10,000mi OCI for a 2020 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just helped my girlfriend get a new 4Runner this past weekend. Saw that it came with Toyota Care, 2 year/25,000 miles, with an oil change every 10k miles, and other maintenance every 5k miles, which I think is pretty cool.

I'm not as smart as a Toyota engineer, but 0w-20 for 10,000 miles in a big heavy engine doesn't sit well with me. I was thinking doing my own oil changes every 5,000 miles in between the Toyota Care service with that good Toyota oil. Goal is to keep the oil clean during the engine break in as much as possible, and then possibly keep that trend as she only drives 8 miles to work so that would be deemed as harsh driving(?); or step it up to 10k OCI depending on how things go after the break in?

I mean, 0W-20 in a 4 cylinder Camry for 10,000 miles sounds good, but this one is a weird one.

What do you guys think?

Those 4.0L engines are super easy on Oil as proven over and over again by UOA's.
Believe it or not 0w-20 oils are very stout.
The 4.0L doesn't have the fuel dilution issues.
Dump the Factory fill at 2,500 for peace of mind then Change at 10,000 then change every 10,00 after that.

"as she only drives 8 miles to work"

I think the same as you, 10k is a long OCI when the warm-up cycles are only 8 miles. If it were mine I would change it every 5k. 10k would be fine if the commute was something like 50 miles each way. Does the 4Runner have an oil life monitor?

Originally Posted by ad244
Those 4.0L engines are super easy on Oil as proven over and over again by UOA's.
Believe it or not 0w-20 oils are very stout.
The 4.0L doesn't have the fuel dilution issues.
Dump the Factory fill at 2,500 for peace of mind then Change at 10,000 then change every 10,00 after that.

I was actually considering this, assuming the 4.0L is a gentle giant, and whole numbers for the mileage are easy to remember since it isn't my car and I know she isn't going to remember a 7.5k mile cadence or something similar as compared to 5k miles or 10k miles. But the short trips play a factor, 8 miles to work, about 15 minutes of driving on city lights and a couple of long road stretches. She'll only be driving about 5k miles a year. The math comes out to 4,160 miles, then add on extra for extra curricular driving.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
"as she only drives 8 miles to work"

I think the same as you, 10k is a long OCI when the warm-up cycles are only 8 miles. If it were mine I would change it every 5k. 10k would be fine if the commute was something like 50 miles each way. Does the 4Runner have an oil life monitor?

I wouldn't mind doing it every 5K at all which would be about once a year, just trying to justify a 10k cycle which would push 2 years, although 2 years seems quite long.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. She won't be driving close to 10k miles a year unless something changes, I guess an oil change once a year will suffice.

You're over thinking it. Welcome to the club.
smile.gif

Pick an interval and roll with it. It'll be fine.

Is the cost of a basic UOA at 5k miles prohibitive? Get some data then base your decision off it.. you may find that 10k mile oci's work just fine for her. Fwiw I'm not a extended drain fanboi but I think your/her situation is unique.

Last edited:
15 minutes in San Diego will be enough to warm things up.

Once a year oil changes will be absolutely ok and required for warranty. Since you'll be nowhere near 10k miles, it will be conservative.

It's a new Toyota and you're in a nice climate. You've paid for peace of mind so enjoy it!

Chances are there is a time limit, probably a year. If she only drives 8 miles to work chances are she doesn't get to 10k in a year?

Chevy pickups have been using 20 weight oil and doing truck things with it for a long time. Nothing to worry about in terms of the oil.

Ive got a 2012 4runner and end up doing 2 OCIs a year, somewhere around 8-9k miles with M1. If it were mine, Id pick a nice time during the year that you dont mind crawling under the car and do an annual OCI with ST 0w20. Thats right at $20 a year for an oil change. Or even cheaper if you can stock up on some closeout oil.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
smile.gif

The BITOG bug bit me. From lurking, to posting, to asking the question as I'm realizing what just happened.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Is the cost of a basic UOA at 5k miles prohibitive? Get some data then base your decision off it.. you may find that 10k mile oci's work just fine for her. Fwiw I'm not a extended drain fanboi but I think your/her situation is unique.

I can do one. 10K OCI would mean once every 2 years, so that's too long, I think.

