Altimax RT43 snow review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the RT43's on the 300 about 2,000 miles ago, have been generally impressed with them. They are the 245/45r20 V speed rated and the 300 is RWD. The county we moved to seems to operate on a "we'll deal with the snowy roads when it stops snowing" mentality, which is 100% fine with me! Everything was snow covered like what you see in my picture, and late enough out that people really weren't out driving even on the more major roads.

All in all, I'm quite content with these tires. I wasn't expecting miracles, I'd get proper snow tires for that, but they impressed me nonetheless. The previous tires, Ironman iMove Gen2 AS (courtesy of Carmax), were a complete joke in the snow. Anything more than idle, they'd slip. Anything more than coasting would activate ABS under braking. I can actually accelerate, brake, and turn now.

I then added 320lbs of water softener salt to the trunk, which kills 3 birds with one stone. Traction improved a little under acceleration and braking, I now have what I think is an obscene amount of water softener salt for a 4 person family (someone let me know if I'm wrong about this), and if I absolutely need it I can use it for traction. Struggled a bit getting out of the driveway, as it slopes up towards the road, but it managed.

Dry and wet traction are great otherwise, they're nice and quiet, and I've accidentally bombed through a few big puddles before learning where the roads pool without hydroplaning.

TL;DR version: v rated RT43's have great wet and dry traction, and good snow traction. I'll be buying a set for the van when it's time.
[Linked Image]

Nice review. The pic in the snow and vehicle a nice touch. I've had the V rated RT43 on an Accord for several years, been satisfied with my purchase. As I had a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 on previously, RT43s compare very favorably, less $$$. And I liked the Michelin too. Snow not really a factor here.

After you get more miles, you should update.

18 months prior to selling our Lexus in late 2015, I installed the RT43(T rated) on our RX300 AWD(key acronym -AWD).

OE tires on the RX were the smooth & quiet G/Y Integrity(T). But, the OE tires sucked at everything else...cornering, stopping, skittish, hiwy tracking etc.

Then I moved to G/Y AssuComfTreadTouring(T) which was a nice tire, and I'm not a G/Y fan.

Then to the RT43(T). The RT43s were everything the G/Y ACT Tour and more. Or I should say, equal to or better at everything except the RT43 were not as quiet. And I've said this before. The RT43 weren't loud persay, just more noticeable than the OE G/Y Integ's or the G/Y ACT Tour.

The RT43
*Turned-in better(not handled but, turned-in better) The Lexus RX300 isn't about handling.
*Tracked better on the highway.
*Road better over broken pavement with better impact absorption. Smooth hiwy was equal.
*Went through the snow as good as the G/Y ACTs.
*Fuel Economy was equal to the other two.
*I'm not even sure why I question myself on getting them again. I probably will.

I am considering these for our 2018 Tiguan based on decent feedback in another thread and likely some from you.

I fortunately have better getting going traction with the 4motion AWD in the VW. But it says something when an RWD vehicle is usable with the tires.

I'm thinking in the area you live in I would invest in a set of snow tires for the rear of the the car just to be safe. Deep snow I'm thinking you could have a issue being the tires are so wide.

My mom has the RT43's on her 2011 Honda Fit and they are MUCH better in the snow than any of the previous tires she had on it.

For the record I bought snow tires for my BMW, and it's unstoppable now. I'm not sure how I ever made it through 13 years of snowstorms without them with other vehicles. By far the best money I've spent.

Just drove a Cherokee (4WD on auto) up a steep, icy, rutted, and snow covered road. At least 10% grade. Once I got it to the top, had to see what tires it had. Yup, new RT43s. I was impressed.

Thank you for this review Skippy722. I'm in the market for 235/55R19 101V and wondered if the General would compete with the likes of Continental, Michelin or Pirelli in this size. The OE tire on my vehicle was the Michelin Latitude and replaced them with the same but they didn't last as long as the originals; 35% less.

My sub division is the same, they don't plow until the next morning so we still had a nice fresh layer of snow at 6 this morning. I didn't get to try the RT43s in the snow when they were new, but with 8/32s left, they were a joke in the snow in that last early morning snow/slush. The OEM Cooper RS-3A felt better, although my focus does have really bad torque steer and the red-bull can sized turbo puts out too much torque at a low rpm.

Last edited:
I just got rid of a Chevy Equinox with AWD. I had two sets of wheels for that car and RT43s were mounted on one set. I found them to be very good in the snow last year. I went through six inches of virgin snow (no tracks) with no trouble at all. I just replaced the Equinox with a Kia Sorento AWD that came with Kumho Crugen Premier tires. They look like they'll do the job but the owner reviews on Tire Rack show them to be poor in ice and snow. I'll try to get through this winter with those and then get some RT43s next year.

Good review. I feel the same about the RT43s (T-rated) on my Accord. I've got ~15k on them and they're still quiet & wearing well. I like how they stay planted when turning into slushy parking lots.

The RT43s I installed on my wife's 2017 Santa Fe XL-AWD have been very impressive in the snow-they are not snow tires of course, but do well.

I use Altimax Arctic studded tires all the way around on my 3 front wheel drive vehicles and regular RT43's on my AWD. I have nothing but praise for both styles. My only complaint being they have risen in cost to an extent where they aren't the bargain they used to be.

My H rated RT43's were awesome with the snow that started yesterday when going to work. Interstate 40 was a parking lot with cars off road. I had no problem. Going South on 270 traffic flow was better. I could confidently go 50 mph in the fast lane with poor conditions. More snow today. Took 30 mph street home with snow and slush. Not one time did I loose traction today. I have about 6k on the tires. I am happy.
smile.gif

I have them on my wife's Trax for summer tires, running studded Arctic Claws in the winter. I find myself not worrying about putting them on in mid October since I think the RT43's do better in the wet slushy stuff than the Arctic Claws.

Nice! Whoever gave you the idea to buy those is a genius!

As t o the water softener, I lucked out with not needing one. That sounds expensive!

Originally Posted by sloinker
I use Altimax Arctic studded tires all the way around on my 3 front wheel drive vehicles and regular RT43's on my AWD. I have nothing but praise for both styles. My only complaint being they have risen in cost to an extent where they aren't the bargain they used to be.

Same here with the AltiMAX Arctic on steelies for winter(non studded) on the Civic in my sig.
In the Spring, I will most likely install the RT43s on the OE wheels. These reviews PLUS my own past experience has me sold.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Nice! Whoever gave you the idea to buy those is a genius!

As t o the water softener, I lucked out with not needing one. That sounds expensive!

Some dude who likes Trans Am's and Mazda's!
lol.gif
Thank you very much hahaha!

As for the softener, they say 40lbs a month is average, and a 40lb bag is $4-$7. Luckily the previous owners bought a nice Kinetico system, so no rental fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back