Using kerosene/ heating oil in a common rail diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
As above Using kerosene/ heating oil in a common rail diesel engine

Is this possible we have 2 big tanks of kero/heating oil at the yard , now we have off- road bmw x3 using 2.0d m47 engine , that will be drove on private land

Will this vehicle run on kerosene , if so will it need added lubricants to help pump and Injector wear

Appreciate all replys

I'd not use kerosene at any more than 25% with additional lubrication in a common rail diesel. Common rail diesel operate at very high pressures and the lack of lubrication from the kerosene couldn't be good.

My friend runs heating oil in all of his diesels, they vary from an B5 S4 wagon with a swapped tuned tdi motor, to a 2016 A7 Tdi. He runs 2 stroke as an additive. Like others have said, 25% would be my max and Id definitely want an additive in there as well.

I would make sure the heating oil is ultra low sulfur. The emission control equipment is expensive.Would not run kerosine.

Last edited:
Jet-A is a kero based product. I tested it's lubricity at about 650 HFRR, which is terrible. The maximum spec (lower is better) for diesel is, I think, 450. Adding Stanadyne lubricity additive did not bring Jet-A into range. But adding 200 to 1 TCW-III along with Stanadyne lubricity additive brought Jet-A to 255, on the HFRR. (High Frequency Reciprocating Rig)

I've used that ratio for 20 years without any issues what so ever. Although I will admit the oil did not always completely burn in some devices (stationary low RPM generators) under low load and left an oily soot in the tailpipe. I bring that up because Catalytic Converters and DPF's may have trouble with higher oil concentrations. I never had any issues with Cat's. Never any issues with EGR or EGR coolers. The Cummins motorhome, Jetta, Mercedes, Dodge truck and other VW's never experienced any troubles of any sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back