS: Sulfated Ash, Phosphorous, and Sulfur. The amount, in percent mass, of ash left after the oil in question is burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back