Mobil 1 0W-40, 2820 Miles, 2000 Mercedes E55 AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my second UOA on the E55. Total miles is 119,220. A link to my first UOA is below. I changed the oil because it's been one year and I store it in the winter and like to have fresh oil in it while it sits. During the life of this current oil, I had to replace the oil cooler/oil filter housing which is the repair mentioned in the comments. I had to replace 0.5 quart of oil that leaked out during a repair. Iron is still a little higher than normal, but it's lower than the last sample (with less miles)

Some thoughts on the higher than normal iron: While this is an M113 engine, this is the AMG variant which has more displacement due to a longer stroke than it's 4.3 liter sibling. Could this longer stroke engine produce a little more iron than the 4.3? I'm sure BS doesn't have a vast amount of E55 engines in their database and they are comparing it to the 4.3 liter engine.

Another thought...I could be just flushing out the junk from the previous owner who may have had much longer OCI's?

2000 E55 UOA 11-2018

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 93
Last edited:
Well it appears your oil has sheared down to a 30 weight. Have no idea what sort of chart is Blackstone using but a 40 weight is minimum 12,5 cSt @100C per SAE. Yours is 11,x. That on its own, but more likely due to a corresponding drop in HTHS viscosity would explain elevated wear.
Clearly not a great oil for your engine.

Another thought I had is that the oil filter housing is attached to the engine by a 46mm nut inside the housing where the oil flows through. You have to torque the nut to 55 ft/lbs so maybe that could get some iron particles into the oil.

well the shorter OCI's don't help so run a 15/40 4k and have a look..can even go up from there, long as the ambient temps allow.

well the shorter OCI's don't help so run a 15/40 4k and have a look..can even go up from there, long as the ambient temps allow.

Originally Posted by PimTac
My guess is that the iron level is due to the fact it sits during the winter.

This makes sense , other than low mileage over a year .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back