I'm thinking 2.5K-3K for the first change to get rid of the shaved metals, then let it ride to 10K for the first free change, then going "5K/once a year" thereafter with the last free change at 20K.

Originally Posted by N Heat
Ive got a 2012 4runner and end up doing 2 OCIs a year, somewhere around 8-9k miles with M1. If it were mine, Id pick a nice time during the year that you dont mind crawling under the car and do an annual OCI with ST 0w20. Thats right at $20 a year for an oil change. Or even cheaper if you can stock up on some closeout oil.

Yeah, I can't trust her to remember 8k or 9k cadences. It has to be easier, like the yearly as you stated or 5k/10k. Amazon has the Toyota oil for $6.8 per quart. Not too bad of a price, all things considered with that moly.

Last edited:
short trips are SEVERE service for sure!!! my 2001 jetta had free oil changes for 2 years, forget the miles, but being a turbo i DUMPED the factory mystery oil when i got home after the service for real synthetic PAO. they would not put it in even if i supplied it, BUT later after sludge issues VW specd a synthetic oil, go figure!!! once warranty is gone its your $$$. manufactures tout less upkeep + some lifetime fluids for better sales NOT longevity as they car less if its your $$$$

After an early dump of the FF and filter I'd run the oil a year and get a UOA to see how well it did TBN wise. Wear metals are going to be high, which is normal for a new vehicle, but it will indicate if coolant is getting into the oil and how fuel dilution is. You'll have the data to estimate how long the oil can go safely.

Originally Posted by benjy
short trips are SEVERE service for sure!!! my 2001 jetta had free oil changes for 2 years, forget the miles, but being a turbo i DUMPED the factory mystery oil when i got home after the service for real synthetic PAO. they would not put it in even if i supplied it, BUT later after sludge issues VW specd a synthetic oil, go figure!!! once warranty is gone its your $$$. manufactures tout less upkeep + some lifetime fluids for better sales NOT longevity as they car less if its your $$$$

Good point, My car is on a 5K OCI as well. I want it to last as long as possible. Can't find a B8.5 Audi S4 in manual, in good condition easily, nowadays.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
After an early dump of the FF and filter I'd run the oil a year and get a UOA to see how well it did TBN wise. Wear metals are going to be high, which is normal for a new vehicle, but it will indicate if coolant is getting into the oil and how fuel dilution is. You'll have the data to estimate how long the oil can go safely.

Toyota's factory fill is their standard 0W20 oil, isn't it? Isn't that what they use for the Toyota care as well? Or are they cheaping out?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
Originally Posted by benjy

Good point, My car is on a 5K OCI as well. I want it to last as long as possible. Can't find a B8.5 Audi S4 in manual, in good condition easily, nowadays.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Toyota's factory fill is their standard 0W20 oil, isn't it? Isn't that what they use for the Toyota care as well? Or are they cheaping out?

I'm not sure what Toyota is using these days for a FF, odds are it is their 0W20. I'm a long time fan of dumping the FF early. Finally having UOA data greatly reduces doubt regarding how long oil can go, or if fuel dilution or coolant might be an issue.

Originally Posted by BucDan
Originally Posted by cpayne5
smile.gif

The BITOG bug bit me. From lurking, to posting, to asking the question as I'm realizing what just happened.

I think he's referring to the 4Runner club.

Yes, the Dealer will change your oil at 10k or 1 year intervals, whichever occurs first. If you do use the 'free' 2 year/25k services, I'd suggest taking off the skidplates yourself beforehand. As way too many skidplate bolts or threads are stripped by ham-fisted hacks zipping the bolts in with an impact.

Last edited:
OP, I agree with your 0w-20 reservations; I will be using 5w-30 soon and may use 0w-40 eventually...the overseas specs allow up to 15w-40 in the same engine so no worries on higher viscosity.

As for interval, short trips may not work for 10k, but might. A UOA is needed to be sure. I'm currently in the middle of a 1-year up to 15k interval with Amsoil....stay tuned.

Lots of Toyota folks do the personal 5k oil change, then go in at 10k for the freebie. My buddy bought a Tundra TRD Pro and talked them into doing it at 5k with the ToyotaCare plan ... So i guess it just goes if you know folks or bish enough. Or buy a $55k truck and get what you want.

And join T4R.org if you haven't. Great lively and friendly forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back