General truck tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Researching tires for the avalanche.

Looking at the General Grabber A/TX and the General Grabber ATP

Both seem similar in reviews on tire rack. Same weight, load range. Both USA made. But the tread designs are different.

What do you think?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+A%2FTX&partnum=67TR7GRATXRWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2003&autoModel=Avalanche%204wd&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&partnum=67TR7GRAPTOWL&autoMake=

[Linked Image from tirerack.com]

[Linked Image from tirerack.com]

Last edited:
Where are you going to use them most? Highway Tire - ATP - A/TX - Offroad Tire

The A/TX will be louder and offer better mud and loose pack snow traction.

The ATP, better wet and ice traction, though either still worse than a highway tire.

The customer ratings for the A/TX are nonsense, it's more like a 5/10 rather than the 8.2 ice and 9.1 wet (meaning average. not bad, for an ATX tire), but they may have been comparing to their old, worn out, hardened compound tires.

Last edited:
Mostly highway, with towing a travel trailer. I do drive across fields, and use this to get to work when it snows.

I have the grabber hts on there now, and they are worn down, I want a bit more grip in the snow and mud.

I have the ATx on my truck currently. I have yet to drive on ice with them but in wet and snow they have been perfectly capable. I don't go out looking for mud holes but do drive through but I have some property I hunt/maintain with many roads through the woods and hay fields. They have been exceptional for that use.

My dad has the ATx on his Jeep Wrangler as well. He does more off road driving than I do and likes them as well. Much quieter than the Nitto mud terrains they replaced.

I had the AT2 which was the same tread pattern as the ATX on a Jeep and they were great in the snow/off-road and decent on the highway.

I have the General Grabber AT2's on my Dodge pickup during winter for snow traction. These tires are surprisingly civil on the highway. They are not as noisy as I expected them to be on the paved roads. The tires balanced nicely and are smooth riding. Good traction in the snow, especially deep unpacked snow. I see that some of the plow truck owners in the area really like these tires. That is why I bought them. I don't plow, but I use the Grabbers as winter tires. These tires have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake marking on the tire.

I say this keeping in mind that I have never had dedicated winter tires on this pickup, so I don't know if winter tires would be even better in the snow and ice.

It appears to me that the General Grabber A/TX is identical to the General Grabber A/T2 that I bought about 4 years ago.

For driving outside of winter, I have Michelin Defender MS2's that are have about 5/32 inch of tread remaining. I really like these tires on the pavement. They are quiet, smooth, last a long time and keep their balance. They were on the truck when I bought it. I prefer these tires for highway driving. They have poor traction in snow and ice. These are scary to drive on in winter.

Hope this helps?

The ATx is slightly more aggressive that the AT2. I had the At2 on my truck previously and ran them for 60k miles. Still at 5/32 when I replaced them and was definitely pleased with them all around. I would give a slight edge off road and so far in snow to the ATx. With a slight edge to the At2 when it comes to noise. I can hear the ATx with the radio off. I could never hear the At2's.

Last edited:
The ATX should perform better in the mud and dirt since it has a more aggressive tread design than the APT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back