Fram XG7317 20k miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Or is Honda just trying to cut some cost on their free oil change program?

Honda's recommendation to change the oil filter at every other oil change significantly pre-dates any free oil changes they may include on some vehicles.

But yet, Honda still recomments today a new filter every other oil change, given the requirements of the maintenance schedule. Any case of "severe" service will call for a filter change every oil change.

On the ridgeline (and I would guess all 3.5L V6 but cant say for sure) there is no severe component to the filter change

The component subject to severe change are -

air filter
cabin filter
timing belt
Diff fluid

Heres a copy of the manual page.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 3.56.45 PM.png

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
But yet, Honda still recomments today a new filter every other oil change, given the requirements of the maintenance schedule. Any case of "severe" service will call for a filter change every oil change.

As UncleDave points out, there is no 'severe service schedule' on a Honda that relates to engine oil & filter. As far as I know, there hasn't been one for quite a while. They use a Maintenance Minder system, and only every other oil change throws a "B" code to indicate a filter change, however you drive. FWIW, Honda's environmental impact policies are also very long-standing.

The max oil change is one year if the olm stays off past one year. It's a little interpretative but it seems that means oil filter every two years max under that condition. Honda says to change oil at least once a year. Makes sense with a low mileage driver with all the cold climates in the US.

Newer Ford OLMs will count down from 100% to 0% in one year just based on time, even if the vehicle is never driven. Not sure if other car makers's are doing the same thing too.

Filter is definitely used up but still looks great for the mileage. Thank you very much for posting the pics.
I would love to see more filters run out to their claimed maximum mileage, and C&P here.
Don't feel like doing the image search right now LOL.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thanks for the C & P. Interesting to see one with 20,000 miles. I often go for two OCI's with this filter but not as many miles.
smile.gif

That's how I see it - if I use something this good - getting two runs instead of one run on a cheap filter is "nuff said" - even if that's "just" 12k … my best engines trap a quart too - so that would be two quarts dirty if I went longer

I do OCI's at around 8K miles(2010 Honda civic with Valvoline full syn with Maxlife tech and use the Fram Ultras for 2 changes. They handle 16K mile very well...

Thanks great C & P.
Ultra is one of the best.
I used several.
Only negative to me is I can't stop thinking what happens if a small piece of the wire backing breaks loose......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back