Lubricating door on airtight wood stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cast iron door on my Regency air tight wood stove was screeching when opened or closed. I removed the door and used a graphite spray on the pins and the bases where the door contacts the base of the pins. I found it was "pin up"and the shiny metal pieces were just decorative caps, and not the head of the pin.

I posted this photo of the product once before. It's a Canadian company with the name Jigaloo. Yes, I know it's one letter from a bad word. They have a full line of spray lubricants. I'm pretty sure any other brand would work just as well. This one is good for 1000 F. My stove often operates at 500 F. Just don't spray it when there is a flame in the stove. It uses propane and butane as a carrier. It goes on wet and dries almost instantly.

The sound went away immediately and I almost slammed the door shut, it worked so well. I'll see how long it works. By the way Mr. Clean cleaning pads do a good job on the glass of the door.

Any other lubes out there that you have tried?
smile.gif

FFBC2CE5-BF90-4654-B8BF-B1DDED124A3C.jpeg

914ABB25-E63A-404D-BE58-7FFC93F5A2CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Phosphor bronze sleeves or bushes are probably the 'best' albeit least convenient solution, graphite is certainly a good option. Does anybody know offhand the temperature range of Ultimox, or if there exists an extreme-heat Ultimox analogue? I imagine something like that would function very well in this application but have no data to support my hunch

Moly. I saved a bit of LiquiMoly to use for this purpose.

Then there is animal ester bacon grease.
Hard to beat that on the cheap

You will have seasoned C..I. pin bores.

Last edited:
Copper AS or graphite. What's a jigabloo?

I read in a car mag years ago that show cars with cast iron exhaust manifolds were painted with graphite spray because it held up better than high temp paint. If it rubbed off you could just touch it up on the car.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
lock lubricant is just pure graphite, works well.

Rod

That's what I used, same dry graphite for locks, like Lock-eaze.

I have a Morso Danish airtight stove. I lube the latch and door hinge pins with a sailboat lube from Harken called Mclube Sailcote. I have used stove glass cleaning products, but a wet paper towel dipped in ashes seems to work as well. (on cold glass of course)

First world problem? I'd imagine that even if you put a drop of plain old motor oil in, and it varnished up and turned to ash, that it would stop squeaks and lube enough that you could never wear out those hinge pins.

Can't imagine buying a lube for that. Don't have storage space for a special lube for every single thing that moves either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back