Streaming question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch

20-30? Not even close to being fast enough. I am at 227 which is more than enough. TV, computer, multiple devices are always in use. Having said that, you should be at at least 60 to make it work OK.
How old is your router/modem? Have you unplugged them lately and let them reset? My ex's likes to dip below 50 after a couple months of use and it's noticeable when I'm there with the kids.

Now that's funny...

You can stream HD video on as little as 5mbps if I'm not mistaken.
That's exactly right. 5 Mbps is enough to stream most HD video content from sources such as Netfilx, Youtube, Prime Video, and many others, just as long as it's a reliable sustainable 5 Mbps and not some flaky service that fluctuates a lot and goes in and out.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Thanks for all the good info. I'm using ISP DSI communications. It's a line of sight deal that connects into fiber.

Line of sight as in some long distance microwave link / WISP? Those can be fairly unreliable as far as providing sustained consistent speeds because they're susceptible to significant interference.

Try this test and post up results:
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I've never been able to stream movies etc. before now. At present I'm streaming via wireless. It's been iffy so far. Would I get better streaming via an ethernet cable??

I didn't see where you said what device you're using to stream with. The built in TV streamer, Firestick, Roku, etc ... ?

When I went to a Roku my steaming was flawless compared to the built in streamer in my TVs. My newer smart TV was better than the older smart TV, but a Roku is going ensure good hardware.

And as far as IP speed, I've only got 20 mbs and I did a test and was able to play Amazon Prime movies on 5 devices all at the same time with no issues (2 smart TVs, desktop computer, tablet and phone).

Streaming with a lower end Samsung. Streaming Dish material.

Samsung what? TV? DVD player?

I agree with others to try a standalone streamer such as Roku or FireTV. It's worth the $25-$30 price, IMO.

Streaming Dish material.

IMO, there's the problem. Dish's streaming sucks, to put it simply. Try Netflix or Disney+, even for a "trial" period.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Mods: Can you move this to >>>>> Consumer Electronics and maybe change the title. TY

Did you report this thread ? Otherwise, you can't expect the staff to read every post in every thread in order to find a 'request' like this.

Thanks for all the good info. I'm using ISP DSI communications. It's a line of sight deal that connects into fiber. I'm using their router which is a small cube. It is 2 channel. There are no buttons on it. Speed tests give me between 20-30 mbps.
Streaming with a year old Samsung tv. Will get an ethernet cable to try that. Everything is wifi right now.

A potential issue is the TV as a streaming device. It could have poor WiFi connectivity or outdated streaming software in it that had bug(s). Ensure you go into TV settings and see if you can update it.

Sometimes a $40 Roku streaming device fixes a ton of problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Warstud
Mods: Can you move this to >>>>> Consumer Electronics and maybe change the title. TY

Did you report this thread ? Otherwise, you can't expect the staff to read every post in every thread in order to find a 'request' like this.

They put it in the Computers Section instead of the Consumer Electronics.

Well guys last night I watched a Prime movie in 1080p with no interruptions. When I first connected the tv to the internet, it only showed Netflix on the apps list. Evidently the tv updated at some point and last night it had numerous apps listed including the Disney app. So I think th ev update solved most of my problems. we'll see if it continues working well. If not I will get a Roku stick.
Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back