2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe Revealed

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
MSRP starting at what, like $236,000 now? Easily financed with a 22-year loan!
smile.gif

???

Not quite

smile.gif

Probably 60k for a decent mid level suburban. I expect it to have some good lease rates cause thats what people do when they can't afford a $60k car note, they lease it first. Or they have a paid off older model to trade in. These always have some resale value later on, even with high miles.

20k trade in equity puts you about $530 a month for 84 months (yeah pretty crazy, but people do it) Or i'm guessing lease payments in the 600 range if you have no trade in. If you need a vehicle this big and brand new you likely have a large family and decent income so probably not a big deal to shell out 600 a month.

i take a lot of you folks are past the age of 40 and therefor feel that way.

i think truck looks modern and finally has a modern interior. always wanted a yukon but never got one because of the plastic interior.
so went with an BMW X5 instead

Originally Posted by dareo
I think this is a very interesting vehicle. The Tahoe is now a good bit larger. Previous gen was Wide, Heavy, and Short. Why was it so short? Your either driving a giant SUV or your not,.

I agree. Nice to see the Tahoe/Yukon grow a bit in length as the outgoing model had almost zero cargo room behind the 3rd row which is why we opted for the XL with 3 young kids. These strollers take up way too much space!

Originally Posted by 4WD
I saw another picture that looked like a Z71 version - that tied in the aggressive front better - but I'm biased towards monotone paint on trucks ….

I actually like the look of the Z71 version, the front end is still a little much, but overall it's not bad looking. I think with some sort of body color bumper bar to break up the black expanse in the front, and sail mounted mirrors, it would look really good.

[Linked Image from i.kinja-img.com]

[Linked Image from i.kinja-img.com]

https://jalopnik.com/2021-chevrolet-suburban-and-2021-chevrolet-tahoe-here-1840349873

The front is polarizing. The hood stays somewhat flat to allow for the big grill. Those side cuts near the bottom plus the lower trim below the grill give it the Bubba from Forest Gump look.

The rest looks like it has for years.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by dogememe
If I win the lottery I'd so some maintenance on my 2001 Suburban vs buying that ugly thing. The diesel might be a hit due to MPG... I am excited to see how the Yukon and Escalade will look!

The 2001 looks like a 1991 it was made with cheap dated material and it was obsolete when new. A 2001 Suburban is not exactly GM's crowning achievement and it's a perfect example how GM's decision making process led it into bankruptcy.

Lolwut? It's no BMW but that's why I bought it... It's cheap and easy to fix and reliable. Despite the cylinder 3 misfire above 4500rpm I have a thread about I'd drive this thing anywhere anytime and I have no doubt I'd get there. You go drop the big bucks on the new one and I'll be happy with what I got. Unless you wanna buy me a new Suburban?

Last edited:
The Suburban is a mechanically bullet-proof vehicle, without question, and I love them. I drive them at work, I rent them when I head back to the States for vacations and when I'm in the market for another vehicle in 2 years time, the Yukon XL is the only vehicle on my list. With the exception of the GMT800s in terms of styling, I have yet to dislike any generation of Suburban.

That being said, build quality in the past has left a lot to be desired. Even on the GMT900s built between '07-'14, you had cracking dashboards for instance, which was very common on all the Caprices and Parisiennes we had in the family back in the 1980s; right there with sunvisors dropping down, interior and outside door handles that would snap off among other things. You would think this would be something they addressed in two decades. Cost cutting is always an issue, and it's not just a GM thing; I've noticed thinner carpets, for example, across the industry, not just GM products. But flaws like cracking dashboards should not be an issue in this day and age.

GM has not been a market leader in build quality for a very long time, unfortunately. They have, however, been stellar when it comes to drivetrains; particularly their V8s. The GMT K2XX vehicles built between '15-'20 have definitely been an improvement compared to the GMT900 in all aspects - softer, better quality interior materials are particularly noticeable. Now it looks like they have taken it up a couple notches with the GMT1YC.

Originally Posted by GMguy84

Says you.

Just sold a 2001 suburban with 255K miles and aside from ABS module and knock sensor issue, it was still running great !! Heck..my brother even drove it 1400 miles round trip to Denver for a work conference and had NO issues.

