What happened to the 90 octane e15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago the old two tank above ground mom and pop gas stations would sell "any grade for the same price"

Remember those stations? Some were parked right next to a grainery.

Usually had at least two grades but some had many right to e85

Standard
87 rug e0
89 e10

Flexfuel
90e15
91e20
93e30

Every grade was the same price or occasionally the flex fuel options cheaper.

What happened to these stations?

Now days e0 is more expensive, 89 costs a lot more regardless of ethanol and 90 octane super doesn't seem to exist in any ethanol concentration, like it was discontinued state wide.

I used to see them all over until about 6 years ago,
not sure what happened.

89A3B533-8709-4BE4-A141-C8ADA9AC6329.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, that's an incredible spread. The Premium grade of petrol must either be at a real premium from the supply chain, *or* the proprietor senses that there's a limited subset of cars that require the higher octane and will pay for it at any price.

Whereabouts in Wisconsin? I could totally see that being the case in northern Wisconsin, where there's not that many vanity vehicles kicking around...

We have Mapco stations that have 89 E-15 but the Sheetz is 88 octane for E-15. Sheetz is a little cheaper, though. I'm in the Richmond, VA metro area.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Wow, that's an incredible spread.

Yikes! Worst I have ever seen (spread) until now was $1.10 a gallon difference!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Years ago the old two tank above ground mom and pop gas stations would sell "any grade for the same price"

Remember those stations? .
nope. Never seen an above ground tank in my 50 years.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Remember those stations? .
nope. Never seen an above ground tank in my 50 years.

CA=expensive land, guessing above ground tanks is a Midwest thing, sad I never thought to grab a pic of one.

They didn't use to be anything special (2 horizontal tanks by a small building)
but it seems they must have been dying dinosaurs . (Apparently)

An odd memory from my childhood is both local two tank stations I remember had the tanks up against a hill, one was rightbelow the railroad tracks and was very narrow between the hill with the tracks and the road, the tanks and building went into the hill a bit,
you were pretty much in the road to fill up,
they removed the station below the tracks early in my life but the tanks themselves were left there a LONG time and even appeared to be used and maintained.

My main point was the every grade the same price gimmick. That was commonplace throughout the 90's into relatively recently.

Usually at an old gas station that only had two grades but they left out the fact that one was gasahol and the other wasn't .

Unica and the Oli and Lena stations were the last I saw with a bunch of ever increasing ethanol buttons with similar or decreasing prices. I liked buying the 89 or 90 (when it existed) octane fuels for the same price other stations sold 87e10 for.

It seems that recently a lot of Wisconsin stations have gotten on the bandwagon of raping Premium and Midgrade users, all Krist stations do it, many Kwik Trips do it on premium (depends on the area), and it doesn't seem to be limited to any particular area, station pictured is downtown Wausau.
It's very rare I find less than a dollar spread, even nearing Milwaukee.

Cheapest gas seems to be Woodmans Rug or Kwik Trip 88 in Appleton, premium is still overpriced though.

I look forward to my monthly Appleton trip since gas is sometimes over 50 cents a gallon cheaper

A914D6ED-AD22-4A47-879D-480DAD76C277.jpeg

Last edited:
OP, what your speaking of sounds like it's/was limited to a small region. Some McDonalds have an eggnog shake right now as an example.

It used to be stations with pumps that looked sorta like this were very common, just curious why they all died out.

06ADD714-5981-4FBC-8FEF-94BBA2DF422A.jpeg

thats kind of odd all our "e85" here is min 51% ethanol.. apparently you need more gas/less ethanol in the winter.

Its pretty simple their giving you less for more money. When I worked on the Pipeline anything less than 92 was considered sub octane regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back