Book Rates vs Reality

Wife took in her 2018 Tiguan(50k) for 2 recalls and $80 oil change.They mentioned brakes were 90% worn but more pointing out rotors have issues.

They quoted $685 for new front pads and rotors. I self checked VW pricing on rotors and pads and parts added up to about $330 MSRP.

My question leads over to the $350 likely for labor. I am guessing 2.5 hrs labor. (sheer guess 1.5 hr of tech time overall)

Do dealers charge a flat rate for rotors and another flat rate for brake pads even though there is overlap? eg charge per item?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Do dealers charge a flat rate for rotors and another flat rate for brake pads even though there is overlap? eg charge per item?

No, not usually.
They'd probably group it all under one cost that's less than the total of individual items, but more than one item.

Shouldn't the question be are the brakes really in need of replacement so soon ?

Brakes are a big profit center for a dealer service department. Some dealers know brakes are a scaremonger item and do whatever they can to inflate the bill.
You can get quality German made coated Zimmerman rotors and OEM VW brake pads for about $250. Are you capable of doing a brake job?

"Rotors have issues"? Such as pedal or steering pulsating while braking, rust, stealership quota? I'd jack it up and pull the wheels & have a look if it was me.

Dealership speak ... those brake pads are worn 90 % , and the rotors have some issues. You should replace them very soon. If the brakes fail, you could DIE.

Reality ... the brake pads are 50 % worn, the rotors don't look new anymore, and you should check them again in a year ...

They were not pushing it with her. Just observation , they were concerned about 2/32 and 3/32 tires which is reality of car and offered tires quote.

Originally Posted by madRiver
They were not pushing it with her. Just observation , they were concerned about 2/32 and 3/32 tires which is reality of car and offered tires quote.

Some dealers will menu-price common maintenance work, which means charging a fixed labor charge but they will still pay the technician the correct labor time.

But most dealers around here will charge 2.0 hr per axle for brake jobs at their regular rate.

I would expect to see parts billed at 1/3 to 1/2 over msrp.

Originally Posted by philipp10
In what world are rotors in need of replacement on a 2018 car? Seems crazy.

All the time.

Maybe it is the area, but >75% of the front brake jobs I do will need new rotors. Either new rotors or resurface the old ones using an on-car lathe, but new is easier.

Almost all of the late-model cars seem to have brake pulsation issues, at least the makes that I work on. Starting to see the issue on Euro cars as well since they are switching away from the semi-metallic pads.

My 2012 Jetta still has the original brakes on the front end at 135K miles. Replaced the rears 15K ago. Is your wife hard on the brakes?

Also when I worked at the VW dealership they would have lube techs do brakes, spark plugs, etc. And they paid us $10 an hour. They had me doing brakes my first week and they knew almost nothing about me. They screwed everyone but themselves.

Why not just pick up a set of rotors and pads from FCPeuro, they have a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell. I'm not too surprised at 50k having worn pads. If you drive a lot in the city, they can wear out quick with lots of stop and go traffic, especially when it's bad in the northeast. I've gotten gas mileage of about 12mpg on a tank of gas when I'm stuck in traffic a lot when when I'm supposed to get 16-18. Brakes are pretty simple, pretty much any indy mechanic can do them for $50-$100. You just have to call around to find one that will let you bring your own parts.

Originally Posted by Ws6
You're paying the Euro tax, lol

Tell me about it. Dealership wants $109 to do an oil change to a compact car. No thanks!

What's a good set of aftermarket pads and rotors cost for this Tiguan.

I couldn't imagine paying ~$700/axle for a brake job but I suppose that will be the new norm at some point.

So most here are questioning the dealer and if the brakes actually do need replacement. Yet the OP is driving around (his wife actually-it's her car) on BALD tires which he said are 2/32 - 3/32!

Thank goodness New England doesn't get any snow or ice or rain!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
In what world are rotors in need of replacement on a 2018 car? Seems crazy.

All the time.

Maybe it is the area, but >75% of the front brake jobs I do will need new rotors. Either new rotors or resurface the old ones using an on-car lathe, but new is easier.

Almost all of the late-model cars seem to have brake pulsation issues, at least the makes that I work on. Starting to see the issue on Euro cars as well since they are switching away from the semi-metallic pads.

That's crazy. I started driving in the late 70's and didn't replace a rotor until about 5 years ago. I would argue people are a but too quick to change rotors. I just accept a bit of pulse I suppose.

Last edited:
I started driving in the late 70's and didn't replace a rotor until about 5 years ago. I would argue people are a but too quick to change rotors. I just accept a bit of pulse I suppose.

That is a good run!!

I'm surprised in all those years none of them fell below minimum thickness.

Originally Posted by JTK
I started driving in the late 70's and didn't replace a rotor until about 5 years ago. I would argue people are a but too quick to change rotors. I just accept a bit of pulse I suppose.

That is a good run!!

I'm surprised in all those years none of them fell below minimum thickness.

I never turned them....nor did I check thickness. Got to realize the old pads didn't chew up rotors like they do today.

Last edited:
Back