Your old favourite, that you don’t get much anymore

SR5

What is an old favourite oil of yours, that is still available in some form, that you don't buy anymore?

I have a few, mostly on the thicker side.

Penrite HPR30 which is a 20W-60 mineral oil. It was the go-to performance oil back in the day. It was thick, with a heavy add pack, and carried real specs.
(API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3, KV100 = 23.5 cSt, TBN = 8.4, SA = 1.15%, Zinc = 1530 ppm)
I used this stuff for years on end. For both motorcycles and cars.

Also Castrol Edge 10W60 (aka FormulaR), still around, and a good performance synthetic. But I now realise I no longer need it. Too thick for my mundane daily drive family car. Before I used nothing else for almost 10 years in my motorcycle and sometimes my beater car when I could afford it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
What is an old favourite oil of yours, that is still available in some form, that you don't buy anymore?

Buy ? I don't much buying of oil, just use whatever is on tap where ever I am working. Standby oils for me were GTX 20W-50 and TTS. I don't get GTX anymore, and TTS is no longer TTS, a new name and it even smells different...but I still use it by preference.

I've used a bit of GTX 20W-50 over the years, and it's still around, but I haven't used any for ages. Last time I did was in an old push mower.

For me it was Havoline. It was a good oil and cheap. I'm sure that I could find it if I looked hard enough but that's not happening.

However, when Havoline oils were more readily available, they were always less expensive everyday than the competition and always had a rebate to go along with its lower price. I could often buy Havoline oils(dino) for ,49c -.69c/qt in the 1qt bottles. Of course, this was when I first discovered Bob's.

Lastly(~2 yrs ago), I did find Havoline ProDS Full Syn for .75c - $1/qt. on closeout. Now that's cheap! More recently I did score some QSUD full syn for .75c - $1.50/qt and have been using & liking the QS oils very much.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
GTX and PYB...

Me too!
I quit GTX around 1990 because of varnish and stopped PYB a decade later, when various synthetics started ruling all the oil sales ads,

Last edited:
I used a lot of Chevron and Mobil 5000 in my first two 3800's that wally always had on the shelves but since I've owned my Lucerne wally doesn't stock these, I know I can order them but prefer just to pick up what they have in stock so I started using Advanced.

Sr5, I'm not necessarily meeting your criteria, because it no longer exists, but I really liked Quaker state defy when it was around. Boosted zinc, traditional non resource conserving hm oil. Used the 10/30 and 10/40 in various vehicles. I know qshm exists, and I've no doubt it's good oil, but it went the way of every other hm oil by going rc with sn limited zddp levels. Miss it.

Lifetime M1 user recently converted to SuperTech syn. Seems just as good, or better, than M1 and saving about $10 us per oil change. Recently converted die-hard daughter from M1 to SuperTech. We will see how well the oil holds up.

Valvoline conventional 10w-30 and 40. Still sold, still available, used it in EVERYTHING in my teens and 20's. Now Maxlife is the same price at Walmart, so if I'm too broke to buy Synthetic Maxlife, I buy a red jug, which is the same exact price as a white jug. Thankfully we've been in high cotton lately so the cars get the fancy schmancy Synthetic Maxlife.

I just got 6 jugs of Conventional Valvoline 10w-40 for $3.05 each at Advance, so I'll use it in my tractor for old times sake.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Lifetime M1 user recently converted to SuperTech syn. Seems just as good, or better, than M1 and saving about $10 us per oil change. Recently converted die-hard daughter from M1 to SuperTech. We will see how well the oil holds up.

A family member just bought a new 2019 Accord 1.5T. I didn't want to upset them with stories of carbon build up on valves, fuel dilution etc...(although it seems less problematic in the Accord than the Civic or CRV for some reason?). I'm going to suggest ST syn. and oil filters changed @ 5 to 6k. I don't see the need for more pricey syns. when changing that frequently. PS: I was a GTX guy in the 70s and 80s but eventually realized that there were many excellent oils.

Mobil1. It was always the "go to" synthetic.

I use Havoline and valvoline now.

Valvoline all climate. It was at one point the only oil I used in anything. Then I moved on to Pennzoil due to high moly content and my thoughts that it made my engine quieter( I still think it did but have no proof). I still like Pennzoil oils but will run anything dexos 1 gen 2 that is on sale as well. I don't believe that any oil meeting that specification is a bad product.

Way back in another time I owned a Harley FX shovel head with cast iron jugs. We'd run Kendall Nitro 70 (straight 70 weight) in the summer and drop back to straight 60 weight in the winter. Seriously.

[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

Originally Posted by BLND1
Mobil1. It was always the "go to" synthetic.

I use Havoline and valvoline now.

Mine as well. Now I buy whatever syn I get on sale.

If I pay full price I buy Valvoline or M1.

Last edited:
Back