Key fob 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compustar remote starter system and the key fob calls for two 2016 3v batteries, so my question is does this output 6v then? All the other key fobs I have has only take one battery.

A picture of plastic doesn't tell us much, but from a technical standpoint, the available voltage determines the max signal strength the remote can have so if they *Did It Right With Reason*, it could result in your having a larger remote control range than you otherwise would. Whether that is worth buying two batteries to achieve (if you had the choice versus it is what it is), is your call to make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
A picture of plastic doesn't tell us much, but from a technical standpoint, the available voltage determines the max signal strength the remote can have so if they *Did It Right With Reason*, it could result in your having a larger remote control range than you otherwise would. Whether that is worth buying two batteries to achieve (if you had the choice versus it is what it is), is your call to make.

Sorry if the link wasn't any help but thought someone else might have one like it.

So If I understand what you are saying that if I put in one 2032 which is about the same size as two 2016's stacked the fob would work but may loose some range. This is why I asked about the voltage, I have a bunch of 2032's a guy gave me and was hoping to use them up instead of wasting them but won't do it if it's going to eventually ruin the remote.

Sorry I just have never been able to wrap my head around electricity and how it works.

Last edited:
^ It depends on the design of the fob, whether it would work with one 2032 at that halved voltage. You will not ruin the fob with too low a voltage, but if it were designed for one cell and you stacked two, it is quite possible that higher than design voltage could cause damage.

If you put a half voltage single cell in and it works, it will still stop working sooner because the voltage will drop too low. I don't see it as being worth bothering to do because those little batteries are pretty inexpensive on ebay and tend to last years, as long as you are buying factory fresh rather than new old stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
^ It depends on the design of the fob, whether it would work with one 2032 at that halved voltage. You will not ruin the fob with too low a voltage, but if it were designed for one cell and you stacked two, it is quite possible that higher than design voltage could cause damage.

If you put a half voltage single cell in and it works, it will still stop working sooner because the voltage will drop too low. I don't see it as being worth bothering to do because those little batteries are pretty inexpensive on ebay and tend to last years, as long as you are buying factory fresh rather than new old stock.

Sorry I should of come back here and updated this, i really hate reading thru a thread with no real ending.

I tried sticking a new 2032 and it didn't work consistently and lost to much range. I can normally stand in my kitchen at the back of the house and it will start my truck parked out on the street, guessing a little over a hundred feet. With the 2032 I had to walk to the front of the house by a window before it would work. So I ordered a couple 2016's from amazon and all is back to normal.

The thing that blew me away is how long the Panasonic batteries lasted that came with it, almost 5 years. The other remote is still working on the original batteries, if I get half that out of the Energizers I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Check the package to see where those Energizers were made. I had to replace the battery in my Mazda fob but couldn't find Panasonic batteries. Looking at the Energizers I saw that they were made in Japan.

Maybe from the same factory? Who knows.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Check the package to see where those Energizers were made. I had to replace the battery in my Mazda fob but couldn't find Panasonic batteries. Looking at the Energizers I saw that they were made in Japan.

Maybe from the same factory? Who knows.

Mine say Mexico but there is also a sticker that covers most of the back and I can't get it off without taking the the text with it. One thing I have been disappointed in is aren't these 3v coin batteries suppose to be 3.3v? I have never purchased a 3v coin battery that has been 3.3v, the ones I just ordered are better than most but only read 3.11v. I know they need to be put under a pulsating load for a true test.

Amazon has Panasonic but I usually buy batteries at wally, I've had to many dead coin batteries right out of the pack from amazon, I only ordered the 2016's because no one had them in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back