Ate up camshaft.pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had this engine rebuilt locally. Installed it in a 1986 Toyota pickup. I personally put the bottle of cam break in lube in it. We ran it @2000 rpm for 30 minutes

We let the customer drive it a week. After a week we changed the oil and filter. I also adjusted the valves at this time.

The customer is very good about oil changes and he uses Chevron delo 15w-40 in it.

Now 2 years and 30000 miles later he brings it in because it's not running right. Here is what we found.

IMG_20191214_110324_1.jpg

IMG_20191214_110337_1.jpg

Originally Posted by Chris142

The customer is very good about oil changes and he uses Chevron delo 15w-40 in it.

Okay, I realize that you're in California and it's always warm there. I got it.
But why is that engine getting a steady diet of 15W-40?

Wow! Have to wonder what brand cam that is!

I think i would put new lifters, and valve springs when you replace this cam.

All the parts in those pictures look really dry, as if oil never made it to the top end. What am I missing?

Originally Posted by terry274
All the parts in those pictures look really dry, as if oil never made it to the top end. What am I missing?

You are right, i don't see oil anywhere!

MAN all the wore down cam lobe metal running through the engine. I'm assuming there was oil up there since I don't see a pile of metal filings stacked up. Did you clean area with break cleaner and vacuum out the resisue before taking the picture?

Why would a 86 pickup need a new cam shaft unless it has over 500K miles. That was the famous 22R engine that ran FOREVER.
smile.gif
My dad put 400K miles on his and parked it still running when a lawn company saw it and bought it from him.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by terry274

You are right, i don't see oil anywhere!
that's after a trip to the solvent tank.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by Chris142

Okay, I realize that you're in California and it's always warm there. I got it.
But why is that engine getting a steady diet of 15W-40?

I don't know why he chose that oil. Update: that's what the rebuilder wanted.

Last edited:
I'm guessing there was a failure in the rocker arm or the shaft assembly. Maybe some sort of alignment/geometry issue. Could be a QC issue on aftermarket parts as well.

I think i would put new lifters, and valve springs when you replace this cam.

22r is an SOHC engine that doesn't use lifters. Rocker arms ride directly on the cam lobes.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
MAN all the wore down cam lobe metal running through the engine. I'm assuming there was oil up there since I don't see a pile of metal filings stacked up. Did you clean area with break cleaner and vacuum out the resisue before taking the picture?

Why would a 86 pickup need a new cam shaft unless it has over 500K miles. That was the famous 22R engine that ran FOREVER.
smile.gif
My dad put 400K miles on his and parked it still running when a lawn company saw it and bought it from him.

it had a major blow up! Part of a rebuild is a new cam.

Originally Posted by JC1
Chris,

How much oil was in the sump? Perhaps it was running low on oil.

He is pretty good about checking the oil. When it came to us the oil is 2 X's below the full line.

Flat-out ?
No lift motorsports?
Circle brand?

I feel bad for the guy...

I'd have a long chat with the rebuilder...look how those lobes are wiped most of the way across, but with a small part on the edge at normal height. Definitely some sort of build failure, wrong parts or alignment I can't say.

Also, there is rust on the shaft in one of the pictures. If this was a new cam, then I'd agree it wasn't getting oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back