How straight does a oscillating saw cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How straight does a oscillating saw cut?

My sister has a 6" high base moulding in her foyer area that she'd like a section cut out so she can push a chest up against the wall to look like it's built in.

I'd like to cut it so I don't have take the moulding off to cut it on my table saw or miter saw.

If you want to make straight cuts then use a piece of wood to support the blade. If you need to make vertical cuts then you'll need to make an L shaped or T shaped jig to support the blade. Trying to do it freehand will not produce nice results IMO.

Perfectly straight, according to the operator input. You can draw a line on each side and follow it with the saw until it cuts through with several passes. I think these make jobs like that so easy. I tend to use mine at a mid to low range speed unless I get impatient.

Originally Posted by JC1
If you want to make straight cuts then use a piece of wood to support the blade. If you need to make vertical cuts then you'll need to make an L shaped or T shaped jig to support the blade. Trying to do it freehand will not produce nice results IMO.

This! The blade will have flex when it first bites the wood. A piece of wood in front of the section you want to cut will prevent the blade from flexing in that direction.

Use a speed square as a guide, forget the wood.

EDIT: Use the off cut to cut reveals for the ends, that's how you make it look like a built-in.

Last edited:
Of course making guides is better, but what I said, draw a line and follow it is fine for cutting baseboards. This year I installed new baseboards in the house. I don't know about blade flex I never encountered any. A little experience getting the feel of things and how to steady the saw, and freehand cuts are very precise and easy. I got the blades in various kinds on ebay reasonably. Seem to work ok, blades wear out pretty fast anyway.

I would go with the mark not measure method. Push the chest up to the base board and scribe along the edge chest,marking the baseboard. Then make your first cuts parallel to these but half an inch shy towards the middle. Take out the long scrap. Now you can make your fine finish cuts along the scribed line. Easier to deal with the smaller 1/2 inch pieces than the one long piece. If you slip a thin putty knife between the base and the wall near the top you don't have to worry about the blade hopping up,gouging the wall. Sisters notice those kind of things. Even on the pro bono jobs.

Originally Posted by Mazomopar
I would go with the mark not measure method. Push the chest up to the base board and scribe along the edge chest,marking the baseboard. Then make your first cuts parallel to these but half an inch shy towards the middle. Take out the long scrap. Now you can make your fine finish cuts along the scribed line. Easier to deal with the smaller 1/2 inch pieces than the one long piece. If you slip a thin putty knife between the base and the wall near the top you don't have to worry about the blade hopping up,gouging the wall. Sisters notice those kind of things. Even on the pro bono jobs.

^This is how I cut baseboards...rough cut first and then finish cut later. However, you won't be able to slide the cabinet in if you cut it too tight. A clearance of 1/16 or 1/8 inch along the cabinet will work better. Then just fill the gap with painters caulk before applying paint if you want it to look seamless.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but, any recommendations for an oscillating saw? I've been meaning to buy one for a while now, seems like the kind of tool that would be nice to have available.

Thanks everyone. I don't want to choose any one person to Thank. This is what I am going to do.

Push up the chest and Mark the baseboard. Then move over several inches, set up a straight board as a blade guide screwing in the discarded baseboard and practice! since this part is not going to be used. If it works out well, I can then remove this larger piece and will be left with only a small piece putting a putty knife and a small moulding pry bar behind the baseboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back