Wrong Oil? Deciphering "Codes" on Walmart Receipt..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my daughter took one of the cars to Walmart for an oil change yesterday, and I'm afraid they may have used the wrong oil, so I'm hoping someone can read through their abbreviations...

The receipt says;

"HIGH MILEAGE FEATURED"

"ST EB 5W20 SN"

The vehicle in question is a 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 Eco-boost (Turbo) 4-cyl. with 71673 miles.

Thanks much in advance..

Last edited:
That's their standard ST syn oil change. Good stuff. Think they do this so they can cover HM and syn with one product. Most Valvoline lube places do the same thing with Maxlife as their "blend" --more expensive, even though VWB is also a blend-- oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I wouldn't worry about that oil.

Yeah, and the "EB" stands for econo box
smile.gif

Good oil nonetheless

Thanks all..

First off, I wasn't convinced that I needed "High Mileage" oil at 71-72,000 miles.

Second, wasn't sure if this was a blend or not (as I believe the Ford spec calls for that, especially with the turbo and this motor being so small - 1.6L).

Third...well, there was something else but it's slipping my young (well into "middle-aged") mind at this moment............,....?

Thanks again to you all..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
Looks like SuperTech 5W20 High Mileage oil was used. Don't see an issue.

Actually it's Supertech full synthetic. They put it under the "high mileage featured" name because of the price difference with the name brand full synthetic.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Actually it's Supertech full synthetic. They put it under the "high mileage featured" name because of the price difference with the name brand full synthetic.

How sure are you on this? That would really seal the deal for me here, as that (Super Tech FULL Synth) is what I told my daughter to as for...

Originally Posted by GreasyG

How sure are you on this? That would really seal the deal for me here, as that (Super Tech FULL Synth) is what I told my daughter to as for...

Im 100% sure, I work for Walmart.

Oh, also, I'm assuming the "SN" at the end of the name is the API designation/classification?

Oh, also, I'm assuming the "SN" at the end of the name is the API designation/classification?

ST EB 5W20 SN = Supertech EcoBox 5W20 SN is the API approval. And they only make Supertech Full Synthetic as a cheaper off brand compared to M1, Pennzoil and Castrol. They do not make Supertech in any other type ( conventional/High mileage) for the shop.

Yes..in the future I'd use an SN+ lube if I were you considering your turbo.

Last edited:

Great--thanks much!
cheers3.gif

Great--thanks much!
cheers3.gif

Great--thanks much!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by PimTac
I wouldn't worry about that oil.

Yeah, and the "EB" stands for econo box
smile.gif

Good oil nonetheless

Could Ecobox mean "Ecological" box (less plastic waste)?

DIY is the only way to be sure what goes it unless they allow you to watch, NOT legal + even then you gotta see where it comes from! with synthetic group III oils being so cheap these days using anything less is NUTS IMO!

Thanks all..

First off, I wasn't convinced that I needed "High Mileage" oil at 71-72,000 miles.

Second, wasn't sure if this was a blend or not (as I believe the Ford spec calls for that, especially with the turbo and this motor being so small - 1.6L).

Third...well, there was something else but it's slipping my young (well into "middle-aged") mind at this moment............,....?

Thanks again to you all..

No Ford does not call for a "blend" Ford recommends Motorcraft which happens to be marketed as a "blend" but it is just Phillips 66 lowest offering of API certified oils.

It's important to pay attention to the certification and specs not the marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back