Also had ANOTHER 2001 Suburban I sold earlier this year with 275K miles that i owned for several years and took me ALL OVER western USA with NO serious mechanical failures

Not the most stylish truck, But [censored] reliable and practical for most of us

Dave

GM quality of vehicle of this era was pitiful. Piston slap, bad intake gaskets, failing fuel pumps, misaligned doors, and a power train at least 5 years behind the competition.

Congrats finding two examples of a decent vehicle. I had a tailgate fall off my Silverado within a year manufacturer in this era. So it not "says me" GM produced garbage during this timeframe.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by GMguy84

Says you.

Just sold a 2001 suburban with 255K miles and aside from ABS module and knock sensor issue, it was still running great !! Heck..my brother even drove it 1400 miles round trip to Denver for a work conference and had NO issues.

Also had ANOTHER 2001 Suburban I sold earlier this year with 275K miles that i owned for several years and took me ALL OVER western USA with NO serious mechanical failures

Not the most stylish truck, But [censored] reliable and practical for most of us

Dave

GM quality of vehicle of this era was pitiful. Piston slap, bad intake gaskets, failing fuel pumps, misaligned doors, and a power train at least 5 years behind the competition.

Congrats finding two examples of a decent vehicle. I had a tailgate fall off my Silverado within a year manufacturer in this era. So it not "says me" GM produced garbage during this timeframe.

The LS engine is reliable, simple, durable, and quite efficient for what it is. And has been used across dozens of models of vehicles... And it's pretty much replaced the classic Chevy small block as the choice for hot rodders and engine swaps. The 4L60E is archaic and doesn't always last when abused yet may of them out there with seriously high miles! As for 5 years behind the time... What was the competition? Ford's 3 valve 5.4 turd and the Dodge 4.7s that drop valves?

I hear you on the fuel pumps haha. GM could have done better. But I work at a parts store and yes people come in and buy fuel pumps for Fords, Toyotas, and Kias too..

Intake gaskets aren't a big deal... An easy job, since there is no coolant passing through. At least it's not like the 4.6/5.4 Ford 2 valves where the entire intake would crack with a pretty much 100% failure rate.

Last edited:
Yeah: BiL had piston slap most of his 400k … that truck had tires, brake pads, disks, and two wheel bearings
No engine or transmission repairs
Other friends/family put 200k on them. Most for me was 130k and traded on another

No the 5.4 does not have a 100% failure rate only if you want to state if any engine runs long enough it will fail. Nothing says quality and pride like replacing new engine gaskets within a year.

Ugh, not feeling the front end. GM touted the Tahoe/Suburban's capability to tow - let's see how the IRS setup works. For one thing, since the Escalade is essentially an Tahoe, it might improve the ride quality.

It's still going to be a best seller for GM. Most don't tow or off-road their SUVs.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS

GM has not been a market leader in build quality for a very long time, unfortunately. They have, however, been stellar when it comes to drivetrains; particularly their V8s. The GMT K2XX vehicles built between '15-'20 have definitely been an improvement compared to the GMT900 in all aspects - softer, better quality interior materials are particularly noticeable. Now it looks like they have taken it up a couple notches with the GMT1YC.

I have 2016 5.3 Tahoe. So far [75K miles.. knock on wood] just plain old regular maintenance. Nothing else. Get between 24-25 MPG if it is all highway. A/C system is constantly on. Use only 87 regular Mobil fuel.

I used to have a lot of back pain on long trips on my pervious vehicle which was a Town Car. No back pain in the Tahoe.

smile.gif

You can go to GMC's website and price the 2020's. Kinda loaded up you can get them over 80k but I think they can start around 50k for the base model and then you have all those discounts. Probably why people like to buy used. They can't to too crazy even for a new model so probably just a few thousand extra.

Originally Posted by jsickz32
i take a lot of you folks are past the age of 40 and therefor feel that way.

i think truck looks modern and finally has a modern interior. always wanted a yukon but never got one because of the plastic interior.
so went with an BMW X5 instead

I agree the Burb and Tahoe actually look good to me. Unlike the 2019-2020 Silverado.

Back