Battery replaced after a few slow starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few slow starts I replaced the battery in my beater G6. The auto craft gold was in use for 6 years 1 month I usually change at 5 years but lost track of time. Put in a AC Delco battery that's been in my storage room in the basement for 2 years on and off a trickle charger the whole time. When I leased the traverse 2 years ago the dealership gave me a $100 voucher to use towards accessories. While the salesman was showing my wife the truck I went to the parts department and got the battery free for the G6. I'm surprised I got that much life out of the auto craft. I'm just wondering how long AC Delco will last since it sat around for awhile and not always on a trickle charger.Also the Auto craft looks good no leaking or swelling.

IMG_20191213_092936612_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191213_094314080_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191213_094336732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191213_094246733_HDR.jpg

Originally Posted by AZjeff
He put in a new unused 2 year old battery. Should he toss it?

It's not getting tossed it's already installed but I'm guessing no way I'm getting more then a couple of years out of it.

New and old both JCI batteries.

OP mentions trickle charger. If thats the case its typically a 2 amp charger that never shuts off.

But some say trickle charger meaning a battery maintainer like a Battery Minder or Battery Tender.

Not sure why you are posting this question? Put the battery on a full charge, let it sit for 24 hours and then have someone test with carbon pile load tester. You will know the answer to your question whether to use it or not.

My original AC Delco battery lasted 6 years. The next two batteries from Walmart lasted 8 months. I bought AC Delco again and no problems for the past year. I monitor voltage and charge current on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
Not sure why you are posting this question? Put the battery on a full charge, let it sit for 24 hours and then have someone test with carbon pile load tester. You will know the answer to your question whether to use it or not.

My original AC Delco battery lasted 6 years. The next two batteries from Walmart lasted 8 months. I bought AC Delco again and no problems for the past year. I monitor voltage and charge current on a daily basis.

Sadly to bring it to a shop around here a carbon pile test is considered diagnostic and that's $100 it will get waived if I decide to let them change the battery so it's a no win either way. You're my hero by monitoring voltage and charge current daily curious how you do it please explain.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole

Sadly to bring it to a shop around here a carbon pile test is considered diagnostic and that's $100 it will get waived if I decide to let them change the battery so it's a no win either way. You're my hero by monitoring voltage and charge current daily curious how you do it please explain.

I use an Ultra Gauge MX to tap into the engine and transmission live data. It is plug and play OBDII device. Check and reset codes, monitor live data, set alarms to alert you long before the idiot lights come on or CEL cause your car to go into limp mode. I don't have to use my phone. It has 8 screens of up to 8 parameters each you can create on your own. Cost is less than $90 and a great gift to someone who likes cars and wants to know more about what is happening behind dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back