hydraulic fluid vs paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
please excuse my ignorance, but is all hydraulic fluid as damaging to paint as brake fluid? My inlaws claim to have had their car doused with fluid from a garbage truck (don't ask)and I wonder how much damage will occur. they live in another state so I can't check it out myself.

Shouldn't be a big problem. Usually it is a mineral oil like PS fluid. It may take a strong soap to remove it. Running through a car wash should do it.

Most automotive hydraulic fluids aren't very corrosive, aviation fluid on the other hand, watch out! I would use a mild solvent then rewash with regular shop and then wax and you should be fine.

The hydraulic fluid is an petro oil that has no real damaging properties to paint it is like a power steering fluid.

thanks guys, I was fearing the worst. if it cleans bugs and tar off the paint the **** car might look better than it did before!

quote:

Originally posted by 1040 WreckerMan:
Most automotive hydraulic fluids aren't very corrosive, aviation fluid on the other hand, watch out! I would use a mild solvent then rewash with regular shop and then wax and you should be fine.

Yeah, skydrol is the worst of aviation fluid. It will eat any type of paint including epoxy paint on the hangar floor, it will turn plastic into rubber and eat the souls off of oil resistant shoes.

I don't remember the brand, might of been Skydrol, of hydraulic fluid and it did eat the paint off the hanger floor but that was ok since the wheels on my tool box melted and covered the areas of no paint!

5606 would just get sticky
lol.gif

bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back