D25 Xenon HID Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Below is my post - they were not the light in the chart and not the light in Jeff's link. I found them on a US ranking site that considered service life as I mentioned. They were indeed brighter and whiter than stock - but not as bright as Silverstar Ultra.
I had to pull the bumper cover off that car, not enough hours in some of the Autozone offerings. Changed 10 bulbs.
As for a German ranking site - I would not even know how to figure which ones are legal - and I'm not going to be that _____ blinding everyone else on the road.

All the HID bulbs in the list are legal in both the US and Europe. Europe has much more strict laws on what's legal and not. HID bulbs aren't like halogens in that the brighter ones "burn out" faster than the dimmer ones. They all roughly the same service life, or at least 1000-1500 hours. I believe the 3% failure rate for most HID bulbs is at 1500 hours of operation.

Silverstar Ultra is easy to find and powerful

That's not what Sylvania says.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Dave_Mark
Any major brand D2S will be just fine, be it Philips, Osram, GE, or Sylvania. Check Amazon instead of going to parts stores unless you like paying double the price for a basic D2S bulb.

Before internet?

Osram is Osram Silvania … the top bulbs of each line are neck and neck in reach/color.
As I mentioned … I was looking for more power without a short life.
You did not specify HID only in the context of the post … so the comments about HID life mean nothing to me … I did not suggest them.

Here is a shot from the Sylvania lookup site … H1 for SS

You can rub on the housings with cleaner wax and actual products …
but if not happy a new eBay set should be under $250

7F9EE004-1E1B-4B94-9211-147B77517521.png

Light bulbs? Always Osram or Philips. That is where I am done with search.
I just replaced in Tiguan both HiD's. They were Osram, installed Phillips. Seems that OE Osram's were just bit better, but nothing significant.

After another day and some requisite night use, I am very happy with the results as the lights are nice and bright. 100% satisfied.
They replaced 13 year old, 194K mile original bulbs; Oshram I think.
I bought "Philips 85122CVS2 D2S CrystalVision ultra Authentic Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack" from Amazon Prime.
The price is $145; I bought a returned set for $78 I believe because I'm cheap. The original package was unopened.

Again thanks to those who posted anf 4WD for his reommendation.
All good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back