Headlight Condensation

I have a 2010 Cadillac CTS and I have condensation behind my Headlights. How did it get there and
how can fix it? Thanks guys

Generally, between the clear part of the headlight and the back (bezel ?), there's a "seal" that's no longer 100%. You have to heat up the assembly, spread it apart, and replace the seal. This stuff, butyl replacement seal material from Morimoto, is considered top-notch stuff. It looks like rubber weatherstripping when you install it but when it's heated, it turns into caulk-like material.

I once found a breach in a seal by immersing the assembly in heated water. The heat caused the air in the assembly to heat up and bubble at the leak.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Take the assembly out, take the bulbs out. Bring it inside the house to dry out.

Which requires removing the bumper if I recall.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Take the assembly out, take the bulbs out. Bring it inside the house to dry out.

Which requires removing the bumper if I recall.

The OP asked how to fix it. If that's required, then he/she will have to do that.

Ohh that sucks, but I don't know how else you can seal all around the lens joint, without removing it.

Not particularly hard to remove but I always get nervous when I have to snap it out of the fender retainer. Often you tear the tabs on the bumper and then it doesn't fit good when you put it back.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Recently noticed my right front turn signal was not working. Found out why. Both this (1 year old aftermarket housing) and the left original OEM had leaks. The difference? The OEM stared leaking this year (my car is approaching 22 years old) and the aftermarket leaked after being only 6 mos. old. Our first snow this year melted and each of the lenses filled up. I was amazed at how the left signal continued to work even when bulb was submerged!!! Anyway, took both lens housings out, sealed with silicone, drilled two small holes for any future 'weaping' that might be needed. In went new bulbs and "Tada"!, signals all working again. I'm fortunate that on a '99, getting to these housings was not that tough. For good measure, I added some silicone grease on the old rubber washers? that snug the bulb sockets to the lens since I think this might have been one of any number of weak/leaking spots on the lens. Second bulb pic is of those that stayed lit while submerged. The housing closeup all dirty is the OEM Made in USA lens. The other is the aftermarket.

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2907.jpeg
    IMG_2907.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2912.jpeg
    IMG_2912.jpeg