Power steering fluid change out; frequency.

Yeah ok...there is plenty of "reserve" in any OCI....but just dont tell us that you believe in "sealed/filled for life" recommendations....

If power steering fluid was meant to last forever then why does EVERY gm power steering pump or rack leak at or around 100k? Is it the seals or the fluid? I personally think it's the fluid.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
If power steering fluid was meant to last forever then why does EVERY gm power steering pump or rack leak at or around 100k? Is it the seals or the fluid? I personally think it's the fluid.

Had many GM cars >100K miles and not one ever leaked. Never even thought of changing it until all these BITOG worriers bought it to my attention LOL

[
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Yeah ok...there is plenty of "reserve" in any OCI....but just dont tell us that you believe in "sealed/filled for life" recommendations....

I do believe in sealed for life units. I have seen first hand countless vehicles with what I consider ridiculous miles with sealed for life trannys. Do understand for life means....."non" severe driving and if the tranny shows no problems. If it needs to be opened for repairs...say...replace a shift solenoid Ect. then a partial or possibly full fluid change if for example a torque converter is changed. Many owner manuals state to inspect the fluid but don't call for a change. If inspecting the the fluid via the weep hole you discover the fluid discolored then a partial change is called for.

I get a kick out of this forum seeing how OCD most people are and laugh at all they and time wasted. In the real life of using vehicles to make money and for emergency / city services no boutique fluids will every touch a vehicle. Minimum service intervals will be followed and you will have cars, trucks, busses ect with hundreds of thousands of miles.

Last edited:

Have to call BS on this. I can absolutely promise you not EVERY GM power steering g pump or rack leaks around 100k miles. Sorry you had some bad luck but the vast majority Saul right on by 100k and keep pumping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ToadU

Have to call BS on this. I can absolutely promise you not EVERY GM power steering g pump or rack leaks around 100k miles. Sorry you had some bad luck but the vast majority Saul right on by 100k and keep pumping.

Although we only buy pickups and vans for our service biz, I cannot recall a single one that ever had any kind of PS issue at all. Not a one.

Originally Posted by ToadU

I owned quite a few GM products in my day, and never had an issue with PS pumps or the racks leaking. I went well over 100K with them too.

Haw, I am not the only one then.

Every rack I have ever replaced has been on a car I owned. But since I am a nut who often sucks out the reservoir and refills with fresh fluid it is a rare even with very high mileage.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Haw, I am not the only one then.

Every rack I have ever replaced has been on a car I owned. But since I am a nut who often sucks out the reservoir and refills with fresh fluid it is a rare even with very high mileage.

I've stopped leaks on some gm racks by simply changing the fluid, I really think it shears down and just weeps through. I meant to say every gm I've owned not every gm. Sorry for the confusion.

l know it's an older thread and all, but l've seen enough yes change it, and a lot of leave it alone too.
But l am thinking it is a good idea, and l plan on changing mine soon.

Back