Toyota WS ATF or Aisin WS ATF

If your question is have there been VOAs done on both ATFs to compare and definitively say they are identical, I've not seen them. However, the two have been discussed before and linked is one of the most recent. A good reference to the topic in my opinion. I'd just add, as I noted in that thread, simply because Aisin labels as single use WS, one can't assume it is identical to Toyota WS. Otoh, doesn't mean it's not perfectly fine to use in WS application either.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5104695/1

I'd bet $20 they are the exact same. Aisin is the only ATF that labels itself as "Type WS" as does the Toyota WS.

I pay $7.25 for Toyota WS at Lexus dealer and 4.50 for Toyota T-IV.

Check with some Toyota dealers in your area.

But as for me and my Lexus's, I only use Toyota WS.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'd bet $20 they are the exact same. Aisin is the only ATF that labels itself as "Type WS" as does the Toyota WS.
thumbsup2.gif

I thought so too but looks like theres some more. Beck Arnley has one thats genuine OE fluid. $5.74 a qt at Rock auto. Genuine at the dealer may be cheaper if you consider shipping.

Last edited:
I'd bet $20 they are the exact same
Based on a 'similar' type claim about Aisin DW1 on Amazon including bullet point "Genuine OEM automatic transmission fluid" and bottle "OEM engineered formula" now proven false multiple times, I'd take the bet. However seeing as there no VOAs of topic fluids, it's currently a moot point.

I would buy the Aisin as the Toyota-branded fluid hasn't proven very good. I think it's made by Eneos (JXTG).

Does Aisin, Idemitsu, etc. actually blend themselves, or just buy or repackage fluids from the main refiner in Japan (JX)?

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I would buy the Aisin as the Toyota-branded fluid hasn't proven very good. I think it's made by Eneos (JXTG).

Does Aisin, Idemitsu, etc. actually blend themselves, or just buy or repackage fluids from the main refiner in Japan (JX)?

What do you mean haven't proven very good?

I've used nothing but Toyota bottled WS in all my WS spec transmissions, as have many people with no issue. Price isn't that dramatically different and it eliminates the guess work. Toyotas with WS transmissions aren't known for having issues for the most part anyway

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Based on a 'similar' type claim about Aisin DW1 on Amazon including bullet point "Genuine OEM automatic transmission fluid" and bottle "OEM engineered formula" now proven false multiple times, I'd take the bet. However seeing as there no VOAs of topic fluids, it's currently a moot point.

Sayjac, the Aisin WS says on the bottle "Type WS". The Aisin "DW-1" you are speaking of says on the bottle "Formulated for DW-1 applications." I really don't see how you call them similar type claims. One says it is and the other says it isn't. I ain't paying any attention to the bullet points. I'm taking my info off the bottle.

thanks for the link, read that thread... will continue with the Toyota WS.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Sayjac, the Aisin WS says on the bottle "Type WS". The Aisin "DW-1" you are speaking of says on the bottle "Formulated for DW-1 applications." I really don't see how you call them similar type claims. One says it is and the other says it isn't. I ain't paying any attention to the bullet points. I'm taking my info off the bottle.
One thing certain, without VOAs of both there can be no resolution so my point(s) with basis as valid as yours. As noted, currently a moot point. So until VOAs of both your double sawbuck is safe from payment.
56.gif

After reading about this topic extensively on this site and a ton of Yota truck forums, Im convinced these trannies last so long despite the WS fluid, not because of it. I plan to run Maxlife when I do the pan drop on my 4runner.

On the other hand, the PDS for Aisin ATF-0WS says:
ATF-0WS specifically engineered for Toyota, Lexus and Scion. Low viscosity formula for increased fuel economy.

It doesn't say it is licensed/genuine Toyota ATF WS, for whatever that's worth. The Aisin ATF-0WS SDS says "AISIN ATF-0WS Formulated for vehicles using TYPE WS" so that's is pretty similar to the statement you posted above.

You can obviously buy what you want, but I'll stick with the Toyota WS fluid in mine. Automatic transmissions are sometimes finicky. When it comes to fluid and knowing how my family member's Tundra lasted 296,000 miles on the original fluid (no fluid change ever and no leaks) before it was totaled in an accident, I'll pay a little extra for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
Aisin is the manufacturer of the transmission, not Toyota. I would believe Aisin. Besides, I believe Toyota owns Aisin or most of it.

Originally Posted by kschachn
…..On the other hand, the PDS for Aisin ATF-0WS says:
ATF-0WS specifically engineered for Toyota, Lexus and Scion. Low viscosity formula for increased fuel economy.
It doesn't say it is licensed/genuine Toyota ATF WS, for whatever that's worth. The Aisin ATF-0WS SDS says "AISIN ATF-0WS Formulated for vehicles using TYPE WS" so that's is pretty similar to the statement you posted above.
Agreed. That is similar the Aisin DW1 statement "specifically engineered for Honda & Acura. Vehicles Requiring DW1 Type Transmission Fluid". And the aforementioned upper right hand corner "bottle statement" for both ATF-OWS and ATF-DW1, "OEM Engineered Formula", identical. So yeah, "pretty similar". Thus I think a fair analogy of the two products.

Fwiw, depending on cost I'd have no problem using Aisin OWS in a Toyota WS application. That's not the same as saying they are definitely the same product. That said, I'd have no problem using another readily available ATF mentioned in this thread that makes no illusion to being identical to Toyota WS.

As for $20 challenge accepted, all in good fun.

Toyota is all Aisin/Denso...

When I was changing a clutch on my LC....O have chosen Sachs...on the one side of the clutch plate it was stamped Sachs...on the other Aisin...

Back